Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nasa808
    replied
    Thanks for the replies everyone.. My friend ( as anyone who actually knows me, is aware that I am already OTJ ) was made aware of this thread and is now actually interestED in the USPP.
    Last edited by nasa808; 11-08-2009, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    If you are looking for "proactive" 1811, is really not for him. Most 1811 postions, except for a few on task forces are totally reactive.

They sit in an office and wait for a state or local officer to bring them a case, and then they work it.

As far as ATF goes, they wait for a street cop to bring them a felon with a gun case, and then they go out and do all the follow up. ICC tracking, ppw from the gun shops, copies of orignal record of conviction. It's a lot of leg work for the AUSA to prep the case.

I have a buddy with the FBI, and he has been on for 15 years or so, he has made less than a dozen arrests.

His most interesting case..... The interstate shipment of stolen bicycle parts..... Not motorcycles, bicycles..... I tell you this not to insult him or the bureau, but to point out, this is not CSI, 24, Law and order, or NCIS, this is the reality of most 1811 work. Boring drudge work, not running and gunning 24/7.

If you want to run and gun, become a street cop, in a city, where there are not a lot of calls for service to tie you up, that leaves you a lot of time to go out and find criminals. Some call it "clean police work", That is the reason I like USPP so much, plenty of time to be a proactive cop.

good luck

Leave a comment:

• NYCardinal85
    replied
    I'm not trying to play the "real police vs. fake police" argument in here. Apologies to those that feel offended, I should have worded it better.

What I meant was more proactive vs. reactive policing, which I'd think this "friend" would want more proactive if he's seeking to become an 1811 agent. I have plenty of respect for Capitol/FBI/DOA/etc. but their job MAINLY consists of standing post/working magnetometers/waiting to react in the event something bad happens. While those things all have their place in law enforcement/force protection, they probably won't help him attain his 1811 slot nearly as much as going and becoming a traditional street cop.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    But how many 0083 police officers actually move from agencies such as Mint, BEP, DoN, DA, VA etc? The VA is the largest federal police force nationwide and Id say about maybe a thrid can qualify for 1811 jobs (under the 6c retirement). USPP, USSS-UD and USCP maybe represent a third of all 0083 police officers nationwide and are already in the 6c retirement.

Like I said, it does happen but it is rare. Most 0083's are above the mandatory retirement age.

Leave a comment:

replied
    uspp and otherfed jobs

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Its very rare (not saying it does not happen) for an 0083 to move into an 1811 spot. If he wants to be an FBI agent, going to the FBI police will not help. A guy in my FLETC class was trying to go that route and ended up going to an IG to be an 1811. Its like going USSS-UD and then going to an agent. Its hard as heck because they need the uniform guys in some respects more than the agents.
    First of all, USPP, USCP, USBP, PFPA, and USSS-UD are all "REAL POLICE Agencies", some are just more reactve vs proactive than others, some jobs, like FBI Police, do a lot of door guarding and booth sitting, but they are cops, so lets KNOCK off the "real police" thing. Go tell the Families of the 2 Capitol Police officers who were killed, or the WH Police(USSS-UD precursor) Ofc. Cofelt, or the DOA Sgt. from Ft. Hood, that they arent COPS. Sorry they just have different missions.

Also I HAVE to disagree with my Collegue Orlando about the highlighted post.

I personally know of at least 24, probably more USPP officers, who went to, 1811 positions. FBI, USSS, US State Dept. ICE, ATF, DEA, DOI-IG, DOE-
    IG, and many others, the list is to long to remember.

That being said, these people who left had specific skills sets: language, firearms instructors, college degrees, EOD Tech's etc.

So,I do do not know about 0083 from DOA, FBI PD, GPO, PD, and others to 1811, but we lose officers all the time to 1811 spots. One of my co-workers actually just left about 6 months ago.

