300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job duties not matching 1811 position description

Does anyone have any experience dealing with a situation where an 1811 has been moved into an assignment that is 100% non-1811 work? My agency detailed me to a partner organization but my PD is still a standard 1811 PD (criminal investigations, etc.) My duties are not investigative and I am being forced to essentially be an analyst. I received an email today from my organization basically stating that they know I didn't sign up to be an analyst but it's what is needed for the time being and I will learn something in the process.

I am not an analyst, didn't become an 1811 to be an analyst, the taxpayers aren't paying me as an 1811 with LEAP to be an analyst and to be honest, am not a good analyst. The team I work with are linguists and have years of experience and analytic training. My appraisal comes from non-agents who will be rating me based on my analytic products.

What recourse do I have? Desk audit? Our job descriptions contain "other duties as assigned...." but those are supposed to be a small percentage of our daily work and still mostly inline with our primary duties.

Thanks
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Want some cheese with that whine? You are learning INVESTIGATION and research methods applicable to crime and terrorism. Other duties as assigned...

Did you lose your LE status? No?
    Bitch to your union rep if you feel that you should challenge the plans of your Supervisor.

Comment

• JDFranke
      JDFranke commented
      Editing a comment
      Stop being such a jerk to every single person in here you don't agree with. If you are unable to answer a question with some common decency then don't answer the question at all.

At the bottom of every job announcement is the phrase, "other duties as assigned". It's a catch all phrase that can make you or break you
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Honestly I would say stop bitching. 1811s are jack of all trades by nature and as a previous poster stated we do what our agency tells us to do. Also these kinds of details typically only last 3 years or less at least in my experience so I would say relax and wait it out. In my realm if you keep your head down and do well in these assignments you are typically rewarded. If you act entitled and think the work is below you... lets just say it does not end well...

TDF

Comment

Hey JD, guess you haven’t read all my posts of support to those with GOOD questions. Way to assume, just like others have. So much for being a moderator or fairness.

How about you stop allowing posters to spew conspiracy theories, spam, sexual fantasies, etc?

Comment

WTF agency are you with? By the sound of your ego, sounds like FBI. Grow the F up, police work isn't like all you see in the movies. I think almost every 1811 I know at some point has done work that wasn't advertised in the career day pamphlets. Seriously man, unless your fetching coffee all day, put your big boy pants on

Comment

Dude,

Go with the flow, learn something new and profit from it.

I retired from a very large department that used to contract the services of its managers out to serve as Chiefs of smaller state law enforcement and public safety agencies when they requested that service. Although I was only a Lieutenant, I spent seven years staffing one of those contracts, serving as the Chief of a smaller, specialized, state public safety agency. During those seven years, less than 5% of my time had anything to do with traditional, day to day police work. But during that time I learned all sorts of new (and sometimes bizarre) skills, many of which were relevant to a cops job, but not often called upon, so most cops didn’t know how to do them. When my assignment to that contract was over and I went back to a regular, uniform assignment, many of those skills were useful, I became the keeper of obscure knowledge and was like a one eyed man in the land of the blind. Whenever someone had an operational or administrative need they didn’t know how to handle, they knocked on my door because it was probably something I routinely did when I staffed that oddball contract assignment. Even today in retirement I call upon those skills to help me in my businesses. It has been a win-win.

So, go with it, learn and absorb. You may not be kicking in doors, screaming down the street Code 3 or tossing the hooks on someone, but time as an analyst will always be valuable down the line and having that cross training will help you later in your career. I wish I had been given analyst training. There are many analyst jobs out there on a different pension system than my own that would have allowed me to go back to work if I had the prior qualifications.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

And I get yelled at...

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                And I get yelled at...
                Someone had to do it.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by bigeagle View Post
                  Does anyone have any experience dealing with a situation where an 1811 has been moved into an assignment that is 100% non-1811 work? My agency detailed me to a partner organization but my PD is still a standard 1811 PD (criminal investigations, etc.) My duties are not investigative and I am being forced to essentially be an analyst. I received an email today from my organization basically stating that they know I didn't sign up to be an analyst but it's what is needed for the time being and I will learn something in the process.

I am not an analyst, didn't become an 1811 to be an analyst, the taxpayers aren't paying me as an 1811 with LEAP to be an analyst and to be honest, am not a good analyst. The team I work with are linguists and have years of experience and analytic training. My appraisal comes from non-agents who will be rating me based on my analytic products.

What recourse do I have? Desk audit? Our job descriptions contain "other duties as assigned...." but those are supposed to be a small percentage of our daily work and still mostly inline with our primary duties.

Thanks
                  I put the relevant section of your post in red. Read it again a few more times.

(You should be thankful your org took the time to explain it this way. Mine would have said STFU and do it, or quit.)

You're not Dog The Bounty Hunter, who gets to pick and choose which jobs he does. You're a member of a team. The Team needs you to be an analyst for a while. You can choose to be professional and do your very best, or you can choose to drag your feet and file complaints.

Who do you want to be?
                  Last edited by Curt5811; 10-29-2017, 06:24 PM.
                  You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

He wants to be Fox or Scully. The rest is just an annoyance. Probably got a raid jacket starched and hanging in his closet with an “Operator” patch on it...

Comment

When I was an 1811 I knew of a FBI agent/1811 whose sole job was serving subpoenas in NYC. Not a collateral duty or something he did occasionally for his casework - serving subpoenas was his only job day in and day out.
                      sigpic

Comment

But did he get to wear Royal Robins and a raid jacket..?

Comment

What recourse do I have? Desk audit?
                          I'd be careful about going the desk audit route... those things can and do go sideways.

Smart approach: play the game. Keep your attitude in check and focus on being professional. Who knows- maybe you'll learn some things that'll be helpful down the road...

There is the possibility you're being intentionally marginalized, also known as "shelved". If that's the case, and if forces are beginning to align against you, then perhaps it's time start checking USAJOBS again everyday.

This happens elsewhere, btw. Many 1811s got assigned to protective details last year who don't work for USSS and had other things to do than babysit a stairwell...
                          Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

-Michael Hopf

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                            Bitch to your union rep if you feel that you should challenge the plans of your Supervisor.
                            Union rep for 1811s? Wouldn't that be nice....

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

-Michael Hopf

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3659 users online. 254 members and 3405 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X