300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioin regarding what would better prepare me for being selected for FLE

I applied for DSS-SA yesterday and know that its a long shot since I don't have any LE experience. I have my degree but it is in History. I know from research that getting a Master's degree makes your more competitive. As far as what degree should I get it in? i have no idea. I'm thinking if i do this i'll get it in education since I already of a liberal arts degree and can always teach p/t.

I've also been researching National Guard/Army OCS.

Any suggestions? I am 28 now
    Last edited by WannaBeTacMedic; 09-30-2009, 06:27 PM.

DSS is VERY Competitive. I know a bunch of guys who have been hired there, and most are former Uniformed Officers. Have you considered a foreign language ? that would certainly help you. I do not think a MA in EDU, will assit you much, when you are competing against, LEO's, who also have BA's or MA,s in CJA or EM, etc.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
      DSS is VERY Competitive. I know a bunch of guys who have been hired there, and most are former Uniformed Officers. Have you considered a foreign language ? that would certainly help you. I do not think a MA in EDU, will assit you much, when you are competing against, LEO's, who also have BA's or MA,s in CJA or EM, etc.

Good Luck.
      I've considered a foregin language. It will definitely be a plus if border patrol picks me up since i'll add spanish to my repertoire. If i do pick a foreign language for education well i can't get my masters i would have to get a dual degree. Next question is get a dual degree or masters in something else?

Comment

IMHO, Spanish speakers are a dime a dozen, I do not think that a USBP Spanish class will help you much, being hired and working a few years as a BPA however, probably will.

I would look at languages like Arabic, Pashtun, Russian, etc. like where the conflicts are. or maybe French. When the selection proces comes, you want to have something that makes you stand out from the crowd. I'm not sure that spanish is the language that will do that.

This is only my opinion, other people may tell you that Spanish will help you a lot. As fr an MA, I would say Politics, International studies, diplomacy, something State Dept. ish and not as much LE.

Comment

Good luck!
          Last edited by Xihaobo; 12-25-2009, 07:46 AM. Reason: edit
          "The only easy day was yesterday"

Comment

Originally posted by Xihaobo View Post
            I am fluent in Mandarin Chinese.
            Not to damper your parade....but you will just shake your head when the USG sends you to the ME or Africa instead of where you could be a real benefit too.....

Just saying....see it happen all the time and all you can do is shake your head....

Comment

I have my degree in and am fluent in Mandarin Chinese. I just got my FOE for DSS SA in August and am headed to training this month.
              I took the language test during the application process. Needless to say I think my language skills, and my prior military experience, as well as extensive foreign travel, and good, solid work experience all made me very competitive.
              I will say that if you have a foreign language skill, plus military, will you get "bonus" points when it comes to your ranking on the register, provided you make it all the way to the end.
              However, they use the "whole person" concept when looking for ideal candidates.
              Bottom line, for DSS I don't think it really matters what kind of degree you have, just as long as you have one. What they really look for is someone worthy of working in the foreign service; someone they can count on to represent America and protect American diplomacy and foreign policy. I agree that having a foreign language skill will definitely help you out and make you more competitve, as long as you can prove proficiency in that language. If you have travel abroad experience that also helps. They look at the overall traits and qualities of each applicant. Remember, it is a foreign service position, so demonstrated knowledge of foreign affairs, travel/living abroad experience, etc. along with responsible, solid work experience are main traits they look for.
              DSS SA is truly competitive, but stay positive. If you make it to the BEX you must present confidence as to why you should get hired.
              Good luck!
              Another one of my regrets was not teaching abroad after college. I've been thinking of teaching in 'China. Again this would be for a year and feel i would miss out on applications such as BP interviews and other agencies. Do you think this would be worth it?

At this point it would be very hard for me to go back to school for a masters.

and thanks for the responses!
              Last edited by WannaBeTacMedic; 10-09-2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Good luck!
                Last edited by Xihaobo; 12-25-2009, 07:43 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

Edit

Good luck!
                  Last edited by Xihaobo; 12-25-2009, 07:44 AM. Reason: Edit

Comment

But the language skill was very highly desired, and it gave me extra points on the register.
                    They are...as you could be a huge assest at DSS HQ doing briefs and Intel work for them....

My point was just because you speak a certain language.....don't expect to use it at times as I've seen guys that spoke Korean/Thai end up in the ME and were disappointed they weren't useing their skills....

Oh well, it's part of the mystery of FED GOV employment!
                    You have no idea what a mystery it is....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4536 users online. 272 members and 4264 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X