Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPSO's (Justice Protection Security Officers) are well paid security guards (note security guards) that work for DOJ. They protect main Justice and approximately 12 other buildings in the NVA/DC/MD area. Starting pay was around 26 bucks an hour the last time I checked. You also get an extra 3.25 an hour (I think) for health and welfare.....aka what you use to pay for health insurance as they do not provide that for you......

Wackenhut (for now) is the primary contractor. If you want to apply, you have to apply through them. Once hired, you go through training then are put on post......

One must have 3 years Military Police (Army/Navy/AF/Marine/USCG) or 3 years civilian police experience to get hired on. You MUST have that experience.....no exceptions due to US Marshal policy in regards to Special Deputy US Marshal Deputation...... You must also be eligible for a Secret Clearance. Once again, no exceptions on that based on where you work and what you might get into......

Very, very boring job.....lots of access control and static points especially when you first get hired on as you will be at Main Justice Building for a good 6 months to a year (at least) before you can try to find an opening at an outer building. The outer buildings assignments are passed out based on seniority and are highly desired.

If something comes up, you may/may not make an arrest and 99.9% of what you do gets turned over to a DOJ Inspector.....who will usually crap can it or turn it over to FPS/MPD/Metro Transit or one of the other fine agencies in DC because DOJ doesn't like folks arresting folks......

Great job for folks that are retired and/or guys/gals coming out of the military in the DC area that are holding tight for a Fed job. We had guys/gals going to US Cap, USSS-UD, FAMS, USPP, plus area agencies like MPD and Metro Transit (Subway/Bus Cops).

Just ask if you have any questions......
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

thanks, sounds like a decent job
      I swear down bruv I never touched your motor !!

can you tell me why your sitting in the drivers seat then ?

Comment

Originally posted by NYCardinal85 View Post
        I'm not trying to play the "real police vs. fake police" argument in here. Apologies to those that feel offended, I should have worded it better.

What I meant was more proactive vs. reactive policing, which I'd think this "friend" would want more proactive if he's seeking to become an 1811 agent. I have plenty of respect for Capitol/FBI/DOA/etc. but their job MAINLY consists of standing post/working magnetometers/waiting to react in the event something bad happens. While those things all have their place in law enforcement/force protection, they probably won't help him attain his 1811 slot nearly as much as going and becoming a traditional street cop.
        Although I understand what you were trying to say, below is an excerpt from the Unit Citation I wrote in 2005 when I was a supervisor on Capitol's Patrol/Mobile Response Division, Midnight shift for 2004.

"For the 2004 calendar year, the Department had 2,093 arrests. PMRD-1, which has twenty-two officers and four officials, was responsible for 1,034 of those or 49.4%. Of those there were five hundred ten (510) alcohol arrests, three hundred two (302) No Valid Permit arrests, thirty (30) UUV arrests, sixty-seven (67) drug arrests, fifty (50) arrests for warrants and twenty-one (21) arrests for firearms violations. There were also eleven juveniles arrested by the section for various offenses.

Also during the year, PMRD-1's prisoner processors assisted outside agencies. MPD, U.S. Secret Service, FBI Police, U.S. Treasury were some of the agencies assisted a total of three hundred thirteen (313) times throughout the year."

We were very busy that year. Though they aren't as busy now as they used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by trojan690 View Post
          thanks, sounds like a decent job
          If you are seriously considering the JPSO position at DOJ and want to to expand your search or don't quite qualify, you can check out a similiar contract just down Constitution a few blocks at the State Department. Last I was out that way, the company on the contract was Inter-Con Security, not sure if that's changed...

There are some differences...a little less money than the JPSO guys make, and you're a SPO instead of being Deputized.

Just a thought...and some of the info may be a bit out of date

Comment

Originally posted by _XD_ View Post
            Your post
            There are a ton of Security jobs in the DC/NVA/MD area that start off at 22 bucks and hour and up....

It just depends on your background and what the contract requires...... WSI (Wackenhut) has a ton of contracts. You may not quailify for a JPSO.....but you can probabaly get on with a SPO job at the Holocaust and other places they have Guards at......

Comment

USPP is basically the State Police of the Capital region. I know that statement isn't 100% accurate but it does make a lot of sense.

Air, Marine, Vice, Narc, Highway Patrol, Mounted, etc....great department with strange/outdated name that confuses people.

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
              As far as USPP goes, EVERYONE starts out in D-1. Which is still a patrol station.. They do have the most foot beats on the job, and they do involve security type work, but you rotate foot beats and cruiser assignments in the downtown area. So, even though you are new, and assigned to the Mall and downtown area, there is still an opportunity to go out in your first year or 2 and do "real police work"...

After a year or so, you can transfer to another station where you will be in a cruiser everyday or almost everyday.

Once again the USPP is the top of the game in Federal Uniformed LE.... We have SWAT, Motors, K-9, CIB, Aviation, Traffic Safety, Horses, A Marine Unit, CDU units , Bike Patrol, we do RADAR, LASER, Crash Reconstruction, Narcotics, etc.

like I saiw a GREAT job.

www.nps.gov/uspp

www.uspppressroom.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
                USPP is basically the State Police of the Capital region. I know that statement isn't 100% accurate but it does make a lot of sense.

Air, Marine, Vice, Narc, Highway Patrol, Mounted, etc....great department with strange/outdated name that confuses people.
                Uhmm, I don't think "State Police of the National Capitol Region" is a horribly misleading description of the United States Park Police. Why is the name confusing or misleading?

Just like many state and county "Park Police" agencies they are responsible for areas under the control of their respective parent agency ... in the case of USPP, that would be the National Park Service and ultimately the Department of the Interior.

The USPP are responsible for the parks and grounds under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, which does include multiple Parkways (which were not originally designed to be the major commuter routes they have become) ... thus their name is quite descriptive for the agency ... most USPP people would probably prefer it over National Park Service Police or Department of the Interior Police.

By calling them the NCR State Police you are being extremely misleading... all State Police agencies work for the Chief Executive of their respective governmental jurisdiction ... which the USPP do not, as they are under the NPR/DOI direction.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

I totally understand you points and agree...I was making a generalization about their mission. Their mission is very similar to a full service State Police or large city department in terms of variety of assignments. (Patrol, Vice, Narc, Mounted, Air, Marine, etc)

If you are not from the DC metro area most people don't know USPP or their mission. People don't understand all the federal land in the DC area and can't comprehend why the US Park Police even has a highway patrol unit/etc. I grew up in eastern PA and never heard of USPP until I was at FLETC and same with many of my classmates.

I have some friends at USPP (who love it) and even some of their relative think they are Park Rangers. That is what I meant by the name is misleading to some people, many don't consider DC to be a national "park" compared to something like Yellowstone/Denali/etc

Originally posted by DCPSDcop View Post
                  Uhmm, I don't think "State Police of the National Capitol Region" is a horribly misleading description of the United States Park Police. Why is the name confusing or misleading?

Just like many state and county "Park Police" agencies they are responsible for areas under the control of their respective parent agency ... in the case of USPP, that would be the National Park Service and ultimately the Department of the Interior.

The USPP are responsible for the parks and grounds under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, which does include multiple Parkways (which were not originally designed to be the major commuter routes they have become) ... thus their name is quite descriptive for the agency ... most USPP people would probably prefer it over National Park Service Police or Department of the Interior Police.

By calling them the NCR State Police you are being extremely misleading... all State Police agencies work for the Chief Executive of their respective governmental jurisdiction ... which the USPP do not, as they are under the NPR/DOI direction.
                  Last edited by UD4LIFE; 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2777 users online. 173 members and 2604 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X