300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable housing?

So any MPD guys have suggestions about where a new recruit could live without giving away his whole check for rent? I know DC itself is expensive, and Im discovering that Arlington aint much better. Suggestions?

Arlington is very reasonable if you find someone to split the rent with. There are a ton of houses in Arlington, so by splitting the rent with 2 or 3 others, you will end up paying between $600 and $800 a person for the rent. If you dont know anyone, I have found Craigslist to be a very good resource to find a place.

When are you planning on moving?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

Try Silver Spring, MD area. That's where I'm looking, probably will spend around 600 a month.
      "Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." -Monsignor

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Veritas Aequitas

Ne cede malis

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mbrigha1 View Post
        Try Silver Spring, MD area. That's where I'm looking, probably will spend around 600 a month.
        Unless your planning on sharing an apartment or a house with some people, you won't be finding anything in the $600 range. Quite frankly, inside the beltway expect to pay around $1,000 a month if you want your own place, unless you are cool with living in the hood.

Comment

I would try living in the NE or SE around RFK Stadium. I live off Benning road in the NE and cant complain. Everything you need is at a plaza up the street on Maryland Ave. Safeway,CVS,Modells. Plus 295 is right down the street with only a 10 minute commute to the academy. I share a house now but Im moving to a 1BR in SE a few blocks from the stadium in April. Being close to the academy is crucial. You dont wanna live out in VA or MD and drive an hour or more to get there on time and that extra hour of sleep helps. You could live in NW but you'll be paying up to 1100-1330 to live in a "nice" neighborhood. Live in the hood for awhile and save some money.

Comment

I am hoping to meet some decent people at the academy during residential who might be interested in sharing a place until we get our feet on the ground (if I get the job). I am still going to have a house in another state to worry about... The way the market is I might be holding onto it for a while - if I can...
            sigpic

Comment

Why does everyone think Arlington is an hour away from DC? Has anyone been to Georgetown? Ok, those buildings, 100 yards away on the other side of the Potomac River is Arlington. Most of Arlington is closer to downtown DC than the rest of DC is. I live in the Clarendon neighborhood of Arlington, it is under a 5 minute drive into Foggy Bottom or Georgetown, anytime of the day, or I could bike it to both locations or even to the White House within 10 minutes.

Arlington was part of Washington DC until 1846 ... the original land grant for to the federal government included, Georgetown, City of Washington, County of Washington, City of Alexandria and County of Alexandria (later renamed Arlington).

Sorry to go off topic, it just drives me nuts how anytime you mention anything with the word VIRGINIA (even Arlington) in it; in the DC area everyone thinks its at least an hours drive away.

Comment

Quote:

"Sorry to go off topic, it just drives me nuts how anytime you mention anything with the word VIRGINIA (even Arlington) in it; in the DC area everyone thinks its at least an hours drive away."

Well, I would assume most people would realize Arlington is close simply because of Arlington National Cemetary (sp) but eh...Virginia is a huge state. Some people not from the area seem to forget about Northern Virginia I guess and just think of the Southern Virginia and don't realize how close it all is...

Comment

I lived in the College Park/Greenbelt, MD area and it was basically a straight shot down 295 to get to the academy.

check out the Towers of Westchester Park..thats where I lived...they also gave a 5% police discount (even as a recruit)

Comment

I would say Alex (i.e huntington ... etc)

Comment

I'm in Alexandria.....was a 12 minute drive to the academy....and now about a 16 minute drive to 7D. Very convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by LRGguy View Post
                        I would say Alex (i.e huntington ... etc)
                        Eck....too many MS-13 Gangbangers there....

Nothing like seeing dope sales in the middle of a Saturday afternoon in a 7-11 parking lot.......

Comment

I lived in Pentagon City/Crystal City area..... Somewhat pricey but well worth it....

Great shops/restaurants/bars/supermarkets, very low crime, close to the Metro.....and about 10 mins or less into DC on 395.....or if you swing aorund on 227 past the Pentagon about 15 mins......

I ever go back out there, I would go back to the same 'hood.....

Comment

I've got an application in with a DC department, and I'm currently working on two more. For the sake of asking are there any good areas, reasonably priced, up in the northern DC area around Connecticut Ave or over towards AU? I've got a couple of friends in that area (none of which are in potential roommate capacity) that talk about how much they like it - and its been nice during visits. Don't know if I'd even get the job(s) - but it'd be nice to know where to look just in case. Appreciate any / all information. Oh, and I guess the big thing is that, as far the website says, the one starts around 37K (and the rest are about the same). Not sure if that's enough to survive on.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4490 users online. 231 members and 4259 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X