300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Protective Service duties

I'm aware that a major responsibility of the Federal Protective Service is supervision of contract security agencies protecting federal facilities. Out of curiosity, what properties, if any, are actually guarded by FPS personnel? Thanks and be safe/
    John from Maryland

Those properties deemed in need of protection.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

In the D.C.metro area, private security contractors guard and patrol the Energy Department, State Department, some Justice facilities including DEA headquarters, the Department of Agriculture, and some HHS facilities. The contractors are reasonably well paid and trained and are supervised by FPS inspectors.

If the federal government doesn't consider those properties "in need of protection", I guess that explains a lot about the Capitol insurrection. Thanks for the information.
      John from Maryland

Comment

FPS isn't a large enough agency on it's own to provide constant static posts at the 9000+ Federal buildings under it's purview nationwide. In lieu of this they contract out to the security guard companies to provide the immediate security needs (static posts, x-ray and metal detectors at entrances). FPS in turn acts as more of a traditional response agency, coming in when someone pops with a warrant at a checkpoint, or when an actual call for service originates on or near one of the 9000+ properties. They also conduct the physical security reviews and contract upkeep duties to ensure the security guard companies are delivering on the quality required.

The Dept of State provides it's own uniformed security personnel, some under contract and some part of DSS. FPS doesn't control these areas or contracts. Department of Energy is similar, with it's own security apparatus. Department of Agriculture and Justice as well. FPS doesn't have anything to do with the LE or physical security of these Cabinet level Departments.

Comment

Thanks, brother. I had the impression FPS officers were no longer standing routine watches at federal properties. It sounds like a much cooler job than back in the day. Well, I suppose supervising security contractors, even if they are well-trained and disciplined) may not be all that cool, but the rest seems pretty good.

Thanks and be safe.
          John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland View Post
            Thanks, brother. I had the impression FPS officers were no longer standing routine watches at federal properties. It sounds like a much cooler job than back in the day. Well, I suppose supervising security contractors, even if they are well-trained and disciplined) may not be all that cool, but the rest seems pretty good.

Thanks and be safe.
            They're not "standing watch" because they're mobile patrol for the most part. They patrol a set area and respond to Federal buildings in that area for calls for service, as well as assist other agencies (especially for special events like the Inauguration). Only a part of their duties are overseeing the guard force, the other part is being a uniformed patrol officer and patrolling their areas. They also have 1811's (Criminal Investigators).

Comment

I hear they dont have the most exciting job but they pay well, get a take home cruiser and have lots of O/T. Oh and they’re not covered.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6322 users online. 358 members and 5964 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X