300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Forest Service SCEP

I am going to be applying for a SCEP (basically an internship that for the most part guarantees you a position after you graduate school) law enforcement officer position with the US Forest Service in the next month or so. I just wanted to basically tell you what I have done to prepare for the position and if you guys can suggest anything I should do in order to prepare for the interview.

I applied for the USFS SCEP position last year and wasn’t selected. I wasn’t very prepared for the interview it was basically a call on Tuesday saying your phone interview is at noon tomorrow, and I know what I should’ve said during the interview to make by self sound more hire able. One of the issues is this SCEP program is a national hire so I can’t really just bug the local USFS guys for a position, because if you are selected its one of those things where they say your going to this location and if you say no then your not being hired and they’ll move on to the next guy.

I am 21, I have an AA in criminal justice with a 3.2 GPA. I am currently working towards by 4-year degree in CJ and a minor in natural resources and currently have a 3.33 GPA and plan on graduating 12/2010. I have spent the past two summers working as an intern for another fed natural resources agency however I don’t really like it too much there (as do some of the SA’s however that is something for another time). I worked for a state law enforcement agency for 2.5 years doing undercover alcohol violations. And I have gone on over 180 hours of ride alongs with USFS, BLM and state game wardens.

My application has to be in by December 31st and if it’s the same schedule as last year the interviews will be in mid March.

Is there anything else you guys think I should do between now and March? I got a couple ride alongs to schedule with some USFS officers (kind of to try and get my name out there with hopes one of them says something to their sup.) But other then doing that is there anything else I should do in the next couple months to bolster my resume and increase my chances of getting hired?
    Last edited by wildlife97; 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM.

Get a certification in something like ATV riding or snowmobiling. That will help.

Comment

Get a certification in something like ATV riding or snowmobiling. That will help.
      You'll actually get that stuff, anyway. My ATV certification was about 4 hours long. I'd focus instead on getting the 4-year degree in natural resources instead of CJ. A CJ degree will not help you nearly as much when trying to get into a fed natural resoure agency.
      "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

I was doing some research and found that a local community college is going to be offering some courses next quarter that would certify you as a Wildland Firefighter (Red Card), and another course as a Basic Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B). All of these courses would be done just before the interview.

Would getting one or both of these certifications help me out on getting a SCEP position with the FS (or any other fed natural resource agency) or would it be a waste of time? Do many fed natural resource fficers have these cert's? I can't imagine too many people would have one/both of those certifications....
        Last edited by wildlife97; 11-04-2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
          You'll actually get that stuff, anyway. My ATV certification was about 4 hours long. I'd focus instead on getting the 4-year degree in natural resources instead of CJ. A CJ degree will not help you nearly as much when trying to get into a fed natural resoure agency.

He asked what he could do in the next 4 months before the interview. He can't do the degree thing in 4 months. I know someone that went to SCEP
          and got that certification and said that will help.

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
          I was doing some research and found that a local community college is going to be offering some courses next quarter that would certify you as a Wildland Firefighter (Red Card), and another course as a Basic Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B). All of these courses would be done just before the interview.

Would getting one or both of these certifications help me out on getting a SCEP position with the FS (or any other fed natural resource agency) or would it be a waste of time? Do many fed natural resource fficers have these cert's? I can't imagine too many people would have one/both of those certifications....
          There are plenty of people that have both certifications. There not that hard to get.

Comment

Coming from the federal fire system BLM and USFS I meet several rangers that where in fire first, it helps with the experience of natural protection, like ACO88 said those certs are not hard to get, Red card that is, the only down side is that the red card expires every. As far as EMT the rangers out in CA didnt really use it to much, there are alot of fire depts around but does help. The BLM rangers at Dumont Dunes, big sand pit that gets alot of dirt fans ie atv's sand rails etc, use it ALOT, also NPS rangers are paramedics.

Just me 2cents.
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

He asked what he could do in the next 4 months before the interview. He can't do the degree thing in 4 months. I know someone that went to SCEP
              and got that certification and said that will help.
              Anything one can do within four months is going to be something that looks sn***y on paper, yet has no practical experience behind it. Interview panels aren't stupid and they know this. That's why I told him to focus on something more significant, like a degree concentration.
              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
                I actually found out today that I am going to graduate a year ahead of schedule with my CJ degree, (only two semesters left) so what I am thinking about doing is getting my CJ degree and start doing the application blitz (apply to all fed natural resource LE gigs) and work on the natural resource degree while I am basically waiting. So I would basically have two bachelor degrees, one in CJ and another in natural resources

Do fed natural resource agencies really favor a natural resource degree that much over a CJ degree for a LE gig?

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                  I actually found out today that I am going to graduate a year ahead of schedule with my CJ degree, (only two semesters left) so what I am thinking about doing is getting my CJ degree and start doing the application blitz (apply to all fed natural resource LE gigs) and work on the natural resource degree while I am basically waiting. So I would basically have two bachelor degrees, one in CJ and another in natural resources

Do fed natural resource agencies really favor a natural resource degree that much over a CJ degree for a LE gig?
                  There is actually a "Natural Resource Law Enforcement Degree" that some schools have as a 4 year degree. University of Minnesota and Unity College in Maine are the 2 that I know of.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4375 users online. 232 members and 4143 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X