300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dang it.....got a ticket.

So this weekend I am loading the kids up to take them to the reptile zoo and I am headed east on hwy 2 from Everett. I get to where it splits to snohomish and Lake Stevens and is still two lanes. The guy in front of me is moving along at all of 50mph. So I move to the passing lane accelerate to get around him in a timely fashion and right then...BAM! State trooper on the side of the road pointing a radar at me. 70 in a 60.

so now I get to call both county and state and let them know that I got dinged and hopefully they wont pull me out of the hiring process.
    sigpic

Yeah the area between seattle belleview and everett is the worst they are all over it.

Comment

That is weak dude, did you mention you were trying to get hired to him?

Comment

When he came up with the ticket he said it wasnt very expensive. My response was:
        "I am not worried about the 113.00, I have that in my back pocket. What I am worried about is getting kicked out of the hiring process with you guys and Sno. co."

He asked me how far along I was and I told him that this might cost me everything. He said "dont worry about it, I got a ticket right be fore they hired me". Some how I doubt that, but thats what he said.
        sigpic

Comment

You should be fine as long as you don't have a pretty big history of speeding or other traffic violations.

Comment

Watch, he'll end up being your FTO someday!

Comment

My girlfriend got a ticket on I5 from a trooper this weekend too...5 over. At least she didn't try to name drop "my boyfriend is in the academy". That would have probably gotten a laugh at best.

One ticket isn't going to take you out of any hiring process. If it does it was one straw in a big pile of hay that was already there.
              Leaving my job as a Navy Pilot to become a cop..."This humble pie tastes great Sir, can I have some more?"

Comment

I called in and spoke with Trooper Martine to bring them up to speed. I figured it would be better to be honest and up front with them rather than have them find out about it and make it look like I was hiding something.

She said it doesnt remove me from the process but it does take points away from me in the scoring system. I asked her if using an attorney to take it off would help anything and she said that if I did use an attorney to have a ticket taken off for an offense I know I commited, I WOULD be kicked out of the process for lying. So needless to say this will be my first ticket on my record since 1991 if I cant get it deffered.
                sigpic

Comment

WOW bummer man. Best thing to do is just pay the ticket and have it go on your record. Fighting the ticket is something you dont want to do. YOu probably will get a instant DQ. Beein a trooper requires a bunch of honesty so to fight the ticket, it shoes dishonesty and they will not like that. Bummer this happened man. Im surprised the trooper didnt give you any slack. For not getting a ticket since 1991 and only going 10 over, thats kinda harsh. I would have probably given a verbal warning. Hope everything goes well in your process. Im in my backround investigation phase and everything you do while beein in that state of testing certainly effects the process so my reccommendation is try to abide by all laws, be yourself and just live life.

The other day I was like wow I still havent heard from state patrol. When I looked when I took my polygraph, it was only about a month or so ago so I got a ways to go ^_^

Best of wishes and hope everything works out for ya bronzey.
                  By the way how is the reptile zoo these days I used to go all the time as a kid but havent gone in a good 5-6 years.

Comment

If that is your first ticket in that many years, i wouldnt even let it bug me that it might hinder you in getting hired. When I went through it was almost like a competition who had the most, and I want to say the winner was at least 6 or 7. I sense maybe a little hostility towards the troopers up in the everett area here lol. This is my beat, and what you guys are saying is the primary complaint I get. 'Well I was only doing 10 or 12 over."

I dont know why there seems to be an understanding that we "give" people so many miles per hour over the speed limit before we start writing. I know every Trooper has there own line so to speak, I have mine, and normally I wont write people that are just 10 over, unless they are doing something else too (no signal, follow too close, bad lane changes).

Sometimes we drop the speeding class down to give people a break on the bail amount, so we will write 70+ in a 60 or whatever class it is. Thats what I was thinking probably happened to the one guys girlfriend who got a ticket for 5 over, she was probably going faster than that but the trooper/officer was being nice and dropped the class down. Check and see if there is a number written above the boxes for smd, pace, and aircraft. If there is, then that was the speed she was going.

Comment

Originally posted by golfdude0345 View Post
                      Thats what I was thinking probably happened to the one guys girlfriend who got a ticket for 5 over, she was probably going faster than that but the trooper/officer was being nice and dropped the class down.
                      In 2006 I got a no B.S., 65 in a 60 from a WSP motorcycle trooper. Went to court to mitigate it and the judge said: "5 over are you kidding me? This is rediculous. I dont normally do this but I am dismissing this ticket". I kind of take it as never actually getting a ticket on that one.
                      sigpic

Comment

Everyone gets into LE for different reasons. I hope traffic leads me to dope, illegal guns, warrants or other felonies in the car. For others, punishing an otherwise law abiding speeder is satisfying in and of itself. The law is the law, so I can't whine when it gets enforced or look away from everything I consider minor. And if someone wasn't out there writing tickets, chippy or not, the roads would be chaos.

Just keep this stuff in mind though when you choose your agency and what you plan to do when you get there. I'm a couple months from hitting the road and have no experience (so stand by with the grain of salt). But I'm always surprised by so many folks who apply to county/city AND state with no concept of how different they are. They just want a badge. Not that you are in that boat, but many are.

I've never done a ridealong with WSP...but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express...and I've earned a shiot-load of tickets!
                        Leaving my job as a Navy Pilot to become a cop..."This humble pie tastes great Sir, can I have some more?"

Comment

Originally posted by golfdude0345 View Post
                          When I went through it was almost like a competition who had the most, and I want to say the winner was at least 6 or 7.
                          Never understood why that was a bragging point. I'd frankly be embarrassed if I had that many tickets.

Comment

FlyNavy you are right, everyone gets into law enforcement for a reason, I hope that the agency you are with meets what you are looking for. The patrol fits mine, I love traffic law enforcement, which is our primary duties.

I am sorry you feel that speeding tickets and other such are chippy, but I couldnt imagine what the roads would be like with out us writing those "law abiding speeders." But going to crash after crash day in and day out where peoples vehicles get beat up, trashed and totaled because someone was following just a little too close and couldnt stop in time because traffic slowed.

I guess that is my drive for writing these chippy tickets, hoping that it makes a difference so that I dont have to go to that crash scene where someones car was hit because they werent paying attention when making a lane change (and pushed for 218'), and they are in tears crying on the freeway because that is there only mode of transportation, and now its gone.

Comment

I second that, I got hired, trained and paid to enforce the law. It's your own decision to break the law, and live with the result.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3434 users online. 173 members and 3261 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X