300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King County Sheriff Office

Wanted to start a new thread since everyone who tested with NTN and did not get a written offer by Oct 31, will be needing to test with PST if they choose to do so. The county is super backed up with applicants/backgrounds and the dept is having some trouble keeping up.

I had an oral board in August (tested with NTN) and was told last week I needed to test with PST. I have already tested with PST earlier in the year, hoping they honor that score.

Comment

Originally posted by pnw15 View Post
      I had an oral board in August (tested with NTN) and was told last week I needed to test with PST. I have already tested with PST earlier in the year, hoping they honor that score.
      Sweet. What was your OB score?

Comment

OB coming up on Wednesday. Nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sincity View Post

Sweet. What was your OB score?
          That was not disclosed to me. All I was told was to either test with PST or pull my app. I'll post itt when I hear back if they honor my PST score from earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by RaspiestShrimp View Post
            OB coming up on Wednesday. Nervous.
            How’d your oral board go/how do you feel it went?

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              Not well! LOL

The Deputies were thoroughly unimpressed with my military experience. Kinda all I have to lean on, being that has been my entire adult life (just about ten years in).

• R89
              R89 commented
              Editing a comment
              How were the unimpressed? I’m prior service as well (army).
              It might have not seemed like it went well, but in reality it might have! After I finished mine (in July) I was stressing a bit over if I talked long enough, not enough, my answers, my military experience, etc.. but I ended up passing... so you never know!!
              Was it your first PD/SO oral board ever?

How were the unimpressed? I’m prior service as well (army).
            It might have not seemed like it went well, but in reality it might have! After I finished mine (in July) I was stressing a bit over if I talked long enough, not enough, my answers, my military experience, etc.. but I ended up passing... so you never know!!
            Was it your first PD/SO oral board ever?

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for the positivity! We'll see how it goes, but I am not holding my breath. I have had three oral boards with other departments (all of which I am still 'in the process' with) and, compared to those, this was not a positive experience. I believe, like you, that I did not speak for long enough. On at least two occasions, the HR rep. asked me to elaborate a little bit more about my answers. I currently work in aircraft launch/recovery at NAS Whidbey and, in my other boards, have received some feedback about how relevant that is to the job and how well my answers were formulated etc etc. This one was not like that at all! I'll keep my fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath; would love to work for KCSO so we'll see what happens!

• R89
              R89 commented
              Editing a comment
              No problem! I wish you the best of luck in your processes! KCSO is the only agency I’m in the hiring process with! I had originally tested with NTN in June, then passed my OB, and was in the background process. But they switched test providers to PST, so I had to re-test. Now just waiting to see where I rank on the new list.
              That’s good that you got feedback on other oral boards too. My OB with KCSO was my second oral board ever, I didn’t pass the one with Seattle PD back in April.
              Whatever is meant to be will be! Good luck!! Let us know if you did or didn’t pass!

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, brother! Will do! I'm a fan of letting things fall where they may; like I said, fingers crossed and no holding of the breath. Curious to see where you rank, as well! Good luck to you

I remember I went to my OB at KCSO and it went pretty stellar. I remember mine being really scenario and decision-making based. They even asked a question that was soooo obvious what they right answer was I felt stumped, thinking that no way is that right. But it was. Another perk for me is I ran into the Undersheriff who overseas hiring in the elevator. I shot my "elevator pitch" from the hip and he had this ****eating grin on his face. I'm a vet, and I can say of all hiring processes I have been in, no one was "unimpressed" with my military experience as you say. But think of it like this, as long as your service is honorable, most PD's see it the same. Honorable service as a cook is the same light as honorable service as a MP or flight mechanic or so on and so on.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you currently employed with KCSO? I only had one scenario-based question. My post wasn't about whether or not my service is (still active) honorable; I don't think we're discussing the same topic.

• scotty_appleton814
              scotty_appleton814 commented
              Editing a comment
              You had said the deputies seemed unimpressed with your service. I am not employed, I was given an offer and academy date but I had to humbly decline it to take a job back home. Yea I had the same kinda board you did. I got asked scenaro questions and then questions to see how I would act, I guess morally I would call it. I have to say I do believe I would have been very happy had I stayed there. I moved back to IL. I am serious, every other Friday I look at my pay stub and kick myself when I look at the taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i know how you felt my man. Unfortunately my gut feeling on how the OB went pretty much was align with my score. I'll be testing again in a few weeks. Been going over the PST Study guide. Hope i do better on it than i did with NTN. I got an 85 overall with NTN

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you will be good to go, brother. From all the accounts I have heard: PST seems to be the easier of the two. With your fire background and all that, I'd imagine you'll knock it out. Maybe consider throwing in for multiple agencies, as well.

• Sincity
              Sincity commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks man! Yeah i got a 73 on NTN HR portion so that and my OB score didn't help me LOL But yes i will be putting in for more depts.

• scotty_appleton814
              scotty_appleton814 commented
              Editing a comment
              Its a numbers game, apply to as many as you can.

• Sincity
              Sincity commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Scotty - I've been on this forum before i made an account and it seems like the general take on schedules is 8s suck and aren't a good work/life balance. Has KCSO thought about moving away from the current schedule? Seems like 8s don't leave much room for OT and recouping/personal life before heading back to the field. What's the general thought by the deputies? You guys love the schedule , would like for it to change or if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Originally posted by R89 View Post

How’d your oral board go/how do you feel it went?
            I think it went average, I know I messed up on one question because the HR rep repeated it a couple times. I think I was just taking to long to get to the point.

I'm bummed because I scored in the upper 90s in all the NTN categories and only got an 80 on the PST test. Was supposed to hear back yesterday from HR but they never got a hold of me.

Comment

• pnw15
              pnw15 commented
              Editing a comment
              My OB was in August. I was supposed to hear back if they would accept my PST score from earlier in the year. Congrats on getting to background!

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              It's weird they haven't contacted you. Did you score pretty well? Being that your test is good for one year, they should accept it, right?

Thanks; I'm not too optimistic about my ranking, though. My board was a disaster lol.

• pnw15
              pnw15 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure what I scored on my OB, I'll ask and see if they will tell me. I think the problem is with PST not releasing my score to King CO since at the time of the test they were not a selected agency.

Ranking doesn't really matter now that you're in background so I wouldn't worry about it.

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, yeah. I tried to do the same thing with Federal Way. Might be easier for you to just test again.

Thanks for the information!

So....I just received an email from KCSO HR peeps. Apparently, my board went quite a bit better than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by RaspiestShrimp View Post
              So....I just received an email from KCSO HR peeps. Apparently, my board went quite a bit better than I thought.
              This is how it goes for me, also. I leave there thinking it wasn't great, and usually am pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Glad to hear yours went well.

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
                RaspiestShrimp commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you! Stoked to be done with this portion of the hiring process for all the agencies on my list.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2846 users online. 156 members and 2690 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X