300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mike _johns44 View Post
    Anyone have any advice as to when I should let my current employer know I'm leaving? I don't foresee failing the medical, but I'd rather quit knowing that I passed. Unfortunately, my medical and start date are very close together and it would mean giving less than a week notice if I did wait. Anyone else in a similar situation?
    I'm in the same boat, I was scheduled to have my physical this past Monday but they didn't realize I had to have it done in DC? So now I'm scheduled for this Friday the 10th start date the 20th, so I already put in my two weeks on blind faith.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfan View Post
      I'm in the same boat, I was scheduled to have my physical this past Monday but they didn't realize I had to have it done in DC? So now I'm scheduled for this Friday the 10th start date the 20th, so I already put in my two weeks on blind faith.
      Debating whether to do the same..good luck on the medical...any feedback you can provide after you finish it on Friday would be very much appreciated!!!

Comment

• You probably already know this but,they are not federal employees. They work for the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, the proper name for Amtrak. It is a railroad and its employees come under the same rules, regulations, and retirement plans as any other railroad. Amtrak is federal and state funded, and in some cases even locally funded. If your plan is to try to use AMTRAK as a springboard to a federal agency. just remember that with the exception of attending FLETC, you will not have anything over anyone else. You will not be able to even apply for openings restricted to career staus federal employees. And, you will not be building time toward a federal retirement. AMTRAK is a first rate agency. But, as a retired federal LEO myself, you should go in with your eyes wide open.

Comment

• Originally posted by highthree View Post
          You probably already know this but,they are not federal employees. They work for the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, the proper name for Amtrak. It is a railroad and its employees come under the same rules, regulations, and retirement plans as any other railroad. Amtrak is federal and state funded, and in some cases even locally funded. If your plan is to try to use AMTRAK as a springboard to a federal agency. just remember that with the exception of attending FLETC, you will not have anything over anyone else. You will not be able to even apply for openings restricted to career staus federal employees. And, you will not be building time toward a federal retirement. AMTRAK is a first rate agency. But, as a retired federal LEO myself, you should go in with your eyes wide open.
          Yes and no.. They do get federal computer id cards like most federal employees (and yes they work for NRPC and have no status) but Amtrak is a federal corporation the same as the USPS. Amtrak's funding is 98% federal. State and local funding (such as California, Illinois and PA) are at the request of running certain services at the state level.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Debating whether to do the same..good luck on the medical...any feedback you can provide after you finish it on Friday would be very much appreciated!!!
            Yeah I'll let you guys know.

Comment

Yeah I'll let you guys know.
              Awesome, thanks! Good luck tomorrow...last step!!!!

Comment

• Federal or not, Amtrak operates in 46 states, making their police department somewhat federal (maybe not in theory). I see them more "federal" than, say, US Capitol Police that mainly operates in Washington, DC. I also see them more "federal" than US Park Police (they operate mainly in four states, yet are definitely a federal law enforcement agency, and one of the oldest). To me, it doesn't matter if Amtrak PD is recognized as a federal law enforcement agency. It looks like such label is debatable as others are saying it is semi federal or quasi federal. On the other hand, the Wikipedia entry labels it as a federal agency in its jurisdictional structure tab. But it is not listed on the golawenforcement.com site as a federal agency (the closest thing listed is U.S. Railroad Retirement Board, Office of Inspector General). I'm leaning more towards the fact that it is not a federal agency, it is just a railroad police agency, however big they might be jurisdictionwise. I like the fact that you're trained at FLETC just like most federal agencies -- with the exception of the FBI. Most importantly, it seems like a good organization to work for.
                Last edited by tinoboy10; 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks! Good luck tomorrow...last step!!!!
                  Alright, it was a simple DOT exam as mentioned above. Nurse runs the gauntlet of a Drug screen, blood pressure, height, weight, ekg, hearing test in a sound proof booth ( keep your phone off vibrate, leave it completely silent; somebody texted me and almost screwed me up), vision, both distance (like DMV) and also color blindness which was a bunch of circles and u have to read the numbers that are a different color within the colored circle. The doctor then did the same physical you would receive to get the green light for high school football. Cough, balance on your heels, deep breath etc Hope it helps and good luck.

Comment

• Finally, it looks like Union Station in DC has police officer positions as of 5/9. I just applied but like so many in this forum, I'm aware the wait will be long. I had previously applied for the New Orleans division just last week but obviously DC was my preference. If anyone has applied for this latest announcement, please let us know on here and maybe we can start a discussion on here about how things are going.
                    Last edited by tinoboy10; 05-11-2013, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Alright, it was a simple DOT exam as mentioned above. Nurse runs the gauntlet of a Drug screen, blood pressure, height, weight, ekg, hearing test in a sound proof booth ( keep your phone off vibrate, leave it completely silent; somebody texted me and almost screwed me up), vision, both distance (like DMV) and also color blindness which was a bunch of circles and u have to read the numbers that are a different color within the colored circle. The doctor then did the same physical you would receive to get the green light for high school football. Cough, balance on your heels, deep breath etc Hope it helps and good luck.
                      Viking, thanks for the helpful information! Hopefully everything went well with your med and you'll find out in a few days the final word...good luck!!!

Comment

But you will say the psychical pretty easy I put my two weeks in and I'm kinda going on blind faith because my start is close to medical

Comment

Viking, thanks for the helpful information! Hopefully everything went well with your med and you'll find out in a few days the final word...good luck!!!
                          Hey mike when do you take medical

Comment

• I heard you medical clear pretty quick like the same day is that true

Comment

• Originally posted by policeman9111 View Post
                              Hey mike when do you take medical
                              Hey policeman...I take my medical a week from today. I was told that the medical takes about 3-5 days to clear (I'm assuming since they probably have to send out the drug test to a lab). I was supposed to start the end of this month, but I called and pushed my start date back a week since I don't want to quit my job before knowing that I pass the medical. Plus, my results would have come back the day before I was supposed to start since it's right after memorial day weekend. I'm not worried about it, but I''m just playing things safe and didn't want to put my notice in too soon. When is your medical/start date?

Comment

• Originally posted by policeman9111 View Post
                                I heard you medical clear pretty quick like the same day is that true
                                Technically no, because the drug urine specimen has to go to a lab, however the other stuff is pretty straight forward on whether or not you passed. The doctor told me "everything looks fine, your in good health, and good luck." So, yeah you'll probably know on the first day, since you're the first one to know whether or not you will fail the drug test.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6439 users online. 357 members and 6082 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X