Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody in nyc want to meet up and work out? Practice for peb.

Comment

• Anyone attend the hiring event yet?

Comment

• Park police is now hiring continuously: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/661902300 no longer need to wait for a announcement to pop up.

Comment

• Does anyone know how the Park Police job posting works? It says it closes on 6/14/2023. Will they reach out to people before then? If not, that's a long time to wait before starting the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilDoc1028 View Post
            Does anyone know how the Park Police job posting works? It says it closes on 6/14/2023. Will they reach out to people before then? If not, that's a long time to wait before starting the process.
            They will reach you out soon. It just means that they will be hiring people through out the year. Just like Capitol police and secret service uniformed division.

Comment

• How long after you apply do you normally hear back? Applied mid July and haven’t heard anything.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                Winter_Patriot commented
                Editing a comment
                About six weeks when i applied in 2020. I was in the second wave of applicants to get invited for PEB and POST. First wave heard back in about a month.

• Originally posted by howardo View Post
              How long after you apply do you normally hear back? Applied mid July and haven’t heard anything.
              I applied as well and have not heard anything. They might be changing the whole hiring process in the way they do things. If it means they would move to electronic system instead of a bunch of papers even better. Just saying since this is the first time they ever do a continuous announcement. So they could be changing the process to make it easier for the applicant and them.

Comment

• howardo
                howardo commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah makes sense, so cause its a new process and they are making adjustments it may be a longer than normal to hear back?

• So, the word from USPP is that they are currently looking to have folks complete the written, PEB, and background interview/document review in September and October. They are also hoping to do panel interviews in early November.
              Last edited by Forester87; 08-09-2022, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• howardo
                howardo commented
                Editing a comment
                So expect to hear soon if you applied?

• Forester87
                Forester87 commented
                Editing a comment
                howardo

Hopefully. Not everything goes according to plan in the federal government. USPP is a small part of the NPS, but I've had good experiences with them in the past.

• USPP has started sending out invitations to test at all three locations.

Comment

• Got Invite to test today.

Comment

• Glad to see people applying. Park Police is a great agency. Opportunity to do some really good police work. Guns, drugs, armed carjackings etc. Its not your typical park police job. And it’s the only Federal uniformed LE job that does traditional police work. Really good schedule for family. You will have city policing and highway work depending on your district. Currently only 1 district has foot beats which is split between patrol every other day. Cons are with the change in policing nationwide you will run into your fair share of lazy cops or cops that never did police work and are pretty unreliable. Our current management is not too knowledgeable at this time either. Another con is working under national park service.

They don’t care for LE so park police is terribly underfunded. Radios don’t work well so officers and dispatch have trouble communicating with each other. They recently got laptops after having to patrol without them for about 2 years. Body cameras for DC were supposed to be in use by January 1st of this year. No one knows when they will be ready for operational use. Senior officers had their take home cars taken away because the department claimed they had no money to pay for the gas. Any program the park police use is not user friendly such as report writing, evidence process etc. Overall pros outweigh the cons. So you can come here and have a great career. Or be like most of the other applicants. Get the job and use it as a stepping stone to be an 1811 criminal investigator. Everyone I know that applies for ATF, DEA, FBI, HSI etc always gets it.
                  Last edited by Cobra2591; 08-16-2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Anthropologist
                    Anthropologist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Which district has foot beats?

• FWD1987
                    FWD1987 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    D1-Washington DC

• District one has foot beats. That’s the district that patrols the national icons. Don’t let it deter you. During your 3 and 4 day work week you will be in a car half the time and the other days on foot. And lately since we had been hiring non motivated officers you can easily find an officer assigned to patrol to switch with you and he/she will gladly take a foot beat while you can get a car. Since it looks like we will be hiring a lot you can probably get out of District 1 relatively quick. We just had a rookie that was able to bypass district one and go to an outside district because there were plenty of lazy senior officers that wanted to stay downtown and work their foot beats instead of answering radio runs in a car. We actually are so short we been having a few get lucky and be able to go right to NY or SF right out the academy.

