300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visting May 1 & 2

I'm going to be attending a ceremony for k-12 kids at the National Board of Eductation in a couple of weeks. Our daughter is one of the kids being recognized for a piece of art she drew and submitted during the opening ceremony of the exhibit. She will be traveling with other students from our school system and the wife and I will follow so we can watch her ceremony and enjoy some of the sights with her and her schoolmates.

We will come up Sunday morning and go to the National Zoo for awhile and then visit some of the monuments. On Monday, they will have the ceremony and we will come back to Charlotte.

My questions are, what would you recommend as a good place to stay that night? I would rather not drive around DC too much if I can help it. I can, but I'd rather not worry with parking, etc. The kids will be with their chaperones and on a tour bus, so we won't be riding with them and will probably not be parking with or near them.

Also, I plan on carrying but only if I'll be able to enter the zoo and monuments with the kids. If I can't get into one or two of the monuments, it won't be a big deal because the wife can go in with my daughter and the others. However, if I am going to encounter this alot, I'll just leave the duty weapon in the car to avoid the waiting I'll have ahead of me on this trip.

At this point, I am assuming that the ceremony will be inside the Board of Education building and I am assuming that since it is a federally owned building, that I should not plan on carrying there.

I searched the forums before posting but I couldn't find any one thread that answered these questions specifically. Thanks for your help.
    "...Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

1) Dont leave your weapon in the car!!! Theft from autos are ridiculously high in DC. Bums will break in just for pocket change.
    2) As for where you can/cant carry:
    - You'll be ok in the zoo and around the monuments.
    - You'll be ok in the museums. Just let security know when you enter, show your credentials, sign a log book, and you're good to go. (I havent had a problem at any Smithsonian museum, the Holocaust museum, or the Newseum...)
    - Federal Gov't Buildings should have lockboxes for you. I'd call ahead and check with the ones you plan on going to ahead of time just to make sure.

As for a place to stay... Depends on your price range, how nice of a place you want, and how close to the city you want to be... If you dont want to be IN the city, then you can look at Arlington and Alexandria, Virginia. If you dont want to drive as much, look for places close to the metro that you can metro into the city on. If you need info on where metro stops are, check out www.wmata.com

Comment

Don't leave your weapon in the car ever.

Comment

BigRed, thanks for the info. They have changed the hotel on us so we will be in Chantilly now, so I may be driving around anyway. I didn't want to keep the gun in our car but we will check out before we leave that morning and won't have a safe accessible. With no other options, that was going to be my only choice. I should probably go ahead and install a lock box in her car now anyway. We won't be taking my truck, which has one. We have a big problem with LFA's here, too.
        "...Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Comment

A little late in the game and surely you will have post-visit notations to share.

If you have your credentials, you should be set. For the Zoo, there are no checkpoints/mags to pass through and the National Zoo cops have always been upstanding towards other cops. As for other locations such as the Smithsonian, when you get to the checkpoint just stop short and get the attention of one of their security folks working the mag. You need to show your credentials and sign the log.

Other locations tend to be inline and should pose no issues, though LEOSA does not cover federal facilities, in most cases you will just need to advise the cops/security working the door. As already noted, DO NOT leave your firearm in your vehicle. Even with a secured lockbox this can be a crap shoot, though they offer a degree of protection above tucking it under the front mat. Hotel “safes” are not much better but offer some degree of protection.

White House is a no-go with a firearm
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6283 users online. 343 members and 5940 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X