300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynnwood, Kent, or Seattle?

Well, I've been invited to the Kent and Lynnwood oral boards and will also be testing for Seattle soon. However, I'm an entry level out of state applicant and since the dates for each are relatively close together, I have to pick one for both financial and job - related reasons(too many days to take off so close together).

I'm assuming Seattle would be the best choice since although they might have the most applicants, they'll have the most spots available as well and the ratio could be better, as opposed to Kent and Lynnwood which are about 10 and 5 open spots respectively, last I checked. Also, Seattle seems to make it a bit easier on out of state applicants as well. However, there may be something I don't know, so I figured I'd ask.

Also, Kent is more hypothetical. I have a military obligation during the Kent boards and I'm not betting on either the Army or Kent PD rescheduling just for me.

I appreciate any advice.

EDIT: As a secondary question, how competitive is a 91% PST test score in Washington, in general? I know Seattle doesn't use PST, but I figure I could get a ball park estimate.
    Last edited by roboot; 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM.

Roboot,

I'd email Kent about rescheduling your oral board due to military obligations. It's possible that they may be able to help you out if you can provide a signed memorandum or a copy of orders. Good luck!
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
    Commissioned Police Officer
    RLTW

Comment

You might be surprised how much departments will help out our military personnel.

Seattle will be hiring the most of that bunch and they are a little more facilitating for out of state, but if you've already taken the written and physical through PST for Kent, you're already a trip saved compared to SPD at this point. Kent would be my choice of those three, but they've all got their upsides.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
        You might be surprised how much departments will help out our military personnel.

Seattle will be hiring the most of that bunch and they are a little more facilitating for out of state, but if you've already taken the written and physical through PST for Kent, you're already a trip saved compared to SPD at this point. Kent would be my choice of those three, but they've all got their upsides.
        Is the testing being complete for Kent the only reason or are they considered a better department?

Particularly if I could get the oral board moved, that would put Kent ahead of Lynnwood as far as cost is concerned since the latter requires two boards at different times. Geographically speaking, I'd prefer Kent over the other two.

Comment

Honestly I would test for Seattle. They treat out of state very well and they are hiring military specifically. I'm sure you would do well in Seattle's process.

Comment

My choice would be Seattle. Despite what the media says, I have talked to a bunch of Seattle officers and they all say it's a good department.

And yes, they like laterals. I had four or five in my equivalency class. And I am sure they will have a bunch more.

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
              My choice would be Seattle. Despite what the media says, I have talked to a bunch of Seattle officers and they all say it's a good department.

And yes, they like laterals. I had four or five in my equivalency class. And I am sure they will have a bunch more.
              I'm actually not a lateral. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Anyway, I spoke with a Kent recruiter and he advised me that I could reschedule for their August boards and he can make it so I only have to take two trips out to Washington. Looks like I'm going to both Kent and Seattle!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3927 users online. 228 members and 3699 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X