300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

I'm currently towards the end of WSP's hiring process, and I was wondering if I should apply for more departments or is it too late. We all want to secure our futures and get hired, and I feel like I have a great chance of being a trooper, but I also don't want to wait only to find out that I didn't make it, when I could be applying elsewhere as well. I know that the easy answer is to say YES go apply and see who gives the offer first....But as we all know the process is a lengthy one, and I don't want to spend months of work to find that I didn't need to. I want WSP so bad but I'm having trouble keeping my eye on the goal. Anyone else having this problem?

If it were me I would apply elsewhere and keep my options open (it's not like you work for them yet... how can they really get mad at you for trying to look out for your future). But if all you want is to be a Trooper, then applying elsewhere is pointless.
    Brass sucks.

Comment

Edited......
      Last edited by Super_HKS; 04-22-2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I have applied to many departments. I want to get on with SCSO but if they don't hire me I'd like to get into LE somewhere and then transfer over in a year or so (whatever the minimum time is). You might not even have to go through much of the hiring process before WSP calls anyway. Keep us updated if you get that phone call.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyAndrew21
          Super_HKS arent you still in the background part?
          If you are, your still in Phase 3(poly and background are part of phase 3) and the next Arming is in March 09. The next academy is a few months after that. And since 1supertrooper already passed phase 3, his background is already completed and he is most likely on the eligibility list waiting to be called.

1supertrooper, the WSP will begin calling around November to hire people(this is what I have been told time and time again), so you probably wont hear from them until around then. I for one, would not put all your eggs in one basket. Obviously a LE job is very hard to get. If I were you I would apply to some more departments.

Oh wow I was under the impression that phase 4 was Backround investigation/medical post physical etc. Thanks for correcting me man I appreciate it. I also was wrong about the academy class. I forgot to mention that arming is march and academy is after that.

Comment

Thanks for all the input... Yeah I almost took offense to the questioning of my BI.... I'm squeeky clean!!!! But I understand. There is a lot of people that can get through everything else but when the truth comes out... I think I may be one of the first set of applicants that are in the bracket of the March 09' arming class if I'm hired, so for me I've been waiting a long time. As for wanting to be a trooper, to be completly honest, I used to be interested in anyone that was interested in me. Now that I am a part of the process, I have re-thought all of my ideations. I have been involved in LE and Fire for a long time. I have done LE and Fire academy's, raised in a military family, and I love the structure and I think that is very important in WSP. Being a Trooper has now turned into a dream that I didn't know was there. I can say that I would be very discouraged if I wasn't hired, but I also need to be realistic in knowing that it is a possibility. I have a true ability and desire to help people. Nothing else. It sounds cliche, but the gun and the badge are there for safety and nothing else and I will never forget that. If WSP finds that they are looking for someone else than I will find an agency elsewhere. I just don't want to be that guy that everyone knows, that is a part-time security guard that loves watching COPS every night wishing he would have tried harder. I appreciate the help and I think I just need some reasurance to be honest. It's been a long time...

PS I appreciate the great advice from^. It means a lot to me and I hope we are all hired at the same time so we can rock the next arming class. Honestly a big help.
            Last edited by 1SuperTrooper; 08-17-2008, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SuperTrooper View Post
              I'm currently towards the end of WSP's hiring process, and I was wondering if I should apply for more departments or is it too late. We all want to secure our futures and get hired, and I feel like I have a great chance of being a trooper, but I also don't want to wait only to find out that I didn't make it, when I could be applying elsewhere as well. I know that the easy answer is to say YES go apply and see who gives the offer first....But as we all know the process is a lengthy one, and I don't want to spend months of work to find that I didn't need to. I want WSP so bad but I'm having trouble keeping my eye on the goal. Anyone else having this problem?
              Nothing wrong with having well defined goals.....but always have a "Plan B".
              Good Luck
              You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Personally, if you want to be in the State Patrol, don't apply elsewhere. Here is why I say this. Get into the patrol, feel it out and then if you don't like it, you can always lateral out into another department. As you know, you can't lateral into the patrol. Seems to me that would make it easier to get into one of those other jobs. You'd already have experience. Changing the subject. Getting hired on with the WSP will test your patience to the extremes. It took me 11 months to get in. Now I have to wait till April for the next trooper basic class. The whole thing is a waiting game at each step. I just keep that shiny white Crown Victoria that will soon be in my driveway in my head and it helps me to keep going. Plus it's fun now that I get to wear the uniform.....Even as a cadet!

