300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Customs and Border Protection

I just recently applied for a Border Patrol Agent with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the job? For example, how much they pay, is it a good agency to work for, and what kind of schedule do they work. Thanks to all who reply.
    Birmingham PD

Magic City... Here I come!!!!!
    Academy Starts 8/3/09!!!!!

Just curious, why did you apply before asking questions about the agency?

Comment

http://www.honorfirst.com/

Comment

The test to me was hard.
        Study the packet they give you for review
        "I for one am more reluctant than to Study any packets that the feds hand out ,...
        I didnt pass the FBI
        I didnt pass the CBP officer exam
        Or the Border patrol exam 6/26/08

they usually come with a study packet but Ive notced in the Feds that the study packets have nothing to do with the test itself.

But exams like MPD or the Fire department
        when you do take their exams and you actually study the study packet
        (it turns out that its exactly the same material on the exam)and I passed

So the Feds compared to city departments and their study packets are different

But particulary on the border patrol exam theres a large part of "How fast can you learn a language? its a answer key of some made up languge some comp geek probly came up with. that you have to learn in order to pass "But that part comes with your study packet so Learn it"
        Its 1-2hrs of the test

-MPD Applicant

Comment

If I remember correctly they work five ten hour shifts. Why five ten hour shifts? Regular 40 hour work week plus 10 hours a week of AUO. Salary I believe begins at GL-5 which will put you at about $35k before locality and AUO. The border is like the wild west at this point so expect to have things thrown at you or be shot at everyday. One of the most respected law enforcement positions in the country so you do your time and can make it to another agency without trouble. I know a couple people who were BPA's and then moved to ICE to become Deportation Officers. Also, many have gone on to the FBI, Secret Service, State Department, etc. Test will focus on your ability to learn a second language. They are doing a one month hiring deal where everything will be done in a month from test to offer. Be ready to head south! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Teflon Africon View Post

they usually come with a study packet but Ive notced in the Feds that the study packets have nothing to do with the test itself.

But particulary on the border patrol exam theres a large part of "How fast can you learn a language? its a answer key of some made up languge some comp geek probly came up with. that you have to learn in order to pass "But that part comes with your study packet so Learn it"
            Its 1-2hrs of the test

-MPD Applicant
            THIS IS NOT A FLAME....

I just took the Border Patrol Agent test on July 18th, and the packet they sent me was exactly like the test. The artificial language test used different "words" as the packet stated it would, and of course all the questions were different, but the packet I received was structured with similar questions as the test. I think you either got a bad packet, likely not the case, or you didn't study much to begin with.
            Last edited by ynohtnar; 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM. Reason: Fixing quote

Comment

"But that part comes with your study packet so Learn it"

thats what I realized there

that is why I wrote that The study packets for the FBI and CBP are not as closely related as the Border patrols packet,..you should study the border patrols packet.

-MPD Appicant

Comment

Oh, gotcha! I read that statement wrong, I apologize.

Comment

I'm also in the hiring process for Border Patrol. My test is in late June. Does anyone know how long after the physical test is?

Also I put in for the Northern border after the probationary period, are the chances good for getting what I requested? I would also love to hear any stories or experiences anyone had while at the academy.

Thanks

Comment

Folks, go into the Employment Section, there are a number of Border Patrol Agent threads that are hundreds of pages long. Search them and check out Honorfirst.com, that will answer 99.99% of all questions.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5606 users online. 309 members and 5297 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X