300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVEO Employment

I saw the job posting for CVEO's and have been trying to do some research on them. From what I understand, they are sworn members of the Washington State Patrol and mostly work at weigh stations and make a little less than troopers, but are CVEO's able to switch over to being a trooper after hire? Is there really any room for progression within CVEO's other than just CVEO 1, 2, 3, and 4? Has anyone had experience working in this position?

My unsolicited advice would be that if you are looking for a traditional LEO job like a trooper/deputy/cop etc, apply to those positions. The hiring process is the same and you will be much more satisfied with the job and not left feeling like you are waiting for the next best thing to come along. I worked for a large federal agency prior to becoming a cop. Many of the guys I worked with had joined only because they thought it would be a stepping stone to an 1811 3 letter alphabet agency (DEA, ATF, ICE etc.). Due to very high competition for those jobs, the guys getting use to a nice pay check, settling in and or family factors, many became essentially "stuck" in a job that they never wanted in the first place. They were the ones that were the hardest to work with because they were basically resentful of a job they took with no intention of sticking around in the first place.

I realize this may not apply to you, but from experience it is much easier to get hired somewhere that you want to be in the long run than to have to hop around and start all over again and again. Also factor in that you will have to do another academy, FTO, probation etc. all over again and risk injury in the academy, washing out academically, failing FTO, not passing probation and being left with nothing. Again not always the case, however it is a calculated risk that you will have to take should you want to move around.

Comment

CVEO's are limited commission law enforcement and can only enforce commercial vehicle laws. They cannot exercise any authority other than enforcing commercial vehicle laws and they don't go through a law enforcement academy (they go through CVEO academy which is completely different.) It's kind of like how big cities have parking enforcement officers that aren't actually law enforcement officers. It used to be that CVOs didn't even have guns, but then the State Patrol figured that maybe people who are conducting traffic stops (on commercial vehicles) should have a weapon to defend themselves. They are kind of like the red-headed stepchildren of the State Patrol. The agency loves having them there because it's a hell of a lot cheaper to pay for their low training costs, low salary, and PERS retirement plan than it would be to have an actual Trooper doing the same job, but they don't get much respect from the agency.

With that said, the idea of being hired as a CVEO with the goal of becoming a Trooper is a horrible one. If you apply to be a Trooper, the State Patrol won't give you any advantage because of your work experience with them. The Troopers at the WSP Human Resource Department are a rather quirky bunch. I don't know if it's because HR is where they send a lot of Troopers who can't work the road because of injuries or incompetence, or maybe their bowties are just on too tight. They have a lot of odd ideas about how they run their Trooper hiring process. You might go in with work experience as a CVEO for them for several years and view yourself as a person with several years experience in conducting traffic stops, enforcing laws, and dealing with angry truckers, which makes you more qualified than most people for the job of Trooper. You would also be correct. However, WSP Human Resources is obsessed with trying to make things seem as fair as possible to all applicants. If they gave you an advantage in the hiring process because you are applying for a law enforcement position and you have previous experience enforcing laws, then that would just be unfair to the people who didn't have that sort of experience. You aren't given any advantages over the guy who works at Mcdonalds.

Actually, you would be worse off than the guy who works for Mcdonalds. If you work for WSP and receive awards, they won't consider that because it wouldn't be fair. However, if you work for WSP and you make a documented mistake, such as forgetting to turn in paperwork on time, then they will hold that against you. They won't hold you to the same standard as the Mcdonalds employee though. If a Mcdonalds employee tells WSP Human Resources that they got reprimanded for not turning in a form on time, then they won't care all that much. If a WSP employee tells Human Resources that they got reprimanded for not turning in paperwork on time, then you are probably not qualified to be a Trooper.

In the end, if you want to be a Trooper then the process might work out to your advantage. You don't need any qualifications, just make it through their testing process. No need to bother with prior experience first.

And to answer your question about progression, CVEO 1, 2, 3, 4 is the only progression. But those aren't just fancy numbers, they are different positions which denote ranks somewhat equivalent to Sergeant and Lieutenant within the CVEO world.

Comment

If your goal is to be a trooper, this is the perfect time to test with WSP being on a huge hiring push. Don't waste your time with the CVEO position unless thats what you really want to do.

Comment

NightRover, WombatVengeance, and CarRamRod, thanks for the great advice and info. I did decide to go for trooper. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. The process is surprisingly fast, and from what I understand, I just finished the background.

The only thing I'm kind of wondering about now, is why my background went by so fast? I've got a very clean background and am pretty young, but two weeks seems like a really fast time for the completion. Does anyone know if that fast of a turn around time is something I might have to worry about? Or does it sometimes just happen that way?

Comment

It's not a bad thing. Has to do with the workload of the BI, the amount of work your background takes, willingness of references to respond quickly, etc. My agency has a goal of two weeks not including the poly, psych, medical. So it's faster than most but not out of the norm.

Comment

Great! Thanks again!

Comment

Hello to everyone here. This is great that people involved in the LE community here help others seeking to become an LEO.
                I'm currently waiting to hear back from WSP for a conditional. My background was completed three wees ago. I was told that
                my pack was being reviewed so hopefully I'll know something soon.
                I was astonished at how fast the process gas been. I know in other parts of the country, the process can take anywhere from
                six months to a year. Other LEO's in know out of state are shocked at how fast this is moving. I took the written/PST in late December.
                I think the idea of applying directly for a Trooper position was a sound one. Unless you really wanted to be a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer. Noting wrong with the position however.
                Best of luck to you AsRT!

Comment

Thanks RJW514, and good luck to you too.

I'm also surprised by how fast it's going. I know I won't make the March 23rd class, but it's good to know I can be hired on before the next class in November. I was also told that that my background was up for review, so I'm interested to see how long it takes to hear back. Hope you hear something soon!

Comment

This evening I am going to see if I can re-submit an application for CVEO. I applied in December but I was in the rotation to deploy to Africa (which was cancelled). I think it will be an exciting position. At this point in my career I would like to specialize in this area. I attempted to when I was with the county but I was low on the seniority list.

Does anyone know if the CVEO side of the house moves as fast as the trooper side.
                    Last edited by Rugger762; 02-24-2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugger762 View Post
                      This evening I am going to see if I can re-submit an application for CVEO. I applied in December but I was in the rotation to deploy to Africa (which was cancelled). I think it will be an exciting position. At this point in my career I would like to specialize in this area. I attempted to when I was with the county but I was low on the seniority list.

Does anyone know if the CVEO side of the house moves as fast as the trooper side.
                      I am not sure on the speed of the process. I will advise you that if you do get on with CVEO prepare to move unless your nearby one of the larger scale houses.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7082 users online. 363 members and 6719 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X