300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring process and budget cuts

I dont know about anyone else but has anyone noticed how the budget cuts have effected the hiring process's? I was absolutely CRAMMED through the testing process (completed all testing in a bit over a week) with Sno. Co. and passed everything with flying colors and then everything came to a screeching halt. I dont even believe my BI has started yet.

When we were at the initial orientation meeting we were told that if we we tested in the top 10%, the BI would not take more than 4 weeks. So after 4 weeks had passed by and I had not heard from anyone and my references were calling me asking when to expect a call I got a little nervous. So I emailed the Lt. and asked if there was a problem. His response was "tight budget and we cant give out the overtime for BI's". I am now pushing week 8 and none of my references have been contacted, yet there is no rejection letter either.

What I am curious about is if the budget is so tight why do dept's continue to run testing sessions? I know they have another testing series right around the corner and they were telling that group in thier orientation the same thing we were told. Is this S.O.P. even though budgets are so tight they cant even do a BI? Are dept's required to have a backlog of applicants?

Is anyone in the process with KCSO thats seeing the same kind of issues or any other agencies?
    sigpic

I tested for the Seattle Fire Department in January and because of budget cuts they postponed all of their recruiting activity until early 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze View Post
      What I am curious about is if the budget is so tight why do dept's continue to run testing sessions? I know they have another testing series right around the corner and they were telling that group in thier orientation the same thing we were told. Is this S.O.P. even though budgets are so tight they cant even do a BI? Are dept's required to have a backlog of applicants?

Yes, it's standard for Dept's to keep holding tests whether they're going to hire anyone from it or not. The reason being, is that generally the top candidates on the list are also going to be at the top of other agencies' lists and possibly be hired. This way, the Depts keep a relatively fresh list of qualified candidates, as opposed to a list of candidates who are already employed by other agencies by then.

Comment

My background was assigned to a BI for TPD a month ago and I still have not heard from the BI, and neither have my references. KCSO has been doing my BI for 3 weeks and I havent heard from them either.

Comment

Hey Bartlett2850 why would you want to test with Orting, all the others on your list are bigger and have some thing going on, Orting sucks and it very small.

Comment

Orting's a nice area. Sure it's small but maybe I'd like working there. I'm not going be picky on who offers me my first police job.

Why do you say it sucks? Just because of the low amount of activity? The department was VERY professional to me during my oral board.

Comment

One of my concerns is that the new batch of test takers comes in and lets say, scores higher than I did. Does that mean I get moved down the list even though I have already gone through all the testing? Or is that just for people that test and go into the "wait" list?

I just get a bit nervous becuase my current employer is really putting the heat on me now because of how long this is taking. He is trying to plan the next year of business and all I can do is shrug my shoulders and tell him I dont know if I will be around and I will just keep doing what I am doing until I hear from someone. He wont schedule me for any new business in case I may not be here and I have pretty much been religated to pushing paper around the office. Trying to talk someone into moving thier 12 million dollar account can take months and he doesnt want me to get half way through it and then be gone. When before I was invloved in every single transaction that took place. Starting to get worried that he is going to walk into my office one day and say "go wait on someone elses dime".
              sigpic

Comment

OMG I hope state patrol is still hiring. Its only been a month but im curious to know when my BI starts. No priors, always kind to neighbors, teachers, etc. Hopefully it will be a fast process.

Comment

Most eligibility lists are dynamic, meaning you may get moved down on the list if someone else gets a higher score than you do. However, for most agencies the list really only determines the order in which your file is sent to the BI; thereafter it is far less relevant because when you are presented at the hiring meeting you are competing against the others who also have their backgrounds finished at the same time as yours (assuming there are not enough slots available to hire all of you; sometimes there are), regardless of their test score.

For example, awhile ago the City of Seattle has published that they have exhausted every eligibility list for the last two years (i.e. they all were sent to a BI eventually). It just took longer for some folks to get the call for follow-up.

Many Counties and state agencies are having some budget issues due to how their income schedules are structured. Many municipalities are just fine. I would suggest applying to some larger municipalities as their hiring processes are often faster and they have more vacancies.

Background investigations generally only take about a week. If yours has not started it is often because your file has not yet been sent to a BI, or the agency is not hiring for a few months as does not want to spend money on your BI. It is important to realize that background investigations have a shelf life and consequently most agencies (e.g. WSP, SPD, KCSO, etc...) try to to coordinate their completion with an offer of employment. Finally, remember that when an agency says you are in backgrounding they are not necessary saying that your background investigation has started, but rather your file has reached that point in the process and is awaiting a BI to start it.

If anyone has any questions about any of this just PM me.
                  Last edited by The Intel Guy; 09-20-2008, 01:05 PM.

Comment

BARTLETT2850 I know many guys that work for Orting and I can say GOOD LUCK getting on!!!!! Are you a reserve for Orting??? I think one of thier reserves is #1 on the list!!!!!!
                    Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4352 users online. 261 members and 4091 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X