300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Police Assistance

I frequent this forum quite a bit and was hoping I could be assisted by a Metro Transit Police Officer. My car was broken into on August 21st in the early morning and my wallet was stolen. I discovered the break in at about 7am and reported it. I cancelled my cards at about 8am. After recently checking my bank statements, I have discovered that 2 purchases were made that morning at 6:11am and 6:13am at the Vienna Metro Station for $36 each. I was wondering if there was any way of finding the guys that robbed me.

Thank you.

Originally posted by bubbagump0728 View Post
    I frequent this forum quite a bit and was hoping I could be assisted by a Metro Transit Police Officer. My car was broken into on August 21st in the early morning and my wallet was stolen. I discovered the break in at about 7am and reported it. I cancelled my cards at about 8am. After recently checking my bank statements, I have discovered that 2 purchases were made that morning at 6:11am and 6:13am at the Vienna Metro Station for $36 each. I was wondering if there was any way of finding the guys that robbed me.

Thank you.
    You mean burglarized you.

Unless the car doors were left unlocked, if the car doors were left unlocked then it is just a theft. Either, a grand theft or petty theft, depending on the dollar amount of your total loss.

I would go back to the department and report the two fraudulent charges that you discovered. Maybe the officer can attempt to view the video surveillance at the location where the fraudulent charges were made. If there’s surveillance then the officer may possible be able to ID the suspect, through the video surveillance. Highly unlikely though, but possible.

Good luck
    Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbagump0728 View Post

Thank you.
      It appears that someone used your credit card to purchase farecards from the vendors. The vendors won't allow more than two consecutive purchases w/in a 24 hour period for exactly the reason you've experienced. The stations have DVR systems in place and should have had one pointed at the vending machines. You should contact MTPD's CID section, with your report number, and talk to a detective. You can call the main communications line and request the CID number.

Comment

Try to get the info ASAFP, as it is likely that the video (if any) will be overwritten very soon. Most DVRs are set up to overwrite data on a first in first out basis... that way you always have a set amount of info (1 day, 1 week, etc.) Due to cost, most systems go back much more than 30 days... and most times 7 to 14 days is more common.

Comment

Originally posted by csu35430
          In DC, you can't burglarize an auto ...... the report taken was prob theft from auto and destruction of prop..... I don't know how Metro works, but they might just add it on the report and tell you to contact you bank, dunno how much investigation they'll do for a theft from auto.
          The crime happened in VA not DC. I found something that may help if the person is caught.

§ 18.2-192. Credit card theft.

(1) A person is guilty of credit card or credit card number theft when:

(a) He takes, obtains or withholds a credit card or credit card number from the person, possession, custody or control of another without the cardholder's consent or who, with knowledge that it has been so taken, obtained or withheld, receives the credit card or credit card number with intent to use it or sell it, or to transfer it to a person other than the issuer or the cardholder; or

(b) He receives a credit card or credit card number that he knows to have been lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the identity or address of the cardholder, and who retains possession with intent to use, to sell or to transfer the credit card or credit card number to a person other than the issuer or the cardholder; or

(c) He, not being the issuer, sells a credit card or credit card number or buys a credit card or credit card number from a person other than the issuer; or

(d) He, not being the issuer, during any twelve-month period, receives credit cards or credit card numbers issued in the names of two or more persons which he has reason to know were taken or retained under circumstances which constitute a violation of § 18.2-194 and subdivision (1) (c) of this section.

(2) Credit card or credit card number theft is grand larceny and is punishable as provided in § 18.2-95.
          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

In DC, you can't burglarize an auto ...... the report taken was prob theft from auto and destruction of prop..... I don't know how Metro works, but they might just add it on the report and tell you to contact you bank, dunno how much investigation they'll do for a theft from auto.
            You don't have vehicle burgs??
            Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

nope
              Wow, good to know.

Comment

yea, usually if the auto is broken into, then it's theft from auto with additional charge of destruction of prop.
                In Cali we just do a vehicle burg (459 PC) when a vehicle is broken into. Also if there is permanent damage because of the burg we sometimes charge the vandalism (594 (b) (2) PC). The vandalism would be considered a Lesser and Included charge. When we do charge it, the DA typically drops the charge in an attempt to bargain a plea. Sometimes though the DA doesn't file on Lesser and Included crimes so we usually don't include it.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah I live in Vienna, VA and this happened on my driveway. I called the Fairfax County Officer who took the police report and left him a message informing him that I found out they used my debit card in the Vienna Metro Station. He has yet to call me back.

In related news, I found out last night that there have been a string of car break-ins in Vienna over the past couple of weeks where things were stolen from the cars. Possibly connected to my situation?

Comment

OK, the venue in your original post wasn't specific so, to me, it appeared that the break-in was in a Metro lot. If you hear from the Fairfax detective, let him know about the DVR's in the station (in case he isn't aware of it), I think the video saves for 30 days, but I'm not positive.

As far as lot break-ins? Welcome to Metro!! The #1 crime in the system is vehicle related crime. Metro has about 60,000 parking spaces in 29 lots and 22 garages throughout the Washington region--cars are going to get "hit." Especially if you park at Southern Avenue or Suitland, or anywhere in the 'hood and leave your freekin' GPS in your window! Garages get hit more than open lots, simply because the knuckleheads can hide easier.
                    Last edited by RGGjr; 09-17-2009, 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

This whole matter is incredibly frustrating. You guys wrote that tapes are often taped over after about 30 days. As I've said, this crime occurred on August 21st. I didn't find out about them using my debit card until last week. I called Metro Transit to notify them and they told me to notify Fairfax County Police. I called Fairfax County and they told me to call up the officer who worked my police report. He never returned my call and seemed to not be in last week. After finally speaking to him Friday afternoon, he informed me that he is on Administrative Leave and that I need to contact Criminal Investigations to put a Detective on the case. It was too late to call them on Friday and they are closed on the weekend so I called them this morning. They informed me that they will have a Detective contact me in about 3 to 5 Business days.

By the what you gentlemen said, by the time the Detective actually attempts to view the tapes from the Vienna Metro, the tapes should have been taped over.

How frustrating!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3143 users online. 136 members and 3007 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X