300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NYCardinal85 View Post
    Park Police is the only federal agency that you mentioned that does actual police work. UD will pull the occasional traffic, but its not their mission. Though they love backing us up when we pull traffic. FBI Police I've never seen anywhere but at their buildings controlling access and checking passes, same for Capitol.
    What rock have you been under? Come on now, you have completely left out several agencies, such as Border Patrol, some DOA/DON police on military bases, US Capital Police, National Park Service...and them some.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Park Police is the only federal agency that you mentioned that does actual police work.
      I guess the female Dept of the Army Police Officer at Fort Hood wasn't doing real police work the other day.....was she....?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
        I guess the female Dept of the Army Police Officer at Fort Hood wasn't doing real police work the other day.....was she....?
        +1

People think because you are not always pulling traffic and issuing tickets that you are not "police." Yes, USCP and USSSUD are Protection oriented, but it does not mean they are not involved in "police work." Capitol has proved many times that they can handle business when it comes their way, as with many other Fed LEO's.

Comment

uspp and otherfed jobs

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          Its very rare (not saying it does not happen) for an 0083 to move into an 1811 spot. If he wants to be an FBI agent, going to the FBI police will not help. A guy in my FLETC class was trying to go that route and ended up going to an IG to be an 1811. Its like going USSS-UD and then going to an agent. Its hard as heck because they need the uniform guys in some respects more than the agents.
          First of all, USPP, USCP, USBP, PFPA, and USSS-UD are all "REAL POLICE Agencies", some are just more reactve vs proactive than others, some jobs, like FBI Police, do a lot of door guarding and booth sitting, but they are cops, so lets KNOCK off the "real police" thing. Go tell the Families of the 2 Capitol Police officers who were killed, or the WH Police(USSS-UD precursor) Ofc. Cofelt, or the DOA Sgt. from Ft. Hood, that they arent COPS. Sorry they just have different missions.

Also I HAVE to disagree with my Collegue Orlando about the highlighted post.

I personally know of at least 24, probably more USPP officers, who went to, 1811 positions. FBI, USSS, US State Dept. ICE, ATF, DEA, DOI-IG, DOE-
          IG, and many others, the list is to long to remember.

That being said, these people who left had specific skills sets: language, firearms instructors, college degrees, EOD Tech's etc.

So,I do do not know about 0083 from DOA, FBI PD, GPO, PD, and others to 1811, but we lose officers all the time to 1811 spots. One of my co-workers actually just left about 6 months ago.

But as someone else suggested, i do not think that FBI Police will get you on the list for FBI-SA any faster. I would suggest an advanced degree, or mor traditional "Police work" style job. IMHO

Good luck

Comment

But how many 0083 police officers actually move from agencies such as Mint, BEP, DoN, DA, VA etc? The VA is the largest federal police force nationwide and Id say about maybe a thrid can qualify for 1811 jobs (under the 6c retirement). USPP, USSS-UD and USCP maybe represent a third of all 0083 police officers nationwide and are already in the 6c retirement.

Like I said, it does happen but it is rare. Most 0083's are above the mandatory retirement age.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I'm not trying to play the "real police vs. fake police" argument in here. Apologies to those that feel offended, I should have worded it better.

What I meant was more proactive vs. reactive policing, which I'd think this "friend" would want more proactive if he's seeking to become an 1811 agent. I have plenty of respect for Capitol/FBI/DOA/etc. but their job MAINLY consists of standing post/working magnetometers/waiting to react in the event something bad happens. While those things all have their place in law enforcement/force protection, they probably won't help him attain his 1811 slot nearly as much as going and becoming a traditional street cop.

Comment

If you are looking for "proactive" 1811, is really not for him. Most 1811 postions, except for a few on task forces are totally reactive.

They sit in an office and wait for a state or local officer to bring them a case, and then they work it.

As far as ATF goes, they wait for a street cop to bring them a felon with a gun case, and then they go out and do all the follow up. ICC tracking, ppw from the gun shops, copies of orignal record of conviction. It's a lot of leg work for the AUSA to prep the case.

I have a buddy with the FBI, and he has been on for 15 years or so, he has made less than a dozen arrests.

His most interesting case..... The interstate shipment of stolen bicycle parts..... Not motorcycles, bicycles..... I tell you this not to insult him or the bureau, but to point out, this is not CSI, 24, Law and order, or NCIS, this is the reality of most 1811 work. Boring drudge work, not running and gunning 24/7.

