• Show
Clear All

• tinoboy10
    replied
    Many thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Im going to break up your question again.

Originally posted by tinoboy10
    Do Amtrak officers routinely ride trains from one location to another as part of having a police presence with travelers? We've all seen the media pictures of police dogs with their handlers in trains but I wasn't sure if this was before leaving a station or if the train was in motion.
    Yes, Amtrak police officers ride trains. Mainly on the NE Corridor and a few other places. NOLA UPT they do not ride the trains.

Indeed, I've noticed that a lot of the fleet vehicles consists of SUVs and it has been hard to spot a Crown Victoria or other non-SUV cars (although I've seen some Chargers).
    They are nice and show but they chargers very rarely get driven. They do have some CVPI's in the inventory but as the lease ends from GSA, they will be returned. Some apd vehicles have state issued municpal plates on them.

Is Amtrak PD the best place to be if you want to be a transit cop, or are other companies better (CSX Police, BNSF, other regional transit agencies, etc.)? Is a railroad law enforcement officer seen as somewhat inferior compared to a local police officer or deputy Sheriff due to the type of jurisdiction they have and work they do?
    Transit policing at the local level and railroad policing are 2 different animals. Most transit cops will ride on buses, subways etc. as apart of their routine duties or even responding via patrol car to calls. Amtrak very rarely does that outside of the NE Corridor,Chicago and some California areas. Working for amtrak (or federally for that matter) is much different than being a municipal police officer or deputy sheriff. Amtrak doesnt respond to calls for service unless it comes from the dispatch.

The other RR police have a much different job than most amtrak cops as they generally are not stuck in one area all day unless they are assigned yard patrol duties.

You stated that a lot of people use the agency as a stepping stone, get a state certification and, presumably, go elsewhere, maybe a city or county police agency. Well, can the same be said if you get a federal certification through Amtrak and then want to join another federal law enforcement agency? In other words, will the FLETC cert. you get be valid when applying for a position with, say, the DEA, ATF, Secret Service Uniformed Division, etc.? Or do those agencies resend you to Glynco to retrain? I have no plans to transfer to a local PD or federal agency, for the record.
    It depends. Your federal certification is good if you decide to become an 0083 series police officer with a federal agency. It also depends if the other agency doesnt want to send you back to training. As far as the state cert, it would allow you to apply to municipal agencies in the area.

Finally (for now), in your opinion, if one has the choice, which one is better, a federal law enforcement certification or a state-issued one? It seems like Amtrak officers have one or the other. Which one would be a smarter choice if an applicant has the option to choose?
    Well it depends on where they send you to the academy. If you go to FLETC you'll get good training. If they send you to a state academy, you'll get good training.You dont get a choice as they'll pick which ever academy has an opening first unless the state rules are different (in NOLA UPT they will send you to FLETC).

If indeed you worked for Amtrak PD, do you care to share an honest opinion about being a police officer with that department?
    I saved this for last. APD is like any other non traditional police agency. Its not a bad agency, it has it's f'ups and crap bosses. It also has alot of good folks. Just understand that you wont be doing traffic, making arrests on a daily basis etc...

Leave a comment:

• mike _johns44
    replied
    Anyone have any advice as to when I should let my current employer know I'm leaving? I don't foresee failing the medical, but I'd rather quit knowing that I passed. Unfortunately, my medical and start date are very close together and it would mean giving less than a week notice if I did wait. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Leave a comment:

• mike _johns44
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfan View Post
    Anyone receive the packet yet? It states the starting pay as 23.053 not 21.50, is this after the academy?
    Got my packet...said the same thing. I believe that's the starting pay from day one.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfan
    replied
    Anyone receive the packet yet? It states the starting pay as 23.053 not 21.50, is this after the academy?

Leave a comment:

• tinoboy10
    replied
    Orlandofed, thanks a lot for your detailed answers to each of my questions. I believe earlier in this forum you stated you used to work for Amtrak PD (or it was somehow suggested -- maybe it was somebody else)...
    Assuming you did, I have more questions as long as you're willing to answer: Do Amtrak officers routinely ride trains from one location to another as part of having a police presence with travelers? We've all seen the media pictures of police dogs with their handlers in trains but I wasn't sure if this was before leaving a station or if the train was in motion.
    Indeed, I've noticed that a lot of the fleet vehicles consists of SUVs and it has been hard to spot a Crown Victoria or other non-SUV cars (although I've seen some Chargers).
    If indeed you worked for Amtrak PD, do you care to share an honest opinion about being a police officer with that department? Is Amtrak PD the best place to be if you want to be a transit cop, or are other companies better (CSX Police, BNSF, other regional transit agencies, etc.)? Is a railroad law enforcement officer seen as somewhat inferior compared to a local police officer or deputy Sheriff due to the type of jurisdiction they have and work they do?
    You stated that a lot of people use the agency as a stepping stone, get a state certification and, presumably, go elsewhere, maybe a city or county police agency. Well, can the same be said if you get a federal certification through Amtrak and then want to join another federal law enforcement agency? In other words, will the FLETC cert. you get be valid when applying for a position with, say, the DEA, ATF, Secret Service Uniformed Division, etc.? Or do those agencies resend you to Glynco to retrain? I have no plans to transfer to a local PD or federal agency, for the record.
    Finally (for now), in your opinion, if one has the choice, which one is better, a federal law enforcement certification or a state-issued one? It seems like Amtrak officers have one or the other. Which one would be a smarter choice if an applicant has the option to choose?

