300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious

I am considering a career with L.E. However soem things I am not too sure about. 1 is I have several traffic ticks that I know need to come off, 2 I had a BK and divorce about 3yrs ago, some bad credit after BK, but cleaned up all my credit within the last 2yrs. I have had stable employment throughout the last 10yrs(2.5 at a new job) smkoed pot when I was younger less than the 20 times lifetime, had a car prowl incendent when I was 18( no longer involved with that person anymore). I live my life in sales and with my kids so i do not have much free time to jack around. Would I have a chance to become LE? Ive been really thinking about it over the last 2 yrs, and have tested with 2 agencys already but both went nowhere due to economy. Advice would be great.... Thanks!!!

Originally posted by briehl12 View Post
    I am considering a career with L.E. However soem things I am not too sure about. 1 is I have several traffic ticks that I know need to come off, 2 I had a BK and divorce about 3yrs ago, some bad credit after BK, but cleaned up all my credit within the last 2yrs. I have had stable employment throughout the last 10yrs(2.5 at a new job) smkoed pot when I was younger less than the 20 times lifetime, had a car prowl incendent when I was 18( no longer involved with that person anymore). I live my life in sales and with my kids so i do not have much free time to jack around. Would I have a chance to become LE? Ive been really thinking about it over the last 2 yrs, and have tested with 2 agencys already but both went nowhere due to economy. Advice would be great.... Thanks!!!
    TPD Recruiter would be a great one to toss this stuff around with (Tacoma PD).

Regarding only 2 departments in 2 years- wow, I've applied to roughly 30-35 over the course of 3 years and I'm finally getting somewhere due to the economy.

I'm not a recruiter, nor am I civilian LEO, so I can't speak as to your tickets, drug use, or your car prowling incident. Was the incident a conviction or what are the details on it?

Comment

Yes the car prowl is a conviction. It was over 12yrs ago. The only reason I have done 2 depts is due to the ticket issue. I was suspended while on vacation in another state. Payment did not post on one of my fines. Hell, I figure get it out now, So I know where I could stand. I have done my fair share of research, but each individual is different. My uncle works for the city of Seattle, and will moving into the new jail SCORE, and has encouraged me to apply there as well.

Comment

Yes the car prowl is a conviction. It was over 12yrs ago. The only reason I have done 2 depts is due to the ticket issue. I was suspended while on vacation in another state. Payment did not post on one of my fines.
        How long ago was your license suspended?

Comment

Also, a couple more suggestions to try:

King County Sheriff's Dept- Would be a great one since they're not currently hiring due to budget cuts, may be safer to talk to them now- Recruiter- Email: [email protected] Phone: (206) 205-7625

Tacoma Recruiter: 866-812-0107, or (253) 591-2015. The recruiter also uses this forum quite frequently and knows his stuff quite well, I'd PM him.

Per Tacoma's website, http://www.cityoftacoma.org/Page.aspx?hid=1848-

WILL MY PAST HISTORY PREVENT ME FROM BECOMING A POLICE OFFICER?

The Tacoma Police Department does not release the automatic disqualifiers for applicants. The Chief of Police reviews these policies on a yearly basis, and this information is held in the strictest confidence within the Hiring Unit. We do not even release this information to our current officers.

What we can let you know is we will review each applicant's drug possession history, driving record history, credit history, and criminal history, among other items; including but not limited to honesty and integrity.

Drug History - An applicant may be disqualified for possession of drugs depending on the number of times the drug is possessed, the type of drugs possessed, and how long ago the possession occurred. Possession is defined as control, touching, holding, selling, trafficking, or transporting any illegal non-prescribed drug.

Driving History - An applicant's driving record will be thoroughly assessed, and may be a factor for disqualification. We look at the number of infractions an applicant has received, the frequency of infractions, the type of infractions, and how long ago the infractions occurred. Some criminal driving offenses are automatic disqualifiers.

Criminal History - An applicant may be disqualified based upon their criminal history including all arrests, prosecutions, deferred prosecutions, "Alford" pleas, and non-conviction information. The type of crime, frequency of crime, and how long ago the crime occurred are reviewed and may be considered a disqualifier.

Credit History - An applicant may be disqualified based upon their current credit history. Accounts that are currently in collections may be considered a disqualifier. To review your credit history for accounts that are currently in collections, you may obtain a free copy of your credit report at http://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.isp.

To assist potential applicants in deciding whether or not to apply, we have provided a self assessment survey. This self-assessment should in no way be construed as a deterrent to applying and participating in the hiring process; it is simply to be used as a diagnostic tool that may help potential applicants with their decision. Click here for the Self-Assessment Survey for Prospective TPD Applicants.

^ Try to find that link and do a self-assessment.