If you want to run and gun, become a street cop, in a city, where there are not a lot of calls for service to tie you up, that leaves you a lot of time to go out and find criminals. Some call it "clean police work", That is the reason I like USPP so much, plenty of time to be a proactive cop.

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.. My friend ( as anyone who actually knows me, is aware that I am already OTJ ) was made aware of this thread and is now actually interestED in the USPP.
                  Last edited by nasa808; 11-08-2009, 11:38 AM.
                  We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
                    If you are looking for "proactive" 1811, is really not for him. Most 1811 postions, except for a few on task forces are totally reactive.

They sit in an office and wait for a state or local officer to bring them a case, and then they work it.
                    Totally, completely 100% incorrect. Any 1811 who "sits in his office waiting for someone to bring them a case" is a slug. There are plenty of proactive things you can do as an 1811. In my office, if we have nothing going on case-specific, we do database research, surveillance on potential targets, meet and develop sources, etc.
                    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
                      Thanks for the replies everyone.. My friend ( as anyone who actually knows me, is aware that I am already OTJ ) was made aware of this thread and is now actually interestED in the USPP.
                      I looked up the USPP and i emailed my info. is there anything else I need to do??

Thx ur da bomb=)

btw I gotta talk 2 u!! lol
                      God has the last say! <3

NYPD
                      Exam No.-....
                      List No.-8**
                      Psych-Passed (9.17.09)
                      Oral Psych-Passed (9.17.09)
                      J.S.T.- Passed (10.9.09)
                      Meeting w/ BI- Done(10.09.09)

Mini Med-(1.4.10)
                      Mini med No. 2 (6.1.10)

Academy- July 2010
                      or
                      Grad School??? ;-)

F.B.I. Police Officer Exam

11/7/09- Passed

Interview- Jan '10

Comment

Park Police is the only federal agency that you mentioned that does actual police work. .

WRONG!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
                          WRONG!!!!!!!
                          The poster is actually mostly correct reference the Park Police. Most federal LEO jobs are considered security oriented policing whether we like to hear it or not. The exception is probably BP but they too have static posts.

PFPA, USCP, USSS/UD, etc all have a "patrol" function but the primary mission of those agencies is security of the buildings, people, and information of their respective agencies. Yes LE work is done by all of those agencies but the mission and scope of the LE work is typically geared towards the overall goal of force protection.

USPP does police work but they to have their physical security missions. Just look around at the various monuments in the NCR. Overall I would say that USPP is probably the most active uniformed FED LEO job. They cover a lot of ground and deal with some unsavory characters throughout the city.

Throughout the city versus only on specific government properties or within certain boundaries set up to keep officers away from the not so nice parts of DC.

Comment

Originally posted by george4 View Post
                            The poster is actually mostly correct reference the Park Police. Most federal LEO jobs are considered security oriented policing whether we like to hear it or not. The exception is probably BP but they too have static posts.

PFPA, USCP, USSS/UD, etc all have a "patrol" function but the primary mission of those agencies is security of the buildings, people, and information of their respective agencies. Yes LE work is done by all of those agencies but the mission and scope of the LE work is typically geared towards the overall goal of force protection.

USPP does police work but they to have their physical security missions. Just look around at the various monuments in the NCR. Overall I would say that USPP is probably the most active uniformed FED LEO job. They cover a lot of ground and deal with some unsavory characters throughout the city.

Throughout the city versus only on specific government properties or within certain boundaries set up to keep officers away from the not so nice parts of DC.
                            I think you forgot about all the Federal Natural Resourced Agencies. Yeah maybe in Washington DC USPP is.

Comment

Yes I did forget about them. I never realized the work that is done at some of our bigger national parks until I went to FLETC. Some of the instructors were LEOs in national parks. They said that they encounter crimes from across the spectrum and often work alone in the middle of no mans land.

Comment

My only issue with using NPS is 2 fold.

1. in order to get hired at most parks, one needs to pay for training and get an NPS level 2 commission. Most other federal agencies DO NOT require this.

2. Many parks are seasonal in nature and while they can be slammed 5-6 months out of the year the rest of the time they can be quiet.
                                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2595 users online. 133 members and 2462 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X