300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMTRAK Police

Is it me or did anyone else notice how fast the DC Amtrak Police Officer position opened and closed?

Probably limited the applications
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I am starting an academy with an Amtrak guy from DC. I don’t remember how long his hiring process was. He said he was hired June this year and has been sitting around since. We are starting the academy next month.

Comment

I didnt apply for the opening but apparently Amtrak put my name in for the opening and I see at some time I may be called for an interview and if I have any questions prior to the interview to contact them. I have FLETC and DC code so maybe they need experience officers and dont have to pay for training, who knows I'm not holding my breath

Comment

I applied to that announcement waiting to hear back

Comment

They seem to be a funny agency how they do things, good luck with the process

Comment

I just applied to the posting the other day. Any one with Amtrak knowledge on here? Had a few questions about it

Comment

For those considering AMTRAK it can be a good gig, but just remember... YOU MUST DO THE FULL 30 YEARS to get their retirement! If you work 25, or even 29... nadda. However, if you stick it out their retirement is almost unheard of. Last I remember it was something like 80% salary and there was even a provision that allows your spouse to draw 50% of that as well I think?

I had applied several times before but never made the cut despite 5 years fed LEO and 1 year state. I've heard stories of guys who will go spend a few years as a conductor or some other support role just to get foot in the door (as they typically hire from within before considering outside).
                "Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
                You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at"

Comment

• boconnor
                  boconnor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where are you getting the full 30 years part? Last I checked there is no pension any more with Amtrak. Just a 401 and railroad retirement.

Your vested interest RR retirement after 5 years. It's a better version of social security.

I may be able to answer questions that anyone has about working for Amtrak PD.

Comment

• boconnor
                  boconnor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Care to pm me? You on the job?

• SUPPLYORDIE
                  SUPPLYORDIE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can you provide and idea of what the process is from start to finish. I just applied to the NY announcement and would like to know what to expect. I am currently living in Florida and would like to get a general sense of what to expect.. Thanks stay safe

The process may very from division to division, but basically once you apply, you will get an assessment from HR that is used to see if you will fit into the job. If you pass that, the next part is a physical agility test and a written test. They are given on separate days. If you pass that, the next part is an oral board interview. Pass the interview and you will be sent a background packet to complete and send back in. After it is reviewed you will be contacted by a background investigator and they will review your packet. The investigator will do their thing and make a recommendation. When I was hired that was the last step. In recent years there has also been a phone interview with the chief added but I'm not sure if that is still the case or not.

This process can take anywhere from about 6 months to 2 years depending on need for officers and number of people in the process.

If you have any other questions, I can try to answer them.

Comment

Can you explain or tell me if Amtrak Police have Good retirement and pay benefits comparing to others agencies like USSD ,NSA, Capitol police ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by OG7 View Post
                    Can you explain or tell me if Amtrak Police have Good retirement and pay benefits comparing to others agencies like USSD ,NSA, Capitol police ?

Thanks
                    What the hell is the USSD?
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• SUPPLYORDIE
                      SUPPLYORDIE commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am going to assume he means USSS UD Secret Service Uniform Division

Can't really compare since I don't have any info on other Departments but I can give some basic info on Amtrak Police.

Retirement is through Railroad Retirement which is 60 years of age and 30 years of service. You are vested after 5 years of service. We also have a 401k. Salary is comparable to other Departments from what I can tell as well as the benefits.

Comment

• OG7
                      OG7 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you!

Guys quick question.
                    For those who will be eligible for a lateral transfer, coming for another dept or less than 5 years of separation, they'll have to wait for the academy to be over so they can have the same start date as anyone else? Or it's a different process?
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZQeMv5PXhg HOOAH Brother!!!

Got the email @ 1800 Dec 16
                    STAY STRONG!!!
                    US ARMY

Comment

The hiring process is the same for everyone whether you have the academy or not. If hired, you will probably have a mix of people with the academy and those without. The people who already completed the academy will start FTO once commissioned. The people without the academy will complete that and then start the FTO process.

Comment

• leo1112
                        leo1112 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        you have to have completed Amtrak police academy to skip academy or will having completed any academy suffice

• firefighter-emt
                        firefighter-emt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Any police academy, as long as it is accepted by your reporting location, will suffice. If you don't have the academy, you will be sent to either a local academy or FLETC depending on where you are in the country.

• leo1112
                        leo1112 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great news!!! Now I just have to hear something I applied but haven’t heard anything so far

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7556 users online. 368 members and 7188 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X