Also look at individual requirements for MINIMUM hiring requirements for departments here- http://publicsafetytesting.com/merch...m?step=2&id=22

If you're still not sure, I'd suggest you layout exactly everything you've done in the past, for example per your post
          • 05/1999 convicted of car prowling
          • 1996-1999 Smoked weed 20 times
          • Speeding tickets in ___, _____, and ______
          • license suspended due to failure to pay for tickets, 2008 (or whenever)'

Then forward it to the HR and/or Civil Service Commission and see what they have to say.

Unfortunately (for applicants), the applicant pool is very strong right now- you're going against veterans, college graduates, and others with absolutely no drug use or crime use at all, and it's a very tough market. If your convictions are not an auto-dq, you definitely have an uphill fight, but contact your recruiters directly for more info.

Best of luck
          Last edited by Ryandus; 05-28-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately back in April. So I know I have have to wait at least 3yrs?

Comment

Unfortunately back in April. So I know I have have to wait at least 3yrs?
              Man, just call the recruiter. They're actually a lot nicer than one might think, and don't want to waste your time, nor are they interested in you wasting their's (by going through

Each person's past and experience varies so much that unless they know all your factors, no one can answer it for you.

I like your idea of SCORE if you can get through and hired on- it's a perfect time, as they'll be hiring tons of people (and thus *slightly* less picky), and it would give you some time between your suspension and when you want to go patrol

Again though, not really sure what corrections requires in regards to driving histories.

Comment

I agree. Too bad we can't go through b.i. beforehand. I will definately check it out. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I agree. Too bad we can't go through b.i. beforehand. I will definately check it out. Thanks for the reply.
                  Yeah, that would be nice. I know

I truly wish the best for you

Comment

SCORE is still very picky on whom they choose.

Comment

Briehl.... As you have already stated, time is what you need. Time to get the most recent stuff (tickets) off your record. I would still encourage you to apply; apply and test with as many departments as you can. Each department has their own set of standards for hiring, what might not be acceptable at one department may be totally acceptable at another. You will never know until you apply, test and go through the process. In the mean time, while you are applying and testing, time is going by and your past is starting to clean up and move off your record.

As for any arrests... No one is perfect and all of us have made mistakes in our lives. Every department knows this. Each department will look at the arrest, the circumstances surrounding it, how long ago it occurred, the age when it occured the severity of the crime and, most importantly, what you have done with your life since then. For some arrests an automatic disqualification will follow, for others, given the right set of circumstances, they will be allowed.

I would encourage you to keep applying!
                      www.tacomapolice.org

Comment

I am considering a career with L.E. However soem things I am not too sure about. 1 is I have several traffic ticks that I know need to come off, 2 I had a BK BK=bankruptcy? If so it will show up on a background check by a BI forever and divorce about 3yrs ago, some bad credit after BK, but cleaned up all my credit within the last 2yrs. I have had stable employment throughout the last 10yrs(2.5 at a new job) smkoed pot when I was younger less than the 20 times lifetimeAuto DQ, had a car prowl incendent when I was 18 HUGE auto DQ( no longer involved with that person anymore warm and fuzzy, but matters not you still did it). I live my life in sales and with my kids so i do not have much free time to jack around. Would I have a chance to become LE? NO Ive been really thinking about it over the last 2 yrs, and have tested with 2 agencys already but both went nowhere due to economy. Advice would be great.... Thanks!!!
                        Yes the car prowl is a conviction. It was over 12yrs ago.doesn't matter how long ago it was The only reason I have done 2 depts is due to the ticket issue. I was suspended while on vacation in another state. Payment did not post on one of my fines. that was still your fault Hell, I figure get it out now, So I know where I could stand. I have done my fair share of research, but each individual is different. My uncle works for the city of Seattle, and will moving into the new jail SCORE, and has encouraged me to apply there as well.
                        Look into another profession.

p.s. I'm not even going to point out all the spelling, punctuation and sentence structure error's
                        Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

TPD thank you for the support. To everyone else: While I know correct spelling and punctuation is critical in LE, not everyone is perfect in spelling or sentance structure. I know this is something I have to work on as well.

Comment

TPD thank you for the support. To everyone else: While I know correct spelling and punctuation is critical in LE, not everyone is perfect in spelling or sentance structure. I know this is something I have to work on as well.
                            Keep working toward your dreams. I'd also suggest trying to get into work or volunteer positions where you can build up a good working history/contact with local law enforcement. Security, reserve officer or others. Our past will say a lot about us, but as TPDRecruiter and others have stated, a bad past isn't always a DQ. Good luck on your endeavors!

Comment

Thanks I will. I have considered reserves. Get my foot in the door any way I can and I know someday I will make it. Tested with King County, as per their B.I. told me should be ok.... But you never know!!! Im in the car business now making good money, but sit facing Wallmart and watch everyday as dumb people get arrested. Its so funny love watching red and blue lights.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4980 users online. 288 members and 4692 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X