300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPD Employment Contract

I read on MPD's website that you are required to give at least 2 years of service after graduation from the academy. Is this because of high turnover? If you quit before the 2 years do you have to pay back money or something too? thanks

If I recall, it is if you resign to become a cop elsewhere you owe them, If you do not become a cop, I think you are clear. The reasoning is to prevent people from using MPD as a training ground. I am sure someone will have the definitive answer.

Comment

I think the way it is worded is if you quit before your two years is up you owe the dept. $5,000 at the discretion of the chief. If I remember correctly, that is regardless of why you resign, or where your next job is. If you resign for a civilian position, they'll probably let you out of the contract, but I believe that's between you and the chief (or other designated higher-up's).

But really, two years isnt that bad. Even if you went to MPD with the intentions of moving to a different department, at least give it a chance. Two years gives you enough time to get off of FTO and see all the department has to offer. At the two year mark, you're getting close to when you can test for Sgt/Detective and the like. And if you decide after the two years that MPD isnt for you, then you have two years of experience that would be hard to duplicate in smaller county or local agencies.
      Last edited by Bigredmachine; 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigredmachine View Post
        I think the way it is worded is if you quit before your two years is up you owe the dept. $5,000 at the discretion of the chief. If I remember correctly, that is regardless of why you resign, or where your next job is. If you resign for a civilian position, they'll probably let you out of the contract, but I believe that's between you and the chief (or other designated higher-up's).

But really, two years isnt that bad. Even if you went to MPD with the intentions of moving to a different department, at least give it a chance. Two years gives you enough time to get off of FTO and see all the department has to offer. At the two year mark, you're getting close to when you can test for Sgt/Detective and the like. And if you decide after the two years that MPD isnt for you, then you have two years of experience that would be hard to duplicate in smaller county or local agencies.
        Yeah I was just curious, I wouldn't do anything like that, I just wanted to know how it worked.

Comment

Per my supervisor it is two years unless you lateral to a Federal agency or another DC city job. You only have to pay back MPD if you leave for another state or city agency. You are responsible for paying your "training cost" up to $5000 but not necessarily that much.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6448 users online. 351 members and 6097 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X