300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a tough question...

I don't think MPD has it as bad as a lot of the other big agencies in the country. We also have pretty decent pay/benefits. On the other hand, the cost of living in getting outrageous in the DMV. I have more issues with that than the Department itself. My second issue is days off being cancelled all of the time.

I'd say that this is the perfect place to come and get A LOT of experience for three to five years. I'd also say that it's somewhat of a decent place to work work if friends/family are in the area or if a spouse needs to be in DMV. I'm not sure about staying longer than five years if there were not any friend/family requirements, but that is a decisions everyone has to make for themselves.

I think things are tough across the country right now, especially in large cities. With that said, I PERSONALLY think things are getting worse in VA at a quicker pace than in DC (which is insane).

Comment

• Thanks for your thoughts! You staying there till retirement? Also when are they stopping this freeze and putting in another class?

Comment

• I plan on staying and I personally wouldn't leave MPD for another agency in the DMV. PG PD would be my first choice if I wasn't concerned about living as close to DC as possible (spouse). Prince Williams PD and Fairfax PD are also decent places to look if you don't have to be close to DC. VA State Police is decent if you want to be a Trooper, but they have retention issues due to morale. I'd do some research about the latest Policing policies in VA.

From the recruiting RUMMOR mill. I've heard hiring freeze until OCT, then two academy classes per month (one class starting every two weeks) next year. I have absolutely nothing to base that on other than conversations with other Officers.

DC is a really hard place to work. Most people that I know with less than five years are actively looking to leave the agency. My gut tells me that it has always been like that though.

Comment

• Well just got a call saying am I still interested in the position rumors said at the end of August the next class will start also people coming from out of state the dorms will not be available that got cut from the defunding.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapmanp1 View Post
            That's a tough question...

I don't think MPD has it as bad as a lot of the other big agencies in the country. We also have pretty decent pay/benefits. On the other hand, the cost of living in getting outrageous in the DMV. I have more issues with that than the Department itself. My second issue is days off being cancelled all of the time.

I'd say that this is the perfect place to come and get A LOT of experience for three to five years. I'd also say that it's somewhat of a decent place to work work if friends/family are in the area or if a spouse needs to be in DMV. I'm not sure about staying longer than five years if there were not any friend/family requirements, but that is a decisions everyone has to make for themselves.

I think things are tough across the country right now, especially in large cities. With that said, I PERSONALLY think things are getting worse in VA at a quicker pace than in DC (which is insane).
            I hear you on the COL. I was in the hiring process for a 3 letter INTEL agency until I got on with a PD down south (starting next month) and just looking at day care cost in DMV and wtf. I pay 225.00 a week now. DMV area after calling 2 or 3 places. 400.00 to 450.00 a week, Where I am going 145 to 180 a week. HUGE difference.

For me to afford to live on a GS-12 if I got the position i would need to live in a shack in Northern VA. The only thing that would have helped would be if I was overseas on duty for 1 to 2 years getting all the bonuses for location pay, etc etc Sucks cause it would have been cool but without the wife getting a job at the same time it would have been hard as hell to make the ends meet.

Anyhow Im happy with how things have played out so far. Another thing about the DMV that bothers me is the traffic, when my GPS says its 35 minutes to travel 10 miles thats a problem lol.

Comment

• I know...

It would take me 45 min to get from E Cap to U St on a FRI night. Its roughly 1.5-2.0 miles away...

Comment

• Well, just got a call that the academy is tentatively scheduled for 8/30/21, and that I should be hearing something this week if I’m accepted into the class, or not. I guess only time will tell. Good luck to all still in the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by JailDeputy90 View Post
                  Well, just got a call that the academy is tentatively scheduled for 8/30/21, and that I should be hearing something this week if I’m accepted into the class, or not. I guess only time will tell. Good luck to all still in the process.
                  Chasing Dreams ...

Comment

• Was chosen for 8/30 Academy. Anyone looking for a roommate while we grind through the academy?

Comment

• EastCoast22
                      EastCoast22 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congrats! When did you complete everything?

• EastCoast22 I received the offer a few weeks ago!

Comment

• How’s the academy. And any news when the next one will be?

Comment

• wydstepbro
                        wydstepbro commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The academy was ez when I went thru it. There isn't any physical fitness test, but you have to show progress from your last test (whatever that means). The course material isn't all that hard but expect, because it's 2021, for the material to change a lot once you go on the street.

I haven't heard anything internally about a new academy. The new academy class got rumored for august and correctly started in august.

• So there is a new MPD Academy currently in session as of today?..when did it start?
                      MPD Timeline

Application-12/9/2011
                      Test-1/25/2012
                      PHS-3/1/2012
                      Mass Processing/PAT-3/10/2012
                      Psych- 4/3/2012
                      Medical-4/17/2012
                      Poly- 4/23/2012
                      Home Visit- 5/18/2012

Final Review - 9/21/2012
                      Call from Lt/Email Confirmation Letter- 9/28/2012
                      Academy Start Date: 11/19/2012
                      Academy Graduation Date: 8/30/2013

Comment

• how’s the academy any rumors on the next one? or can one of the guys in ask and get a gauge of when.

Comment

• Llama Lama
                          Llama Lama commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The next one is 09/27.

• Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the results of your medical and psych evaluation? I completed both on the same day about a week ago and was just curious.

Comment

• Rugbyboy13
                          Rugbyboy13 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          you should hear something back by next week. or you can ask your recruiter.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2960 users online. 120 members and 2840 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X