Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did have a chance to chat with a guy who has been on for 12 years. He seemed to enjoy it and basically said it's what you make of it. He did acknowledge that some have jumped ship to take jobs with various county agencies or FAMS.

The BI said that if I don't pass the poly or psych he has hundreds of people waiting in line behind me. He also stated that they hired between 100 - 150 each FY.

Patriot72

Comment

Originally posted by outofthecorps1 View Post
      The turn around is so quick cause they have officers leaving in droves. Anne Arundel County, Md got something like 80 laterals just from USCP. Don't let the cash & O/T fool you, its a trap. There's something to be said about being rich and miserable. Moral is at an all time low and the upper cadre, as in the Chief and Deputy Chiefs, could care less. If you can manage it, go down on the hill and talk to the officers and observe what they "actually" do. Think about it for a minute, why doesn't this agency have candidates, as part of the hiring process, interact with its sworn uniformed officers i.e. no ride along or anything that lets you really see the job up close. The only person you have any contact with will be the recruiter and your BI. As for the training, USCP lost it CALEA accredidation because it doesn't do any hands on after you've been sworn in, with the exception of going to the range and even that gets cancelled more times than not. The Sergeants read a segment of the training manual to you at roll call. Didn't mean to rant but sometimes the truth hurts. Some like it, most are starting to hate it, all and all its what you make of it, just be sure you make the right choice.

AACO last lateral class that just started 2 weeks ago only had 3 USCP officers. The next one has no more then 10 going.

We get all kinds of training over here now and mostly hands on stuff. I have heard you guys/gals don't though.

Yes it is was u make of it.

You have a transfer in ? I do
      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Yeah, I have a transfer in

Comment

Originally posted by outofthecorps1 View Post
          Yeah, I have a transfer in

good deal
          Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Ok, I just got the email for the last three appointments (tests).
            How long after the tests do you find out if you passed?

Patriot72

Comment

It takes about a 3 weeks to a month to get an answer back. The size of the envelope will let you know the results before you ever open it. If you've passed the test you'll get a backgroung package booklet with your letter, its about 18 pgs front and back. It sound like alot but compared to the one Fairfax County sends you, its easier to complete.

Comment

Outofthecorps1, are you still referring to USCP with this last post?

Comment

anyone taking the test on Aug 18th?

-Also, what is the first test like? Should I be studying for it or is it a piece of cake?
                  Last edited by mbrigha1; 07-19-2007, 11:02 AM.
                  "Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." -Monsignor

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Veritas Aequitas

Ne cede malis

sigpic

Comment

I have posed this question to some of you all privately, however I wanted to get some input from others as well. For current or former USCP officers, how were you notified of your acceptance into an Academy class? If one was to receive a phone call informing he/she of their congressional approval as a primary candidate for USCP Class _ _ _ to hopfefully begin on __ /__ /____, could this be interpreted as getting the job (heading to FLETC)?? Thanks.

Comment

• JHOO, that was in reference to USCP. As for the phone call that's how I was informed or more so asked if I still want to work for USCP. However, don't go selling the farm when you get the call. The original class/FLETC start date I was given got pushed back 4 months. You'll know when the deal is done when you get a small FEDEX or UPS envelope waiting for you with your Cheltenham report date/attire info. Until THAT envelope arrives everything is up in the air.

Comment

• mbrigha1, the test is easy as long as you managed to graduate from high school and still have some active brain cells. On that note, more than half of the people who take the test fail it. Why, because they don't pay attention to what's being asked. Its simple comprehension, can you read and can you count, there's nothing psychological about any of it. Go to the library or a B. Dalton and thumb through one of those police test books, it will give an idea of what you might see, don't buy the book, unless you want to, the test USCP gives you is no where near as intense as that stuff.

Comment

• How long have you been with the USCP devil dog?

