300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
    Just curious what the Green Lights bars means? If they are LEO's in some form why dont they have red or blues? I know in CA some FD's use a green light attatched to a boom light or a single strobe on the back of their SUV's to indicate IC.
    They no longer have green lights but all blue lights.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
      They no longer have green lights but all blue lights.
      Indeed. Looks a lot nicer than the green! I glanced in one last week and couldn't see any controls - do they have sirens? Are they considered / can they be operated as emergency vehicles ?

Comment

Originally posted by flash40 View Post
        Indeed. Looks a lot nicer than the green! I glanced in one last week and couldn't see any controls - do they have sirens? Are they considered / can they be operated as emergency vehicles ?
        The police vehicles have only lights, no sirens. The EMS vehicles are now fully equipped with lights and sirens.

GWU Police are the only university department om DC without sirens in their cars. A fault of Chief Stafford is her obsession with being cautious and following all the rules. The DC Code doesn't specifically state that university police can operate emergency vehicles, so she will not install the sirens in the police vehicles, until that is changed.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

So if those officers have to respond some where what do they do stick their head out the window and yell? So did the green lights have any special meaning, or was it something they just put on the cars?
          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

GWU Police operate mostly in a very congested area comprising 20+ blocks of downtown Washington DC ... so during rush hour for instance, all the sirens in the world can only get you through so much traffic in a vehicle ... and it won't be quick. They do however have a very active Police Mountain Bike Unit, which is able to cut through traffic very quickly, no matter the time of the day.

The green lights had no meaning. Chief Stafford just didn't believe that University Police could have blue lights in the District of Columbia (even though all the other University Departments had them on their vehicles), so she had green lights mounted on the vehicles. Eventually, she was convinced that it was perfectly lawful for her agency to have blue lights, so they replaced all the green lights.

If she wasn't retiring, I am guessing that Chief Stafford would eventually figure out that she can have sirens too. But since she is retiring, that'll be someone else's decision.

I will say it is kind of jacked up that the EMS Division of UPD (which is comprised mostly of volunteer students) has emergency lights and sirens, but the Police Division has only emergency lights ... no sirens. Great for morale!

Comment

HOW, but like someone said prior they dont carry so guess it makes sense. Its like USC Public Safety out here in CA. They go through a full police acedemy 22wks but they dont have police powers. They still have to get a guard card and all the permits. Their cars have amber lights and all. Then the other odd agency out here are the police officers for the CA Dept Of Mental Health. They are fully marked officers, patches and units all say police and have emeregency lights but they dont carry side arms at all. Doesnt make any sense out here either. Guess every area has that one odd PD.
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by flash40 View Post
                To follow-up on the others' comments--to be an emergency vehicle in DC you have to have red lights. Blue signifies priority but doesn't give emergency status. Whenever a university police car is driving on public roads (outside their jurisdiction) they're not technically supposed to use lights/sirens at all and can't be an emergency vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by dcUniCop View Post
                  they're not technically supposed to use lights/sirens at all and can't be an emergency vehicle.
                  That is absolutely INCORRECT. Although I have often heard that from people. There is nothing in the DC Code that says a university police department cannot operate emergency vehicles.

Case in point. GWU Police - EMS Division (EMeRG) has fully equipped emergency vehicles (red lights and sirens) which operate on city streets of the District of Columbia.

Georgetown University EMS (GERMS) has fully equipped emergency vehicles (red lights and sirens) which operate on city streets of the District of Columbia.

Like I said, there is nothing in the DC Code which says universities can't have emergency vehicles. That is a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPSDcop View Post
                    That is absolutely INCORRECT. Although I have often heard that from people. There is nothing in the DC Code that says a university police department cannot operate emergency vehicles.

Case in point. GWU Police - EMS Division (EMeRG) has fully equipped emergency vehicles (red lights and sirens) which operate on city streets of the District of Columbia.

Georgetown University EMS (GERMS) has fully equipped emergency vehicles (red lights and sirens) which operate on city streets of the District of Columbia.

Like I said, there is nothing in the DC Code which says universities can't have emergency vehicles. That is a myth.
                    Agreed--I think I misspoke (mistyped?). I meant that none of the universities that have all-blue lights (especially on their police vehicles) have gone through the process to be designated by DPW as being emergency vehicles. DPW is the city agency that designates EV status and since none of the university police have reds I believe that means they haven't gone through that process.

Comment

Originally posted by dcUniCop View Post
                      Agreed--I think I misspoke (mistyped?). I meant that none of the universities that have all-blue lights (especially on their police vehicles) have gone through the process to be designated by DPW as being emergency vehicles. DPW is the city agency that designates EV status and since none of the university police have reds I believe that means they haven't gone through that process.
                      I thought Georgetown Public Safety had red and blues...

Comment

Originally posted by XD-40 View Post
                        If they do, that would make them emergency vehicles... But Howard, AU, GW, Catholic, etc. just have blues and aren't EVs.
                        Last edited by dcUniCop; 11-21-2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XD-40 View Post
                          Georgetown DOES NOT have red at all...just blue...unless that has changed sometime since last Saturday, which I doubt it has.

Comment

Originally posted by theheights109 View Post
                            Georgetown DOES NOT have red at all...just blue...unless that has changed sometime since last Saturday, which I doubt it has.
                            Georgetown law public safety has red n blues, they are the campus by Union Station on NJ ave.
                            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Georgetown University Law School Dept of Public Safety has red and blue on white cruisers.

Georgetown University Dept of Public Safety has all blue lights on blue cruisers with white tops.

The two departments are separate due to the Dean of the Law School being a very powerful person and not liking the old Director of the Dept of Public Safety (William Tucker); so the university allowed her to have her own separate police force for her campus.

Comment

Originally posted by theheights109 View Post
                                Attached Files

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3633 users online. 224 members and 3409 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X