Comment

• Anthropologist
                    Anthropologist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's generally a minimum of three years until new USPP patrol officers can apply to a specialty unit, correct?

• Anthropologist
                    Anthropologist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BTW, the NYC officers don't really have that much to do most of the time, right? Haha

• Anthropologist
                    Anthropologist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It might be interesting to work as an EMT for USPP.
                    Last edited by Anthropologist; 08-16-2022, 07:15 PM.

• Cobra2591
                    Cobra2591 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yea get your emt certification. I see people get it on their own and then apply to be a rescue technician on our helicopter. It gives you a heads up on people and they will pick you over someone who is not an emt. The Eagle is a full service medivac helicopter.

• Yes three years experience until you can apply for specialized. Because park police has been a revolving door with retirements and people going to 1811, I have seen people make horse mounted patrol, and plain clothes in District 1 with the minimum of 3 years. Though district 1 plain clothes might not be considered specialized. NY field office is mostly security related work. Yes they have patrol but that take a long time to get up there and from what I’ve seen they don’t have motivated people on patrol up there. If you are from NY you know it’s the NYPD’s city and they will take over everything. Even our properties up there where we share concurrent jurisdiction with them. If you want to be with family go to NY. If you want to enjoy your job stay in DC. Not to rant but you will find yourself surrounded more and more by unmotivated officers. So in this climate it might be best to make the money, go specialized or make promotion fast.
                  Last edited by Cobra2591; 08-17-2022, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Anthropologist
                    Anthropologist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had heard that about NYC from one of the USPP officers I met back in 2021.

• Anthropologist
                    Anthropologist commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You keep mentioning unmotivated officers. Honestly, that doesn't do much to sell the agency. Does USPP partner its officers up when they're doing patrol duties? I'm guessing not since there aren't that many officers.

• Cobra2591
                    Cobra2591 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Having unmotivated officers is not just a park police thing. We work closely with MPDC and other agencies. There are officers just not doing much proactive policing as before. It’s due to the current climate, lazy officers using the current climate as an excuse and my personal opinion the new generation of cop. We still have people that work and make good cases. But where as you had a squad of 5-6 officers all doing proactive policing you probably have 2-3 officers from a squad of 6 being proactive and the rest watching Netflix. And yes the city police are doing same.

The agency doesn’t handcuff you from doing work. You can still chase after people committing armed robberies, shootings, and armed carjacking etc. Any of you guys applying to MPDC should ask your buddies that work there if they are allowed to go after said crimes. Even if they witness those violent acts their officials make them let them go. And to your question we don’t have partners. No agency does here. The few times you see MPDC doing it is because they are down patrol vehicles. . If you want to work 2 man on some shifts when there is enough personnel it’s up to sgt discretion.

• Originally posted by Cobra2591 View Post
                  Yes three years experience until you can apply for specialized. Because park police has been a revolving door with retirements and people going to 1811, I have seen people make horse mounted patrol, and plain clothes in District 1 with the minimum of 3 years. Though district 1 plain clothes might not be considered specialized. NY field office is mostly security related work. Yes they have patrol but that take a long time to get up there and from what I’ve seen they don’t have motivated people on patrol up there. If you are from NY you know it’s the NYPD’s city and they will take over everything. Even our properties up there where we share concurrent jurisdiction with then. If you want to be with family go to NY. If you want to enjoy your job stay in DC. Not to rant but you will find yourself surrounded more and more by unmotivated officers. So in this climate it might be best to make the money, go specialized or make promotion fast.
                  Plain clothes work sounds dope, I didn’t even knew they had that unit. I’m on NYC but I’m really considering maybe moving to DC if I get an offer for this job. Now I don’t know if I’ll be able to survive alone on that salary in DC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bidstar View Post

Plain clothes work sounds dope, I didn’t even knew they had that unit. I’m on NYC but I’m really considering maybe moving to DC if I get an offer for this job. Now I don’t know if I’ll be able to survive alone on that salary in DC.
                    You'll be fine in the DC area if you live within your means. It's expensive, but I lived there on less than USPP pay.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3161 users online. 215 members and 2946 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X