300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Police Officer

I am trying to look at becoming a Reserve Police officer till i can get picked up for a full time LEO, I know of a few reserves (shelton pd and Fife) any one else know any other ones? Any help would be great.

Cities of DuPont, Bonney Lake, Normandy Park.

Comment

Most of the agencies on the East side of the mountains all have a reserve programs.

Comment

I saw a link on Lakewood's page as well......does anyone know if they're actively looking for reservists?
        Refuse to be a victim-Support Concealed Carry

Comment

Lakewood does in deed have a reserve program. http://lakewoodpdreserves.com

Most cites in Pierce County have reserve program including Pierce County. I would make a list of every police department in the area and just start calling.

I will also send a PM on this.

Comment

Clark County Sheriff's Office has a reserve program as well. You can find more information at: http://www.clark.wa.gov/sheriff/enfo...t/reserve.html

Comment

Lake Stevens has one up north, but they haven't been hiring for that for quite a while (to my knowledge)- http://www.ci.lake-stevens.wa.us/pol...ve_officer.htm

Not a reserve position, but Lynnwood has an excellent citizen's patrol / academy that would look good on a resume.

Not sure of any other reserve programs up north.

Comment

The Clark County reserves look really good, they're testing this month. The reserve program is a really good way to learn and volunteer, while keeping your regular job.

In some states, you can transition from reserve to full time with very little extra training. Is this the case in WA?

Comment

County Guy, in Washington State an individual must attend the 720 hour BLEA course to obtain their certification. Holding a reserve peace officer certification does not change that requirement.
                  Life is too short to cry about yesterday.

Comment

Puyallup PD has reserves.

Comment

Testing for Lacey Reserves at the end of this month....

Comment

Buckley (Pierce Co) & Carnation/Duvall has reserves. Kittitas County has a pretty good program. Kent PD had a few reserves, I am not sure if they are basically phasing out their program or if it's a program where you basically have to ask about it to get the info since they never "recruit". I also heard that King County had/has a small program

Comment

Originally posted by xjman1990 View Post
                          I am trying to look at becoming a Reserve Police officer till i can get picked up for a full time LEO, I know of a few reserves (shelton pd and Fife) any one else know any other ones? Any help would be great.
                          This type of question always makes me scratch my head. As a Reserve Officer/Deputy, you have to go through the same basic hiring steps as a regular PO or Deputy and it can take just as long to get an offer. If your ultimate goal is to be a full time cop, why not just keep testing until you get hired since it is essentially the same process? Apply to places that you want to work and keep testing until you get hired. If you can complete the hiring process and get on as a Reserve, there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to get on as a regular full time PO or Deputy. Just my 2 cents....

Comment

Very good point, i have had a lot of people ask me this. So here is my answer.

There are two main reasons:

1. Full time Police work is such a competitive and the hiring pool is so much larger as you have all entry levels and laterals wanting to be hired in this poor economic times we have among us. So testing with reserves the pools are smaller as most people do not want to volunteer their time in harm’s way much rather get paid, most people don’t want to have to pay for their background checks, academy ect. (it’s a tax deduction)

2. If i can’t land a full time LEO career by the time i get out of the military which is just in time for the reserve academy to start i can be a reserve police officer and go to school full time on the GI Bill and have the triple threat (military, college degree, and reserve police officer) to back me up when i start applying for the full time LEO as well as a few years the economy will much better hopefully.

With that said i am still testing with full time LEO departments as well as starting to do reserve. In this field of work it's all about having your foot in the door. Guess what, a reserve police officer would most likely be hired over a normal "Joe" applicant that applies at the department that reserve is a volunteer for..

I hope this answered your questions and kind of shined a little light behind my madness.....

Comment

Originally posted by County222 View Post
                              County Guy, in Washington State an individual must attend the 720 hour BLEA course to obtain their certification. Holding a reserve peace officer certification does not change that requirement.
                              Actually the reserve academy is not like the full time academy. The reserve academy is 233. But I think the Fife academy bumps that up to 300 hours.

CTJC - Reserve Academy Link

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3754 users online. 207 members and 3547 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X