300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Justice Certficate

I am looking to pursue a career in law enforcement. I was wondering how departments view applicants who only have a certficate in criminal justice, and not an actual degree. Any input would help. Thanks

It's a complete waste of your time and money. Why pay for something that gets you nothing? Go to real school.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Any degree from a non accredited school is money down the drain. Chances are if you see a commercial for it, it's a waste. Get a real degree from a real accreditted school.

Comment

It's a certificate program offered by Pierce College. Just thought that would be quicker then spending the 2 or 4 years for a degree.

Comment

• heather_w101
          heather_w101 commented
          Editing a comment
          The certificates that Pierce offers are more of a bonus to tag on to a degree you already have. They aren't used to obtain job by themselves. They offer a CSI certificate I believe, so if you have a B.A. in CJ and are leaning more toward a job in CSI that certificate would be a bonus, but really isn't going to do much.

Unless it is a minimum requirement of the job, it's meaningless. The best you can hope for is in obtaining the certificate is you might learn enough to correctly answer a few more test questions on the civil service exam and get a slightly higher score. Other than that, it's like putting lipstick on a pig.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Pierce College is a reputable school, but the Certificates they offer are useless. They won't give you an upper hand in anything and criminal justice degrees are not worth 1/10 of what they cost.

Comment

A reputable school won't offer certificates that don't mean anything. Tells me a lot right there.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              A reputable school won't offer certificates that don't mean anything. Tells me a lot right there.
              Certificates in general don't mean much.Plenty good enough to start that streak, but doesn't mean I would have taken any if their certificate-only tracts.
              Last edited by MichaelW1982; 04-30-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Offering certificates that don't do anything is a rip off. They know that, yet they keep doing it. Just like ITT, DeVry, etc etc. They only do it for profit, not education: which is the purpose of a Community College.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  Offering certificates that don't do anything is a rip off. They know that, yet they keep doing it. Just like ITT, DeVry, etc etc. They only do it for profit, not education: which is the purpose of a Community College.
                  I wouldn't say CC aren't about education. I went to a fully accredited CC and all of my credits transferred. Saved me about $30,000 by cutting two years of the University tuition I had to pay after transferring to get my Bachelors.

Comment

If your going to vocational school for a quick skill like programming, certificates are fine. However, departments will only recognize actual nationally recognized schools for the degree to be worth anything. A certificate may help you understand and give you a leg up while at the academy, and it may help over someone that has no extra schooling, but that is about it. Some hiring, most promotions and all extra education pay normally require a degree of some sort. If you are going to take the time to go to school, get at least an AA degree.

Do not get a CJ degree, it has limited purpose in the work place (in and outside of police work). Get something that will help you in case you don't get a job here or get hurt while on the job. a general business degree would be a good example.
                    I don't check to see if the glass is half full, I make sure its not dirty.

Comment

A certificate is fine if you pick it up on the way to a degree but all a certificate REALLY means is you didn't get the full AA/AS yet.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5728 users online. 359 members and 5369 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X