300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle PD and Active Military Question

I just got into contact with the Seattle Police Department and found out that if I apply while on Active Duty that I will not be eligible for the 10 preferential points on the civil service exam because I will not have a DD 214 until after my contract has ended in January.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is state wide for Washington or not. I know some police departments in other states will let you present a letter from your Company Commander stating you are expected to discharge honorably on such and such date.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

This seems to be normal with most, if not all agencies. In their online applications, when they ask about seeking veteran's points, it always asks you to attach your DD214 (which of course you don't get until you ETS). Never hurts to ask though! A buddy of mine who is getting out soon asked about receiving preference points with a DD214. He got some sort of memorandum from the CO, I believe it was an intention of separation or something, and that worked for a specific department.

Also, I'd start testing now if I were you. I tested back in January, and it seems like the hiring timeline is working well in regards to my ETS date in a few months (minus having to miss several oral boards due to work obligations). Good luck!
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
    Commissioned Police Officer
    RLTW

Comment

Originally posted by xcrunner View Post
      This seems to be normal with most, if not all agencies. In their online applications, when they ask about seeking veteran's points, it always asks you to attach your DD214 (which of course you don't get until you ETS). Never hurts to ask though! A buddy of mine who is getting out soon asked about receiving preference points with a DD214. He got some sort of memorandum from the CO, I believe it was an intention of separation or something, and that worked for a specific department.

Also, I'd start testing now if I were you. I tested back in January, and it seems like the hiring timeline is working well in regards to my ETS date in a few months (minus having to miss several oral boards due to work obligations). Good luck!
      Thanks for the response. Houston and San Antonio were other departments I was looking at and they accept the memorandum. I'll probably still apply in Washington anyways, I'm just unsure of how competitive it is. With the drawdown my timeline is a lot shorter than I'd expected it to be since I'm in a deactivating Brigade.

How did you do on the exam by the way? The recruiter said I'll be ranked on the results and I'm wondering, in general, if I do well on the test where I might be ranked. I'm only worried about the exam and video, since I know I've got the PAT in the bag.

Thanks!

Comment

I've only tested through Public Safety Testing, not Seattle. If you do take a test with PST, I definitely recommend their study guide! I think it really helped me on the written test.
        "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
        Commissioned Police Officer
        RLTW

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3498 users online. 243 members and 3255 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X