Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Me About Your State

Hello all,

I am new to these forums and interested in law enforcement as a career. I am a recent college graduate and currently on the search for a job with a department.

In my final semester of college I applied to the local PD of the college town I lived in but was passed over for employment. I'm currently working full time outside of law enforcement to pay bills but am in the hiring process with another agency.

All this being said I'm am trying to expand my horizons for departments worth taking a look at. I was really excited about the prospect of working for the PD in the town where I went to school, it's a town with just north of 120,000 residents and is slated to expand significantly in the coming years. Unfortunately as previously stated the local PD passed me over in the hiring process but I am now looking for other departments relatively similar to this one.

I originally grew up outside of the continental United States so my knowledge in general about the lower 48 is slim and my knowledge of law enforcement in these states is even slimmer. I currently reside in Texas and am looking for information of different departments around the State, but please do not limit your information to only Texas. At this current point in my life there is nothing holding me down in one specific area of the country so I am literally looking nationwide.

Now I understand every department and every town is different. I am looking currently on a very broad scale, I am looking for a town with around 100,000-250,000 in population as I have found that correlates with the size of department I am interested in working for. I am really looking for input from all of the users of this forum, tell me about the department you work for, what you like, what you don't like. Where are places you want to work? Was there an agency you were really interested in but got overlooked, not selected, or just didn't make sense at that current time in your life?

Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting in other State forums as well to hear their input I look forward to hearing all of your input.

The shotgun approach can get you shot in the foot. Chances are you will be asked during your oral board why you want to work for a department in an area where you have no ties to and also you will be asked if you have applied anywhere else. Where I work, you would be considered a risky hire since you have no ties to the area, nothing vested in the local community and judging by your above statement, you seem to be all over the board in terms of where you want to work.

Best advice I can give would be to narrow down your search to departments in a state/region where you actually want to be employed, decide what size department you would want to work for and start applying. This is especially true if you ever want to move back "home" wherever that is. Not all states allow lateral transfers from out of state and you may end up having to do an academy and start all over again should you decide you don't like the state you work in and or get home sick. Also, having just a college degree in today's law enforcement job market does not make you a strong candidate. Most of our recent hires had a degree plus military experience and or specialized training in other areas and were bilingual. Military vets also get 10 points added on to their civil service exam which will also put you at a disadvantage if you don't have any military experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3834 users online. 249 members and 3585 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X