Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VA Police - Montrose, NY & Castle Point, NY

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VA Police - Montrose, NY & Castle Point, NY

    *I will disclaim before I get jumped by anyone in here that I have read all threads I have been able to related to VA Police prior to posting this*

    I am currently a Police Officer in Colorado, and am potentially looking at a move to Upstate New York with the Montrose, NY and Castle Point, NY VA Police. I realize the numerous downsides associated with such a move, but my wife wants to live near her parents which are an hour for the area. My question is:

    Is there anyone here who has worked for or with the agency? Anyone willing to share what their experiences have been, good and bad? I am leaving one of the largest Metro PD's in Colorado for this job, so I will be taking a considerable pay cut, but I am more concerned with the staff, working environment, shifts (4/10 - 5/8's), equipment, moral, etc. with the VA Police in these locations. Again I know In general the issues related to VA Police - Short Academy, No Taser (an issue in my opinion), no 6c retirement, low pay, and hospital cop mentality), but to please the wife I am willing to make many of these concessions.

    Thank you for your time.

    God bless and Semper Fidelis Brothers - Whit

  • #2
    Just realize you will be more a security guard than police officer. The VA cops I know are all good guys, but the agency's upper management frowns on you acting like police officers. Coming from a metro police force will be culture shock for you. Most of the guys I know in the VA are on their 2nd career, having done 20 already and not bothered by the job. BTW, its just as dangerous as you metro police work.

    Personally, I think your giving up alot...but thats me.
    Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

    Comment


    • #3
      It is a big pay cut, the VA Police is the lowest paid Police agency in the NY metro area. That area is also one of the highest cost of living areas. Think long and hard.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the input. I do realize the cost of living vs. salary. The problem / issue I am having is that NY State and PA are not exactly "friendly" to laterals from outside their respective states. I have yet to find an agency in either state who will even help facilitate testing for me, so I dont have to fly back and forth for each segment of the testing (at $600+ a pop). My wife and I are considering the VA Police so that we will be closer to her family - and so I can begin testing for Muni departments in the area, and if I decide that I like the VA, I could just stay there and hopefully make an ok living after having some time in, or potentially move into another area of the federal government.

        Thanks again for your responses.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sled View Post
          It is a big pay cut, the VA Police is the lowest paid Police agency in the NY metro area. That area is also one of the highest cost of living areas. Think long and hard.
          Actually it's in the works to get Federal LEO pay for US VAPD. The job descriptions are being rewritten in order to meet the requirements for 6c retirement and pay.
          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

          "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
            Actually it's in the works to get Federal LEO pay for US VAPD. The job descriptions are being rewritten in order to meet the requirements for 6c retirement and pay.
            Do you have the HR bill on this to track and follow? I don't see this happening as they would have to change the age and many other requirements for the VA.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
              Actually it's in the works to get Federal LEO pay for US VAPD. The job descriptions are being rewritten in order to meet the requirements for 6c retirement and pay.
              I hear that rumor every year, why would this be different than the previous rumors?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by swhittaker2 View Post
                Thanks for the input. I do realize the cost of living vs. salary. The problem / issue I am having is that NY State and PA are not exactly "friendly" to laterals from outside their respective states. I have yet to find an agency in either state who will even help facilitate testing for me, so I dont have to fly back and forth for each segment of the testing (at $600+ a pop). My wife and I are considering the VA Police so that we will be closer to her family - and so I can begin testing for Muni departments in the area, and if I decide that I like the VA, I could just stay there and hopefully make an ok living after having some time in, or potentially move into another area of the federal government.

                Thanks again for your responses.

                What about Connecticut? Ct. is closer to Montrose and Castle Point than Pennsylvannia.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ten08
                  You are looking the wrong way, when I was working for the VA I found out that Places like San Francisco, Palo Alto, Martinez (gon now) paid 22% locality plus they all got step 10. That meant an officer from the east coast was more than doubling his salary with a minimal amout of OT
                  Martinez is still there, it's under the Northern California Veteran Health Care system. The chief of police for Martinez is the same as for Sacramento. Sacramento and Martinez are now under special pay with retention incentive. This comes to about $55,000 for a GS-6 step 1. Martinez had an announcement that started GS-4 at 47,000 to GS-6.
                  GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                  "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sled View Post
                    I hear that rumor every year, why would this be different than the previous rumors?
                    Apparently OS&LE have 6 months to rewrite job requirements and description for GS-0083 or it gets downgraded to GS-0085 by OPM.
                    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So your saying that if they dont rewrite the job requirements within 6 months (starting sometime ago) VA Officers will be downgraded from Police to Security guards?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by swhittaker2 View Post
                        So your saying that if they dont rewrite the job requirements within 6 months (starting sometime ago) VA Officers will be downgraded from Police to Security guards?
                        Right now it's rumor, but rewrites are in the works to better describe the law enforcement aspect. We are no longer to do informational reports, all reports should have some crime associated with it to show investigation time for crimes. The hope is to get US VAPD into the 6c pay and retirement system. For some it doesn't seem like much, but it averages out to about 10k a year increase in pay for all locations.
                        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                        "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ten08
                          That probably makes Martinez the best deal in the country if you can start at $55K. There are plenty of places where you can live affordably like Vacaville or Mare Island
                          Put my ap in, had to mail it. They have it. I already interviewed once with them for the Sacramento site, last I heard I was still in the running for Sacramento, that was last month, no other info since then. All I have to do is transfer from the VA I'm at now to the Sacramento, background, academy and probation are done.
                          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                          "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                            Right now it's rumor, but rewrites are in the works to better describe the law enforcement aspect. We are no longer to do informational reports, all reports should have some crime associated with it to show investigation time for crimes. The hope is to get US VAPD into the 6c pay and retirement system. For some it doesn't seem like much, but it averages out to about 10k a year increase in pay for all locations.

                            That make no sense at all and in way is bumping the crime stats from the VA. Either way, doing a report one way has nothing to do with whether or not the VA police will get 6c retirement/LE pay. Little help for ya. 6c is a term for retirement, which for most federal agencies that utilize this, is mandatory retirement at age 57. That would cut about 80% of the VAPD's force down, give or take a few.

                            Law Enforcement pay, always been a rumor as well, just like it is with the "DOD" police jobs. Is there money for this and will the VA want to do this when their budget is focused on Veterans?

                            You keep spitting out "rumors", but seem not to back it up with nothing else?
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Good luck getting on there its not easy and if you don't have military it'll be pretty much impossible.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 2884 users online. 169 members and 2715 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X