Comment

• Let's see,
                            3/05...took test
                            4/05...got back test results and background package
                            6/05-7-05...BI interview, poly, medical, psych
                            11/05...phone call "do you still want to work for the Capitol Police"?
                            12/05...2nd phone call "sorry, the Jan 23rd class has been cancelled and moved to April.
                            1/9/06...started Prince William County Police Academy
                            3/06...Finally receive paperwork from USCP
                            3/17/06...Resign PWC Acedemy, "what was I thinking?"
                            4/7/06...Go to Cheltenham orientation
                            4/16/06...Start FLETC, Glynco
                            7/10/06...Graduate FLETC
                            7/14/06...Start USCP training Cheltenham, what a joke
                            10/13/06...Graduate, sworn in
                            10/16/06...Start FTO training, House Division
                            11/12/06...Completed FTO, assigned to Senate Division 3rd shift

I'm still on Senate Division, and looking to go some where else.

Comment

• Originally posted by outofthecorps1 View Post
                              mbrigha1, the test is easy as long as you managed to graduate from high school and still have some active brain cells. On that note, more than half of the people who take the test fail it. Why, because they don't pay attention to what's being asked. Its simple comprehension, can you read and can you count, there's nothing psychological about any of it. Go to the library or a B. Dalton and thumb through one of those police test books, it will give an idea of what you might see, don't buy the book, unless you want to, the test USCP gives you is no where near as intense as that stuff.
                              Thanks, takes some of the worry away for me. I think I'll be able to handle it.
                              "Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." -Monsignor

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Veritas Aequitas

Ne cede malis

sigpic

Comment

• Shays screams at Capitol Police officer, later apologies

On Thursday afternoon, Rep. Christopher Shays (R-Conn.) got into a loud, angry dispute with a U.S. Capitol Police officer at the security checkpoint inside the entrance of the West Side of the Capitol. On Friday, Shays, a veteran lawmaker, offered a public apology for the incident and said that he wants to meet with the officer personally to reiterate how sorry he is.

Shays reportedly grabbed the officer during the dispute over whether the officer should allow a group of tourists to enter the building, said several sources. Tourists are not allowed to use the West Front entrance, but Shays was trying to bring the group through that entrance anyway. The officer refused to allow them in, and Shays then "yelled and screamed" at the officer, including using profanity, the sources said.

Update - here's a Capitol Police report on the incident:

"On Thursday, July 19, 2007, a United States Capitol Police officer had an interaction with Congressman Christopher Shays on the West Front of the Capitol wherein the Congressman acted in a manner that was inappropriate.

"The officer took offense to the manner in which the Congressman spoke to him and said that the Congressman also reached out and touched his nametag.

The officer chose to handle the matter by filing a courtesy complaint against the Member. After personally meeting with the officer, Chief of Police Phillip D. Morse, Sr. and Assistant Chief of Police Dan Nichols discussed the matter with Congressman Shays who acknowledged he acted inappropriately in the heat of the moment and took full responsibility for his actions. The Congressman stated his full support and admiration for the officers of the U.S. Capitol Police and offered his apologies.

"Chief Morse fully supports the officer involved in this matter and commends the officer for properly following policy and procedure during this encounter."

The altercation brings to mind a 2006 incident with former Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-Ga.), who struck a Capitol Police officer after he asked her for identification. A complaint was filed by the officer, but no formal charges were ever brought. McKinney failed to win re-election last November.

Here's Shays' statement on the incident:

"Yesterday while trying to locate a family of constituents caught on the West Front of the Capitol during a rain storm, I interacted with a Capitol Police officer in a way I know was not appropriate.

"Although my focus was in trying to locate my constituents and get them to a dry location, I know I clearly could have handled the situation with the officer in a more professional and respectful way, and I regret I did not do so.

"During my 19 years in Congress I have grown to respect and appreciate the difficult mission performed by the men and women of the United States Capitol Police every day. They ensure members of Congress can conduct the people’s business in the safest environment possible while also attending to the needs of the millions of people who visit our nation’s Capitol every year. They deserve all of our respect and admiration and I apologize that even for a few moments my behavior did not reflect my appreciation of that fact.

"When I return to Washington on Monday, I hope to have the opportunity to meet with the officer and apologize to him in person. I take full responsibility for this incident and want to ensure it does not reflect negatively on the officer in any way."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry...apologies.html

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7512 users online. 295 members and 7217 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X