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Im going to break up your post into several quotes.

is Amtrak PD considered a federal law enforcement agency since its jurisdiction extend to 46 states and its parent company is federally funded?
    Amtrak is a government corporation. Its stock is all owned by the US Government.

Also, it is not clear to me how new hires go through training. If you're hired and have NO prior police training, do they send you to Glynco (FLETC) or do they put you in a state-owned or regional police academy (i.e. State Police)? If you have a state-issued police certification (as opposed to FLETC cert.), does that limit you to the state where you got it from?
    It depends upon where you live. Most amtrak cops attend FLETC as Amtrak is a partner agency with them. Some states require that RR police officers who live in that state to attend a state academy (IE NY). If you're a state certified police officer in Louisana, then you would not have to attend FLETC but get federal training. As far as being limited to the state, no RR police officers have the authority under federal law to cross state laws and operate as police officers for the railroad.

The rail road police certifications people are talking about, what are they? Do you get them on your own without Amtrak's help or they sponsor you and help you get them? Are they easy to obtain?
    RR police certification is generally a state thing for commissioning. If they state you're hired in requires it, then amtrak will get it for you. They generally are a review of your police training and a quick background investigation.

Finally: what type of jurisdiction do officers with Amtrak have? Obviously, I know it would be rail roads and right of ways and trains and stations. But do they do a lot of in-cars patrols on other routes as I imagine it must be hard to drive a vehicle along the railroad. What is appealing about this job?Although I've applied, I sometimes fear it might be boring since it's security-focused for the most part. Do they run radar, pull over speeders on a city streets? Hope to hear one of you guys.
    Most young folks use the job as a stepping stone to get a state certification. Most amtrak police vehicles are SUV's which can run along the right of ways with no problems. In NOLA UPT, the majority of the time you'll be on patrol on Amtrak property. While its not uncommon for Amtrak cops to do car stops, its frowned upon to do traffic and no amtrak vehicle is equipped with any speed measuring device.

Leave a comment:

• tinoboy10
    replied
    Wow, I had no idea the process was that long (appears to be longer than some local PDs). Last week, I submitted my application for the New Orleans station. I guess I expect a long road. Nice reading all of you on here, it gave me some insights into what to expect. I do have some questions: is Amtrak PD considered a federal law enforcement agency since its jurisdiction extend to 46 states and its parent company is federally funded? Also, it is not clear to me how new hires go through training. If you're hired and have NO prior police training, do they send you to Glynco (FLETC) or do they put you in a state-owned or regional police academy (i.e. State Police)? If you have a state-issued police certification (as opposed to FLETC cert.), does that limit you to the state where you got it from? The rail road police certifications people are talking about, what are they? Do you get them on your own without Amtrak's help or they sponsor you and help you get them? Are they easy to obtain? Finally: what type of jurisdiction do officers with Amtrak have? Obviously, I know it would be rail roads and right of ways and trains and stations. But do they do a lot of in-cars patrols on other routes as I imagine it must be hard to drive a vehicle along the railroad. What is appealing about this job?Although I've applied, I sometimes fear it might be boring since it's security-focused for the most part. Do they run radar, pull over speeders on a city streets? Hope to hear one of you guys.
    Last edited by tinoboy10; 05-07-2013, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mike _johns44
    replied
    Originally posted by policeman9111 View Post
    Ok cool so nothing to hard
    I'm scheduled for a medical in two weeks and a start date in three weeks.

Leave a comment:

• policeman9111
    replied
    Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Its a standard physical but you need to be able to distinguish between red and green because of the signals along the track system.
    Ok cool so nothing to hard

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Its a standard physical but you need to be able to distinguish between red and green because of the signals along the track system.

Leave a comment:

• policeman9111
    replied
    If you can not distinguish between red/green in your eyesight, you will fail the medical.
    How is the medical and what do you do is the standard really high

Leave a comment:

• policeman9111
    replied
    If you can not distinguish between red/green in your eyesight, you will fail the medical.
    Like they show you pic and ask you the colors

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mike _johns44
    replied
    Originally posted by policeman9111 View Post
    Nothing yet
    Ok..let me know if you hear anything.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6462 users online. 351 members and 6111 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X