300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Zoo Police

Is hiring again. Anyone know how hard it is to get into the motors unit?
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

"National ZOO police"? Good lord, is there anything that DOESN'T have a police department in DC? We'll be reading about the formation of the "KFC Police" soon. Seriously, as many law-enforcement agencies in DC, there should be less crime than in Heaven...*ignorant rant over*

Comment

Didn't think they have a motors unit...

Comment

They have small motorcycles, we call them scooters, 1,000 cc and less,, most are about 500 cc's.... they are great to get around the parking lot, and foot paths in the Zoo. Unless things have changed since i was up there, they do not have ANY emergency equipment. As for how hard it is,, you need to get a M/C license, and take the 2 week course. Usually the officer already come to the job with MC exp. or they used to go to USPP Scooter class, dunno if they still do.

Comment

you have to admit it would be a pretty cool place to work if you weren't in it for the excitement.
          "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

I remember seeing those guys do stops on Ct. Ave. Seems like it would be an intresting job.

Comment

Anyone know what they carry and if they have off duty carry.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                Anyone know what they carry and if they have off duty carry.
                I think they used to carry .38 revolvers, but not sure about now.

Comment

Why on earth does a Zoo of all places need its own police dept? ……..Calling all scooters calling all scooters a kid just threw peanuts in the Elephant exhibit again S.W.A.T is en route proceed with caution, he has a whole bag of nuts…………. I say that in a joking manor and mean no disrespect, I just find it weird that a zoo would have a PD a detail or “beat” from the local PD to help with things but wow would have never thought.

just did a search after posting and found this,PDF NATIONAL ZOO would have never guesed

Staff
                  The National Zoo maintains a staff of 250 between the Rock Creek and Front Royal, Va.,
                  facilities, including animal caretakers, veterinarians and scientists. More than 100 facilities
                  maintenance staff and 30 police officers are assigned to the Zoo.
                  FONZ supports the National Zoo by developing and implementing education, membership
                  and volunteer programs; hosting special events; raising funds for Zoo projects; and providing grants
                  for Zoo research. FONZ operates an extensive wildlife-education program, and its corps of more
                  than 1,500 volunteers provides about 90,000 hours of service to the Zoo each year. FONZ also
                  provides concessions, merchandise and parking services for Zoo visitors.
                  Last edited by DACP; 08-14-2008, 07:17 PM.
                  It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

they upgraded to 9mm few years ago, I think sigs ,, but not sure.....

Pays so low because it can... a large percentage of officers there are retired MPDC, or USPP officers,,, they are working their second job and already receiving a pension from the fed or DC....
                    Last edited by 2971511; 08-14-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I know that the Brookfield Zoo in the Chicago area also has its own PD.

Met a person who used to work for them, said something intresting things. New chief no longer trying to hire retired guys. With the expaned jurisdiction, looking to get some younger officers on board especially since it is an open facility and had a shooting 7-8 years ago.. Also do handle calls with USPP and MPDC 2nd district. If your not FLETC certified or been through the MPD academy, they will send you. Smithsonian is pushing to get them merged into the Office Of Protection services, so it will be intresting to see if they try to make these guys guards or put them elsewhere.

They attend USPP motor school and will get you the certs you need if you want to work motors for them. Also has a very active bike unit and send your IPMBA training if not certified.
                      Last edited by orlandofed5-0; 08-14-2008, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toughjerseyguy
                        The National Zoo has its own police force because it is located on Federal Property which has exclusive federal jurisdiction.
                        Do you have an idea as to what the heck you are talking about? The National zoo is in Rock Creek park which is under jurisdiction of the US Park Police however USPP can not dedicate resources to keeping a whole unit 24/7/365 there so the Zoo formed its own police division.

Comment

Originally posted by flash40 View Post
                          Didn't think they have a motors unit...
                          Yeah they do.

Comment

They have cool little police golf carts also
                            Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by toughjerseyguy
                              My God. You are not comprehending my message. All I was saying was that the Zoo is on Federal Property and for that reason it is under the jurisdiction of the Federal Government.
                              Just because the government owns property does not mean it has to have federal police officers on property. There are lots of properties that do not have federal law enforcement response and uses the locals such as SSA buildings.

Also the zoo has its own police force because USPP could not keep a dedicated unit there. Also the zoo is concurrent jurisdiction for both USPP and MPDC.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6559 users online. 366 members and 6193 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X