300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Corps of Engineers - Rangers

Does anyone here happen to know about the Army Corps of Engineers Park Rangers? I know the Visitor Assistance rangers are more or less the 'LE' Rangers for the ACOE project areas, or whatever they are called. ;-) Ive read that while they do have 'enforcement authority' for a wide range of things, they dont normally use it. Also, it seems that they dont actually attend an official FLET academy. And it would seem that they are not armed - although the internet research shows they 'could' be, but the Army does not. Just wondering what training they do receive and what the job is like. If anyone can shed some light on it, that would be grrrreat. :-)

It really isn't considered a law enforcement position. I talked to a few of their guys at a ranger conference a few years back. They all liked it but you have to know what you are getting yourself into. A few of them post over on PLEA's forum www.parkranger.com if you want more info.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Yeah, it seems a lot more 'generalist' then anything - but they still seem to be the ones that do any kind of enforcement or emergency response when needed. I've read up on the threads over there at PR.com and some of them contain a few tidbits, but it seems most of them turn in to huge arguments about authority, carrying guns, duties, etc. So I dont want to have to wade in to that unless I cant get anymore information from here.

Comment

The USA COE Park Rangers back in NW Missouri were unarmed and could do limited LE work. They use to call us to the lake (or surrounding camp ground area) when the did stops/ped checks and got warrants.....as they couldn't arrest folks on the warrant.

They did write US Magistrate tickets for misdemeanor for stuff like speed, C&I, DUI, littering, illegal fishing stuff, fireworks, alcohol violations, etc....

Out of the 10 that worked that office, 7 were retired and didn't do much. The other 3 were very active and were looking to leave to find a "real LE" job as they put it.....

Comment

Thanks for the information! You didnt happen to know how or where their training takes place do you? One that posted elsewhere talked about how they have different types of training at different times, but didnt provide information on what/where. I wouldnt expect it to necessarily transfer anywhere, but some form of training always looks good for something in other regards. It seems like some try to be more LE, where some try to be more general park ranger within their various respects.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSU
            Thanks for the information! You didnt happen to know how or where their training takes place do you? One that posted elsewhere talked about how they have different types of training at different times, but didnt provide information on what/where. I wouldnt expect it to necessarily transfer anywhere, but some form of training always looks good for something in other regards. It seems like some try to be more LE, where some try to be more general park ranger within their various respects.
            I never asked. I just know they were limited to areas around the lake....like access roads and camp grounds. The Missouri State Water Patrol covered the actual lake water......

I do know that they don't go to FLETC......not sure if it's based on previous training......or if they do some sort of stuff there locally so that they can get commissioned....

Comment

Appreciate the information!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3294 users online. 170 members and 3124 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X