Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh, so much misinformation.

No, we don't go overseas.

No, don't show up at a post to ask questions. You WILL be detained.

Unless you have EXTENSIVE SWAT, or Tier 1 military experience (SEALs, Army SF, Force Recon, etc) do not even waste your time applying to protective agent.

Just like most other Fed agencies, we are primarily force protection. Depending on where you are you have room to be more proactive. Easiest money you could ever make, and the service as a whole is pretty squared away.

And as stated, yes we have a 20 year retirement now, under FERS Special.

Comment

Sorry, I removed my original post
      Last edited by ThinBlueLEO; 11-24-2010, 06:55 PM. Reason: spell check

Comment

Nice posting above and it explains some. I heard the CIA Police commercial this morning. If they are referred to as Police why not get rid of the "security" logo they carry. Probably make one feel a little better about themselves. What is SPO Security Protective Officer?

Comment

Yes, SPO is the acronym for Security Protective Officer. The SPS patches do read "Police" and not "Security". I have an idea why they don't drop the "security" piece but am not 100% so I don't want to post it if I'm incorrect. The posting on CIA.gov also refers SPO's as "Police Officer".

Comment

Thank you for the post it answered a bunch of my questions.

Comment

Anyone hear anything from this agency. I applied 2-3 weeks ago when I saw on their site they were taking applicants for their uniform division. It states on the site that you should hear something(IF if you are going to hear something)within 40 days.

Comment

Why the sudden hiring push? I hear their ads on the radio and everywhere I look, see them in newspapers, on buses...

Comment

Originally posted by Dean27 View Post
                  Anyone hear anything from this agency. I applied 2-3 weeks ago when I saw on their site they were taking applicants for their uniform division. It states on the site that you should hear something(IF if you are going to hear something)within 40 days.
                  Like most agencies, they receive hundreds of resumes a week and they most likely won't review them unless they are actively hiring in your specific area. So you may not hear anything at all, but it doesn't mean that you aren't qualified or that they won't reach out to you down the road.

Originally posted by flash40 View Post
                  Why the sudden hiring push? I hear their ads on the radio and everywhere I look, see them in newspapers, on buses...
                  The SPS are always hiring but in order to remain competitive with other agencies, it would be in their best interest to advertise if they want some of the more qualified applicants to apply.
                  Last edited by ThinBlueLEO; 09-25-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

We are having a problem with our new E-Hire system, so it might be a few.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

This is actually accurate information, thanks for posting it.

Originally posted by ThinBlueLEO View Post
                        Good afternoon everyone,

Hopefully I can clear up any confusions or misconceptions regarding SPS and what they actually are and are not. I'll try to reference some of the questions from the previous posts and apologize if I miss any. If I do miss any, please feel free to respond to the thread or contact me via private message.

SPS is not divided into two groups. All SPS Officers (or SPO's) are duly sworn federal police officers. The Agency does have contract guards working for them but they are a separate entity from the actual SPS Officers. SPO's are Police Officers and not "Security Guards" or and "administrative" position as previously noted. Although some of the work SPS does is static post or security guard type work, they also have several types of mobile patrols and do standard type traffic stops.

An officer does not have to be in the service for an obscene amount of time before getting promoted and has very competitive promotion processes (and competitive pay). They are constantly growing and upward mobility is obtainable and occurs often. SPS also has several specialty units that if you meet the criteria, you may apply for once you are an officer. They include K9, HazMat, Bomb Tech and Emergency Operations to name a few. Also, their are overseas (TDY) opportunities as an SPS Officer. They are on a volunteer basis and usually require you to compete against other officers who are interested. Although TDY opportunity exists, it isn't SPS's primary function and shouldn't be the sole reason for applying to this position.

As you know, federal LE is different than your more traditional LE. If you are looking to kick in doors and chase down drug dealers, SPS, FBI, USSS, NSA and similar uniformed LE jobs are not for you. However, in many ways, federal LE is more difficult that your more traditional LE since they wait for the threat to come to them and have to be ready at the drop of a hat. So yes, if you choose to remain a line officer, things can become pretty redundant but SPS is truly what you make of it. However, as previously stated, some people like the force protection aspect of the position.

The Agency likes to hire within so moving from SPS to another position is quit easy compared to other agencies. As long as you meet the qualifications of the position you apply for, you are just as competitive as any other applicant. SPS has a 3 year commitment and that time begins when you EOD. However, that commitment doesn't prevent you from moving within the service, getting promoted or taking advantage of some of the collateral duties, just from moving out of the Service within the first 3 years. Really not a long time.

The information provided above regarding Protective Agent (PA) is accurate if you are an external applicant thinking about applying to that position. However, PA is sometimes the next logical step for SPS if that type of work interests you. SPO's are eligible to apply for a full time PA position (if available) once their SPS commitment is complete and would be more competitive than an external applicant. The PA cadre will sometimes seek out part-time (PT) assistance from SPS which allows SPO's to go through the PA training and work with them on a PT or as needed basis. Many PA's are former SPO's. Again, unless you are willing to give 3 good years to SPS, I suggest against apply to SPS if you will only be happy as a PA because their are still no promises.

In closing, SPS does have a 20 year retirement, is primarily force protection and has limitless opportunity for advancement within the service and Agency if you are qualified and are willing to work hard. I would recommend against stopping by an SPS post for more information because you will not end up asking the questions. If you are interested, go to CIA.gov and apply. Although the posting is rather vague, if you are selected and make it through the prescreening, you will receive more information regarding the service and the position. At that point you are under no obligation to the Agency and may remove yourself from process at any time if it isn't for you.

If you would like more information fee free to respond to this post or send me a private message. I'll provide you with accurate information or I won't provide any at all. Thanks!

Leo
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Anyone hear anything since they applied. I applied about a month ago......haven't heard anything as of yet.

Comment

i applied 2 weeks ago online and have not heard anything

Comment

We're only hiring out of the Washington Metropolitan Area right now.

Comment

Originally posted by areg38 View Post
                                We're only hiring out of the Washington Metropolitan Area right now.
                                Meaning what? The agency is only hiring applicants for that area? Applicants that only live in that area? or both?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4728 users online. 267 members and 4461 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X