Smithsonian Protection Force Special Police Officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smithsonian Protection Force Special Police Officer

Information about the agency training, moral, law enforcement authority, and are they really in the FOP thanks in advance

I don't know much about them, but I know that if you go down to the Air & Space Museum and sit and watch them for a few minutes, you WILL NOT be impressed. I have no idea how they choose who gets to carry a weapon or not, but at any given time less than a 1/4 of their officers are packing heat.

Also, they are 0085 Security Guards, who hold Special Police Officer status ... I do know that.

From Wikipedia:
    Smithsonian Museum Protection Officers are U.S. federal government employees that are designated as "special police" under the United States Code (Title 10, Chapter 63, §6306). They undergo three weeks of training in firearm use, arrest, handcuff procedures, and pepper spray use. They are assigned to one of 19 Smithsonian museums or research sites in New York City, Virginia, or the District of Columbia. There is also a specialized k-9 unit with bomb detection dogs that patrol the museum grounds.
    Last edited by DCPSDcop; 05-03-2009, 11:32 AM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

Wikipedia is not really a great source of reference material, but i think on the mall only the supervisors, and K-9 units carry ...

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
        Wikipedia is not really a great source of reference material,...
        blasphemy ...
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

According to the annoucement, it's a GS-05 job.....and GS-05 only....

Ick....that's 33K a year starting off......with a max of 43K a year....

You could find a security job in the private sector working for the USG paying more than that......

Comment

Sorry DCPSD just stating my opinion. But you are right, they are a guard force, not police in the traditional sense of the word.

Comment

They are security guards, but because of DCs "special police" title, they are FOP qualified. Some do go to FLETC, but they are the minority. I was not impressed with that org.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by Spooky View Post
                They are security guards, but because of DCs "special police" title, they are FOP qualified. Some do go to FLETC, but they are the minority. I was not impressed with that org.
                They are not DC SPO qualified as they have arrest authority under federal law.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                  They are not DC SPO qualified as they have arrest authority under federal law.
                  Correct....as they are only 0085 series....aka Security Guards. They are not 0083 series Federal Police Officers.....

0085s don't go to FLETC.....

Comment

Here is the new posting on USAJOBS:

SALARY RANGE: $42,209.00 to $54,875.00 / Per Year
                    OPEN PERIOD: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 to Tuesday, January 03, 2012
                    SERIES & GRADE: NZ-0083-07
                    POSITION INFORMATION: Full-Time, Permanent - Federal
                    PROMOTION POTENTIAL:07

DUTIES:
                    •Patrols on foot or in a motor vehicle/motorized cycle as designated and is assigned to one or more areas of the park to prevent and detect violations of the law.

•Maintains order within the park, promotes public understanding of laws and ordinances and cooperation in their enforcement, directs pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic, gives first aid in cases of emergency, supplies information to the public pertaining to the park and its collection in a direct and courteous manner, and assists the public whenever possible in a similar manner.

•Takes immediate command at scenes of crimes, accidents, incidents and other emergency situations until such time as he is relieved by a supervisor. Courteously but firmly directs citizens to assist as deemed necessary and summons necessary aid.

•Immediately communicates accurate and concise information about accidents, incidents and other police problems to other police officers or to citizens.

•Guards public officials, prisoners, citizens in danger and various sorts of property.

So are they cops now that actually do police work or still just guards standing around? Was out in DC last summer and didn't see any type of Smithsonian Police Officers out patroling in crusiers. Thoughts?

BIA 0083 Police Officer
                    WindRiver PD
                    Tentative Offer:02/12/2013
                    Medical: Completed
                    E-Quip : Completed
                    BI: Completed
                    EOD: 07/30/2013

"We Must Not Simply Mourn The Men Who Died. Rather We Should Thank God That Such Men Lived." Gen George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by grunt82abn View Post
                      So are they cops now that actually do police work or still just guards standing around? Was out in DC last summer and didn't see any type of Smithsonian Police Officers out patroling in crusiers. Thoughts?
                      If you look at the annoucement...it says "NZ" in it. That would lead me to believe that it was at the National Zoo......

There are thereads in here about the Zoo Cops. Management doesn't want them to be real cops....so lots of turnover and issues with turning folks over to MPD and not processing the dirtbags themselves.....

42K in DC....? You'd be living in the ghetto and/or working 2-3 jobs trying to survive out there on that..... BTDT.....

Comment

Right now National Zoo has lots of problems. Also they want certified officers so they dont have to pay for training. And there is a difference between the guards in OPS and the NZPP police officers.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                          Right now National Zoo has lots of problems.
                          Understatement.... Sent out a message to my buddy that works there.... He's still trying to flee back to Amtrak.....

Comment

NZP mainly look for retired MPD or USPP officers to hire.

Comment

Originally posted by DCLocal View Post
                              NZP mainly look for retired MPD or USPP officers to hire.
                              BS... I know they will hire anyone with a police academy cert.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8223 users online. 250 members and 7973 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X