300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May be moving to WA

I'm a sheriff's deputy in Colorado. My wife is considering accepting a promotion, which would require that we move to the Seattle area.

We'd be looking at the Mukilteo/ Everett area to live, and I'm looking at Mukilteo, Everett and Snohomish County for employment. I've been to the WSCJTC website and read about the 80 hour BLEA equivalency academy.

1. Any other agencies or communities to look at for employment?

2. Any additional info on the equivalency academy, beyond what's on the website? Anybody attended?

3. I can't find any info on state medical standards. Does WA have state-level standards, or it it left up to each agency to develop their own?

4. Any other insight or comments on transferring peace officer certification into the state and becoming a peace officer in WA?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

1) The Mukilteo area is a perfect location. It's a reasonable commute to agencies in both Snohomish County and King County. King County and Seattle are the two largest agencies in the region and both are hiring huge numbers. Everett is also hurting for officers bad. Depending on the size of the agency you are looking for, there are many decent but smaller agencies in the area that are great options. You can test for most of them on publicsafetytesting.com although some may have different processes for laterals.

3) Washington state agencies utilized the LEOFF (Law Enforcement Officer, Firefighter) medical standards.

4) As a lateral, this is great time to get hire on with an agency here. Many agencies are hiring right now and many prefer laterals.

Good luck.

Comment

3) Washington state agencies utilized the LEOFF (Law Enforcement Officer, Firefighter) medical standards.
      I've seen that mentioned everywhere but can't find what they actually ARE. Is there a .pdf somewhere or something?
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I don't know the specifics of LEOFF. Maybe some else here can give some insight. As for the exam itself, it's pretty similar to a standard medical exam. I did mine recently and it was breathing, vision, hearing, ekg, and blood work along with the standard other checks that a Doc would do on a yearly.

Comment

it was breathing, vision, hearing, ekg, and blood work along with the standard other checks that a Doc would do on a yearly.
          I'm 44 years old and retired from the Army, so I have lots of rough miles on the odometer. I'm able to perform the job, but there are several issues that might cause some people to look crossways at me.

Comment

It's my understanding that there aren't any state mandated requirements for the medical, you just need to have a doctor sign off that you can perform the job functions. Each agency has their own requirements. You generally don't hear about too many people getting disqualified in the medical.

Comment

Well, the medical is what it is as the kids say.

Anyone with advice on agencies or places to live?

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                3. I can't find any info on state medical standards. Does WA have state-level standards, or it it left up to each agency to develop their own?
                Officers are covered under the state's Law Enforcement Officers' and Firefighters' Retirement System, commonly known as LEOFF (pronounced "lef").

Medical standards are listed in the Washington Administrative Code beginning at WAC 415-104-500.

Any other insight or comments on transferring peace officer certification into the state and becoming a peace officer in WA?
                You'll be covered by LEOFF II. Don't read any of the stuff about LEOFF I, it will just make you unhappy.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                  Medical standards are listed in the Washington Administrative Code beginning at WAC 415-104-500. !
                  Is having a "cause for rejection of membership" an automatic disqualification?

...and if so, are there any peace officer positions not covered by LEOFF II?

I see that the King County Court Marshals aren't. Anybody else?

ETA: Can you choose to be covered under PSERS instead?
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-07-2014, 03:26 PM.

Comment

You do not get to choose which retirement system. I believe tribal agencies do not fall under LEOFF.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                      I'm a sheriff's deputy in Colorado. My wife is considering accepting a promotion, which would require that we move to the Seattle area.

We'd be looking at the Mukilteo/ Everett area to live, and I'm looking at Mukilteo, Everett and Snohomish County for employment. I've been to the WSCJTC website and read about the 80 hour BLEA equivalency academy.

1. Any other agencies or communities to look at for employment?

King County

2. Any additional info on the equivalency academy, beyond what's on the website? Anybody attended?

I attended one of the last online Equivalency academy's. They switched backed to the two week classroom academy in July I believe.

I was out here in 2008 when the academy was the classroom version. Basically it was officers coming in and telling us what we can't do and how different it is to work here compared to anywhere else in the Country. So I don't know what has changed since they went back to the old way

I would call directly the departments you are interested in working for about the medical standards.

4. Any other insight or comments on transferring peace officer certification into the state and becoming a peace officer in WA?
                      Overall, I think the process for laterals is pretty easy to get commissioned in WA. Like others have said, a lot of departments like laterals because they can hit the street sooner than entry levels.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3946 users online. 185 members and 3761 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X