Comment

Originally posted by Biggler20 View Post
                  Personally, if you want to be in the State Patrol, don't apply elsewhere. Here is why I say this. Get into the patrol, feel it out and then if you don't like it, you can always lateral out into another department. As you know, you can't lateral into the patrol. Seems to me that would make it easier to get into one of those other jobs. You'd already have experience. Changing the subject. Getting hired on with the WSP will test your patience to the extremes. It took me 11 months to get in. Now I have to wait till April for the next trooper basic class. The whole thing is a waiting game at each step. I just keep that shiny white Crown Victoria that will soon be in my driveway in my head and it helps me to keep going. Plus it's fun now that I get to wear the uniform.....Even as a cadet!
                  Thanks Biggler... That really helps. It's great to hear from someone that was recently in my shoes and now is getting to taste the reality. I honestly don't think I would like to lateral, but we're all human and sometimes things change. How did the academy really turn out compared to what you thought it would be? I think once I get past arming, things will be much better not only knowing that you are in the right direction, but you are more aware of what is expected and what is soon to come for Trooper academy. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggler20 View Post
                    Thanks Biggler... That really helps. It's great to hear from someone that was recently in my shoes and now is getting to taste the reality. I honestly don't think I would like to lateral, but we're all human and sometimes things change. How did the academy really turn out compared to what you thought it would be? I think once I get past arming, things will be much better not only knowing that you are in the right direction, but you are more aware of what is expected and what is soon to come for Trooper academy. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry Guys! Hit Enter Two Too Many Times!
                      Last edited by 1SuperTrooper; 08-19-2008, 05:12 AM. Reason: SORRY GUYS! HIT ENTER TWO TOO MANY TIMES

Comment

Arming wasnt really that bad. We all got there that first morning expecting to get our butts ripped and it didnt happen. Arming uses whats called a ramp up method so they turn up the heat a little more each week. Some of it was hard and other parts were really easy. I struggled a bit with a few of the tests but the academics werent that bad. Im just a lousy test taker. i got through it though. The staff is there to help and they do just that if you ask. Arming reminded me of a mini academy. There was so much to learn and a tone of classes but they all didnt go really in depth. Just sort of a "here's whats to come". Except for the shooting and CT (control tactics). Those classs were a lot of fun and are pretty much in depth because thats the only way to learn them. Just wait for the day you get sprayed with the OC. Worst day of my life!

Comment

OC is absolutly the worst day.

There is my 2 cents.

Biggler, hope it's all going well down there.

Comment

Ouch!!!! I've never been sprayed before, but I have rubbed some in my eyes on accident. I'm sure that I have no clue what it will be like til' it happens! Ouch again... Anyways, that is some great info. I think all of us waiting for arming don't really know what to expect so that's great. I'm just going to prep for the worst and hope for the best. Thanks again.
                            PS Cool pic!

Comment

OC-10 fun!!!

Originally posted by Ebster View Post
                              OC is absolutly the worst day.

There is my 2 cents.
                              I'll add my 2 cents to that too! I don't even like looking at the pictures from that day (well... I take that back, it was not fun doing it and remembering how much it sucked, but to look back on it and knowing you did it is actually kind of cool).

Biggler, hope it's all going well down there.
                              Yeah... make sure you get some sun every once in a while though!

Ebster,
                              Hope all is going well with you and I should be seeing you on Monday.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5542 users online. 349 members and 5193 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X