300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Police disqualifiers

I had a question about immediate disqualifers in Washington state, particularly Vancouver. Anyway, I turned in my pre-interview questionnaire to Vancouver and was removed from eligibility the next day. The only two negative things on that questionnaire were that I had tried spice about 4 years ago when it was legal in my area and the two speeding tickets I have on my record, one of which was a couple weeks outside the 3 year time frame they asked for, but I included it just to be safe.

Now, I'm assuming it's the former that was the problem. I haven't had any issue with this before with any other department since I've always been open and honest about it. Now, I probably did not do myself any favors since I placed it under "hallucinogenic," since that's what a previous BI thought it might be classified as(I notated next to that question that it was spice that I had tried). Later, I realized Washington, or maybe it's just Vancouver, has an almost zero tolerance on hallucinogenics. Has anyone else seen this happen with spice in general for Washington or was it placing it under "hallucinogenic" that probably eliminated me?

Any insight is appreciated.

Originally posted by roboot View Post
    I had a question about immediate disqualifers in Washington state, particularly Vancouver. Anyway, I turned in my pre-interview questionnaire to Vancouver and was removed from eligibility the next day. The only two negative things on that questionnaire were that I had tried spice about 4 years ago when it was legal in my area and the two speeding tickets I have on my record, one of which was a couple weeks outside the 3 year time frame they asked for, but I included it just to be safe.

Now, I'm assuming it's the former that was the problem. I haven't had any issue with this before with any other department since I've always been open and honest about it. Now, I probably did not do myself any favors since I placed it under "hallucinogenic," since that's what a previous BI thought it might be classified as(I notated next to that question that it was spice that I had tried). Later, I realized Washington, or maybe it's just Vancouver, has an almost zero tolerance on hallucinogenics. Has anyone else seen this happen with spice in general for Washington or was it placing it under "hallucinogenic" that probably eliminated me?

Any insight is appreciated.
    I am fairly new to the WA law enforcement environment, but have been a police officer for 16 years. The LE job market is very competitive and departments can disqualify any candidate for any reason. Stating you tried spice will probably hurt you in the job search.

Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Marijuana is legal here and I doubt departments will even look at you if you said you use it.

Just my .02 worth.

Comment

It all honesty depends on the department. Some are really strict about drugs and others will look at the situation more closely.

Look at the department's website. Most will tell you their automatic DQs.

Comment

Spice shouldn't be listed as hallucinogenic it's a synthetic cannabish.

Comment

Spice shouldn't be listed as hallucinogenic it's a synthetic cannabish.

Comment

Cannabish is correct. I'm sorry to hear that. Depts evaluate an applicant's honesty and integrity as if those qualities exist in a vacuum. As previously stated, find a dept that will "evaluate" you holistically. If anyone chides you about your specific drug use, just ignore them.

People lie all the time if not on duty then off duty in their personal lives. It's a human fallacy. In law enforcement it will get you fired and/or in jail so be prudent in your job search, good luck!!

Comment

Some departments will make you feel like the worst person in the world for an indiscretion that 10 other departments might find laughable. It's just really dependent on the agency; don't let one 'No' get you down.

I do agree with the above comment of "legal doesn't make it right," but at least legal-yet-dumb actions can often be reconsidered after a given amount of time with many agencies. Good luck!

Comment

I talked to both a Seattle and Vancouver PD recruiter and I guess because synthetic cannabis isn't explicitly laid out in state law as far as what it is considered for recruitment, all the departments treat it differently. With Vancouver it is considered an experimental drug with a 7 year buffer while Seattle just treats it as marijuana. Just thought I'd let everyone else know.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3798 users online. 201 members and 3597 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X