300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papering?

What is the deal with papering? My understandig is in DC if you guys make an arrest you have to be in court the next morning? For every arrest? Papering sounds like it would take about a year for most people to loath arresting. Also I heard now that all use of force reports filed by MPD are automaticly reviewed by IA? Is this true?

USCP papers like that
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I don't work in DC but apparently you have to go to the US Attorney the morning after you make an arrest and discuss the case with them before charging. I have heard that it is such a pain in the *** that some cops don't make a lot of arrests because they don't feel like being there at 9AM and waiting after working a midnight.

Comment

No such problem in my neck of the woods.

In California, the detectives look over the arrest report the next morning and do any follow-up that may be necessary. Then they walk the case over to the district attorney for filing.

We have up to 72 hours from the time of arrest (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays) untill their first court appearance, so there's usually more than enough time to get things done.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by P.I.Davis
          What is the deal with papering? My understandig is in DC if you guys make an arrest you have to be in court the next morning? For every arrest? Papering sounds like it would take about a year for most people to loath arresting. Also I heard now that all use of force reports filed by MPD are automaticly reviewed by IA? Is this true?

Most arrests require papering. Pretty much the only ones that don't are warrants or minor traffic type stuff that they can pay out of. And it usually takes less than a year to realize most arrests are more trouble than they're worth.

These days, pretty much everything you do requires a use of force report. If you point your gun in somebody's general direction, you do a UFR. Anytime the guy resists in any way, it's a UFR. Also, anytime you lock up a guy for Assault on a Police Officer, you do a UFR.

Plus, we're on a point system now. Every UFR gives you so many points, and when you hit a certain number, you go on the Early Warning Tracking System downtown. And trust me, it doesn't take that many.

Comment

I have had to paper a case here in DC every police dept. in DC has to go thru the same thing it sucks I never saw anything like it the first time I did it that is why I hate arresting anyone

Comment

Our use of force reports are reviewed not just by IAD, but also by the US attorneys office for possible criminal actions by the officer. We have the right to decline making a statement and wait for the USAO's to issue a declination of prosecution for the officer. After receiving this you must make a statement. By the way, a use of force is now defined as any touching of a person other than 100% compliant handcuffing. If you have to grab a wrist and pull it behind someones back to cuff them that is a UFIR. Take a drunk by the arm to guide them away that is a UFIR. Push back an angry crowd in the projects that is a UFIR. And UFIRs have a point value attached to them. As do discipline, complaints etc... At 100 points you undergo mandatory counseling which can lead to you being fired. Problem is most incidents are worth 25 points. Points count against you while investigations are pending. You can be forced into counseling even before a determination is made on wether you are justified.

Papering stinks too. You can wait for hours for your paperwork to arrive. The USAO have you doing paralegal work. Making copies, punching holes in copies, arranging a folder, walking your folder from station to station, making more copies. The only upside is we won our lawsuit so now it is money not forced comp time. You can make a lot of money by papering.

Comment

True, you can make some cash papering. However, now that papering is paid, they are some tree-boxing bastards down at court laision. You used to be able to milk some time, not anymore.

Also, are you aware you get points for every time you go to the clinic? Is that ridiculous or what?

Substation, what substation are you at?

Comment

papering

question answered
                  "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Hmm

IV applied for DC police. No word yet on the test date. All this sounds crazy to me. Sounds like there spending the tax payer’s money well……..

Originally posted by substation View Post
                    Our use of force reports are reviewed not just by IAD, but also by the US attorneys office for possible criminal actions by the officer. We have the right to decline making a statement and wait for the USAO's to issue a declination of prosecution for the officer. After receiving this you must make a statement. By the way, a use of force is now defined as any touching of a person other than 100% compliant handcuffing. If you have to grab a wrist and pull it behind someones back to cuff them that is a UFIR. Take a drunk by the arm to guide them away that is a UFIR. Push back an angry crowd in the projects that is a UFIR. And UFIRs have a point value attached to them. As do discipline, complaints etc... At 100 points you undergo mandatory counseling which can lead to you being fired. Problem is most incidents are worth 25 points. Points count against you while investigations are pending. You can be forced into counseling even before a determination is made on wether you are justified.

Papering stinks too. You can wait for hours for your paperwork to arrive. The USAO have you doing paralegal work. Making copies, punching holes in copies, arranging a folder, walking your folder from station to station, making more copies. The only upside is we won our lawsuit so now it is money not forced comp time. You can make a lot of money by papering.

Comment

when did you apply? i just recently applied and they mailed me a packet last week. i am scheduled to test this saturday...see you there?

Originally posted by Kenv366 View Post
                      IV applied for DC police. No word yet on the test date. All this sounds crazy to me. Sounds like there spending the tax payer’s money well……..

Comment

Test

I called them.

They told me they sent out a test date, but I never got it. I'm coming from out of state, MN... So she said I could test in September. Let me know how the test went and what it was like. Thanks

Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
                        when did you apply? i just recently applied and they mailed me a packet last week. i am scheduled to test this saturday...see you there?

Comment

from what other people said it sounds easy, and the sample test they give you in the mail is cake.

Originally posted by Kenv366 View Post
                          I called them.

They told me they sent out a test date, but I never got it. I'm coming from out of state, MN... So she said I could test in September. Let me know how the test went and what it was like. Thanks

Comment

Papering

This thread was to get answers as far as papering cases. Thank You Come again
                            "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Lol

LOL Sorry they allways change.

UOTE=DPS55;952754]This thread was to get answers as far as papering cases. Thank You Come again[/QUOTE]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8041 users online. 427 members and 7614 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X