300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Profiling

I don't know if you guys saw this, but Gov. Gregoire just signed a new bill outlawing motorcycle profiling. In other words, LEO's must have a valid reason to stop the motorcycle, not just because they're a motorcyclist. Since this is already the law for any traffic stop, I'm not sure why a new law was needed. Unfortunately, it could have the effect of turning any motorcycle stop into an assumption of pre-text until proven otherwise. We'll see...

SB 5242 for reference.

Originally posted by hopperja View Post
    I don't know if you guys saw this, but Gov. Gregoire just signed a new bill outlawing motorcycle profiling. In other words, LEO's must have a valid reason to stop the motorcycle, not just because they're a motorcyclist. Since this is already the law for any traffic stop, I'm not sure why a new law was needed. Unfortunately, it could have the effect of turning any motorcycle stop into an assumption of pre-text until proven otherwise. We'll see...

SB 5242 for reference.
    That does seem weird... I'm no expert on the law (not an LEO), but I thought stops were really never to be made on a person or vehicle of any sort without some kind of justified reason for doing so. I wouldn't have thought motorcycles were an exclusion to this protocol.

Comment

i believe law enforcement definitely tend to profile and stop sportbike riders. can't count how many times i've had a LEO bust a u turn just to come follow even though i wasn't doing anything wrong and everything is legit on the motorcycle.

Comment

FireBlade, there's nothing wrong with law enforcement turning on you, or any operator of any motor vehicle. There are numerous valid reasons to do this. For starters, in WA, roughly 50% of motorcyclists are not properly endorsed. My experience has been that the percentage is even higher for sport bike riders. The legislature has recognized that this is such a common problem in WA, that LEO's are authorized to impound a motorcycle if the rider isn't properly endorsed. By comparison, we can't impound your car if you only have an ID card (with no license suspension) - aka No Valid Operator's License w/ID.

That being said, I am NOT going to stop you just because you ride a sport bike. Under WA state law, there has to be a valid reason for the stop. This new law prohibits me from stopping you just because you ride a motorcycle, something which was already prohibited because it was already against the law.

By the way, I have had my motorcycle endorsement for decades and own two motorcycles myself.
        Last edited by hopperja; 04-16-2011, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a cop following you into the sunset when you're on a motorbike, however, they won't be stopping/citing you unless they have valid cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
            That does seem weird... I'm no expert on the law (not an LEO), but I thought stops were really never to be made on a person or vehicle of any sort without some kind of justified reason for doing so. I wouldn't have thought motorcycles were an exclusion to this protocol.
            Ignite, you're right. Motorcycles are NOT an exclusion to this protocol. An LEO must have a valid reason for the stop.

Comment

something which was already prohibited because it was already against the law.
              So then WTF? *scratches head*

Comment

Regardless of the reason for this bill, how it was done is an outrage. gov gregoire is signing that bill in the company of OMG riders to include Robert "Pigpen" Christopher who killed PPB Officer David Crowther in 1979. What a slap in the face to LEO's. Once again I am absolutley disgusted with our govenor

Comment

Welcome to Washington

Comment

FireBlade, there's nothing wrong with law enforcement turning on you, or any operator of any motor vehicle. There are numerous valid reasons to do this. For starters, in WA, roughly 50% of motorcyclists are not properly endorsed. My experience has been that the percentage is even higher for sport bike riders.
                    this is exactly it. but in my experience in knowing tons of motorcycle riders. the higher percentage of non-endorsed riders is usually the harley/cruiser riders which also refuse to wear helmets and their bikes are 20 times louder than a sportbike.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6357 users online. 371 members and 5986 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X