But as someone else suggested, i do not think that FBI Police will get you on the list for FBI-SA any faster. I would suggest an advanced degree, or mor traditional "Police work" style job. IMHO

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• 2themax45
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    I guess the female Dept of the Army Police Officer at Fort Hood wasn't doing real police work the other day.....was she....?
    +1

People think because you are not always pulling traffic and issuing tickets that you are not "police." Yes, USCP and USSSUD are Protection oriented, but it does not mean they are not involved in "police work." Capitol has proved many times that they can handle business when it comes their way, as with many other Fed LEO's.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by NYCardinal85 View Post
    Park Police is the only federal agency that you mentioned that does actual police work.
    I guess the female Dept of the Army Police Officer at Fort Hood wasn't doing real police work the other day.....was she....?

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    Park Police is the only federal agency that you mentioned that does actual police work. UD will pull the occasional traffic, but its not their mission. Though they love backing us up when we pull traffic. FBI Police I've never seen anywhere but at their buildings controlling access and checking passes, same for Capitol.
    What rock have you been under? Come on now, you have completely left out several agencies, such as Border Patrol, some DOA/DON police on military bases, US Capital Police, National Park Service...and them some.

Leave a comment:

• Chiller
    replied
    Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
    I'm doing research for a friend so please bare with me. Which Federal PD is the best one to be a member of in regards to pay, work assignments, promotions etc..

I tell my friend that USCP/USPP is the way to go but he feels that joining the FBI Police is a way for him to one day become an agent.

What are your thoughts since I know little of this matter?

Id say USPP myself

Leave a comment:

• Chiller
    replied
    Park Police is the only federal agency that you mentioned that does actual police work. UD will pull the occasional traffic, but its not their mission. Though they love backing us up when we pull traffic. FBI Police I've never seen anywhere but at their buildings controlling access and checking passes, same for Capitol.

Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about... but I'm not going to get into your obv. bias for USPP which you are an officer for. I guarentee we do a fair bit if you are in the right section to do it. I'd love to here your knowledge on how you make that statement in your so far short career

?????????????????????????????????
    Last edited by Chiller; 11-06-2009, 05:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Skitals
    replied
    If you want to be a cop, USPP is the way to go. Cars, boats, scooters, bikes, motorcycles, horses, dogs, helicopters, atvs, swat, vice&narcotics, major crimes, highway... they have it all. And you aren't stuck in one place. Five districts in DC, and you've got field offices in NYC and San Fran. Nothing comes close to it. Unless you want to sit in an air conditioned booth all day and call yourself a federal police officer. Your choice.

Leave a comment:

• 2themax45
    replied
    +1. USSS/SA will generally not pick up UD Officers until after their 3 year mark. The only problem with that is %58 of officers between 1-3 years quit.This statistic is based off the latest Senate report from October 5th of this year in regards to, "Uniform Division Modernization Act."
    Only around 30-50 UD officers flip over a year, depending on how many 1811 classes. It's nice starting federal time right out of college, but more traditional police work will give you more experience for an 1811 job IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ICEAGENT
    replied
    Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
    I'm doing research for a friend so please bare with me. Which Federal PD is the best one to be a member of in regards to pay, work assignments, promotions etc..

I tell my friend that USCP/USPP is the way to go but he feels that joining the FBI Police is a way for him to one day become an agent.

What are your thoughts since I know little of this matter?
    I've heard that the Pentagon Force Protection Agency is one of the better uniformed FLE agencies. I think their pay is a little better than some of the others.

If his goal is to become an 1811 (FBI, DEA, ICE etc) I recommend the USBP. It is the best LE experience by far and the 1811 agencies hire a lot of ex-BP.

As far as going from FBI police to FBI agent, forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Originally posted by 9MMhunter View Post
    DOD Police, maybe. They basically work as civillian MPs.
    The only "DoD" police are the ones at DLA bases and the Pentagon and neither of them do traditional police work to an extent that the US Park police.

Leave a comment:

• 9MMhunter
    replied
    DOD Police, maybe. They basically work as civillian MPs.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3364 users online. 161 members and 3203 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X