300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington state jobs resources

I've seen links here and there, on this forum, for good places to look for police officer job openings. I thought it'd be a good idea to have one thread with a list of these websites (if you have them, can you post them?) that have employment information, and then a place where members of this forum can post any information they might obtain from whatever source about current/future hiring for departments in Washington.

I am in King County, so preferably that's where I want to start my search.

A quick question:
    Do all the departments that fall under the publicsafetytesting.com website have the same written exam? I assume so. If that is the case, what is the best resource for studying for their test in specific?

Thanks!

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/ind...jobs&Itemid=11

Scroll down to Police positions.

PST is really good- one test, one physical, and all your scores are forwarded to the departments you paid for.

For tips on how to study:
    1. PST has an enhanced study guide which is pretty good
    2. Tacoma PD has a study resource guide here- http://www.cityoftacoma.org/Page.aspx?hid=1848 scroll down to the written exam portion

Also, get with TPD Recruiter- he has a list of all the departments in WA state and how they conduct their recruitments

Comment

Police one sometimes does, i normally just put job interests cards in at the city's and do a every three day look at all agencies

Comment

What is this "job interest" card you speak of?

Comment

Edmonds is hiring 2 officers and possibly a third later this year (lateral or entry).

Comment

PST is a horrible service haha. i really dislike using them.

Comment

Originally posted by xjman1990 View Post
              I'm going to have to disagree, PST has been nothing but professional and really helped me through the process. Even though I can't make it to the interview class in June because my Oral Board is in 2 weeks, they took the time and answered all the questions I have. Also having a former Chief and an Academy instructor on staff is great for resources. I like getting called 2 days after I test by multiple departments for one test. I usually don't say much on the forums, but to bad mouth PST and all the services they provide not to mention the support of law enforcement they have is shameful. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Maybe it isn't PST but the tester...
              "If you run from the law, you'll only go to jail tired."

Comment

I'm still not straight on which departments off of PST I should apply for. Most depts have no openings right now, but is it worthwhile to test to get on some sort of eligibility list, or should I only apply at departments if I know there are vacancies?

Comment

In this economy you need to find out what they are looking for and if you match up. Most important is the score, you won't even be considered if you don't score above 85%. I went and got a tutor and increased my % from 76 to an 87, but you can't use her because she's my wife Call the HR of the departments and see if you fit and if they are what you want and do work.

Comment

How would I go about gauging if I fit with a deparment... or if they think I fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
                      How would I go about gauging if I fit with a deparment... or if they think I fit?
                      Call the department and find out what the average age of the officers are and find out what the departments mission statement is and see if you would fit in there. A lot of times, you wont know until your actually on the job. Its going to be like starting anywhere else, there are a lot of unknowns until you are actually in the position.

Edmonds is hiring 2 officers and possibly a third later this year (lateral or entry).
                      Late 2011 or early 2012 is what I am thinking. I got a letter from Edmonds PD with an oral date for November 2011. I tested with them back in February.

I'm still not straight on which departments off of PST I should apply for. Most depts have no openings right now, but is it worthwhile to test to get on some sort of eligibility list, or should I only apply at departments if I know there are vacancies?
                      Call each department and check with HR or with someone in the hiring unit and find out if it is worth applying right now and see if they anticipate any openings in the future. You will find that some departments on the PST website do not update their info very often. I was going to apply for a department that said there were 3 openings and sure enough I called them to verify this and the gal told me that all 3 positions had been filled and that they forgot to update their info on PST.

Comment

Originally posted by xjman1990 View Post
                        I have used PST now two times and every time I have used them, the people have been friendly, and professional. Do you dislike the actual test they provide or do you dislike the people that work there?

My only gripe about testing through PST is that you don't get an opportunity to meet anyone from the PD until you are selected for oral boards. For me, I like testing with an agency that conducts their own testing so I can personally meet the staff and get a better feel for their department.

Comment

Originally posted by Super_HKS View Post
                          My only gripe about testing through PST is that you don't get an opportunity to meet anyone from the PD until you are selected for oral boards. For me, I like testing with an agency that conducts their own testing so I can personally meet the staff and get a better feel for their department.
                          Completely agree with you. I love the staff at PST, they're really friendly. The problem I personally have is you're but a number to all departments that your stuff goes to. Except for this period, I always used PST, and I'll tell you what, there is power in meeting face-to-face with departments and testing individually. The applicant pool is usually less, and you get to gauge the morale of the department based on the interaction of the police officers (with their peers) and how they dress.

My personal (unverified) opinion about PST is departments get FLOODED with applicants because applicants think "what the hell is another $10 for 2 departments". I could see this wearing on HR staff and police departments after a while.

Comment

PST has one of the tougher test and the average is 79-80% so getting above 85% will let you stand out. It's also a lot easier for smaller departments to get applicants. You just have to take the time to call and in some cases meet up with departments. Also you know what is open, some department that do thier own testing don't let on that they prefer above age 25 or laterals. So they just take your money and let you go through the process of testing knowing that the positions are going to be open for laterals only. Bottom line is that it cost $50,000 to train new officers and $10,000 to train a lateral. What would you prefer in this economy? Plus a majority of departments don't require laterals to do a PFT. PST lateral testers do, that seems to level the playing field.

Comment

I just applied to test for Edmonds and Vancouver (Vancouver in light of the new thread stating they have 10+ vacancies).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6437 users online. 349 members and 6088 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X