Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0083 vs 0085..... Does either have any authority? Are the jobs vastly different?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0083 vs 0085..... Does either have any authority? Are the jobs vastly different?

Afternoon,

I was offered a job as a dod cop (0083) at a local base near by DC. I was also offered a security guard job paying about 6k more (0085). Both jobs are with the DOD but the 0085 pays more money with overtime and shift diff.

Ive heard both jobs are similar and neither really has any real authority. Would anyone be able to offer any insight into the jobs? The extra money would really help on becoming current with my bills.

My ultimate goal is to become an Air Marshall.

First, you need to spell MARSHAL correctly...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Depends on the branch of service and what you will be doing. The Navy tends to use 0083 series police officers for duties that are more defined for what an 0085 series security guard might do. There's really no difference as both receive authority from the base commander.

​​​​​​It's a big reason why OPM should do away with the merged GS 0083-0085 series job booklet and audit the career fields.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

For the Army: At Ft Jackson 0083s were the civilian Police (and worked with the MPs), we did SOLELY LE, no Gates. We did not work at all with the Guards, they had their own leaders and guardmounts, worked different days, etc. Here at APG, 0083s assist at Gates if needed, and also do the ONLY LE, as we have no MPs (and only 5% military). Guards work for the Police, same leaders, same shifts. 0085s do only Guard duties where I have been
        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Depends on the agency. That's a terrible answer but it's true.
          1*

Comment

If the 0083 has 6c retirement and the 0085 job does not, that's a big deal. You want to get that clock ticking as early as possible...

The 0083 series will open more doors than the 0085 series.

Think long term. Making a decision based on a few extra dollars now may cost you $$$$ in the long run.
            What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

I am unaware of any 6c 0083 jobs, but I have only worked for the Army, there could be some.
              Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
              Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Neither 0083 or 0085 have 6c. As stated above more money now cost in the back end. It's not a bad way to get the foot in with the feds. Mind you either way you go you have to do more training. Most agencies/departments don't think of 0083 as Law enforcement, that's just due to bad experience with a select few. Each base is different and allow their 0083s more leeway in doing things well other don't.
                I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                  Neither 0083 or 0085 have 6c. As stated above more money now cost in the back end. It's not a bad way to get the foot in with the feds. Mind you either way you go you have to do more training. Most agencies/departments don't think of 0083 as Law enforcement, that's just due to bad experience with a select few. Each base is different and allow their 0083s more leeway in doing things well other don't.
                  That is incorrect. There are 6c or technically 12d retirement agencies within the 0083 series. Those include BIA police, US Park Police, Supreme Court police and a few others.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9638 users online. 353 members and 9285 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X