Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Transit Police Department

Hello,
    Does anyone know anything about the application process for this department?

I applied online two months ago and recently checked-in with them. Was told they are still hiring, but it seems like they may be a little backlogged in applicants.

Per http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/transit_police/, it appears to be a pretty typical process: online application, written exam, physical agility, background check, oral board interview, "truth verification test" , psych, and physical.

Run a search on here, as there are several other threads about MTPD. Appears to be a more security-focused mission, but tri-jurisdiction authority is pretty sweet, minus the massive amount of training you have to go through!

Comment

What is a "more security-focused mission"? MTPD takes regular calls for service, domestics, fights/assaults, robberies, theft of and from auto, disorderly persons, man with gun, man with knife, man with gun and knife, heavily intoxicated, refusal to leave, injured person, threats, stalking, etc. Many members make a good number of felony arrests, while most conduct multiple traffic and person stops per day for crimes committed within WMATA jurisdiction. It is a specialized department, so you're not going to be going into peoples houses, or answering burglar alarm calls. You'll probably have fewer felony arrests than most agencies. We probably write more criminal citations for misdemeanors than other police agencies in the area.

Foot patrol is the backbone of the department, so if you're not comfortable on a crowded platform, performing the majority of your work "in person" without a cruiser to retreat to, and "in public view", than you might consider employment elsewhere. This is a job where you have to be willing to learn how to talk to people and willing to learn how to utilize our environment to your tactical advantage when you stop a person.

It's a great place to work, the money is good and we can get court time in DC, Alexandria city, Arlington, Fairfax, Montgomery and Prince Georges counties. Traffic and criminal court fall on separate days in all of those locations (DC traffic? hah). If you are smart and aggressive you can stay as busy in court as you want.

The application process is simple. Apply, don't lie, and hopefully you'll get hired.
      Last edited by aaa79; 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM. Reason: huge typo - originally had "you're going to be going into peoples houses" - an obvious typo that I hope all understood.

Comment

Originally posted by aaa79 View Post
        What is a "more security-focused mission"? MTPD takes regular calls for service, domestics, fights/assaults, robberies, theft of and from auto, disorderly persons, man with gun, man with knife, man with gun and knife, heavily intoxicated, refusal to leave, injured person, threats, stalking, etc. Many members make a good number of felony arrests, while most conduct multiple traffic and person stops per day for crimes committed within WMATA jurisdiction. It is a specialized department, so you're going to be going into peoples houses, or answering burglar alarm calls. You'll probably have fewer felony arrests than most agencies. We probably write more criminal citations for misdemeanors than other police agencies in the area.

Foot patrol is the backbone of the department, so if you're not comfortable on a crowded platform, performing the majority of your work "in person" without a cruiser to retreat to, and "in public view", than you might consider employment elsewhere. This is a job where you have to be willing to learn how to talk to people and willing to learn how to utilize our environment to your tactical advantage when you stop a person.

It's a great place to work, the money is good and we can get court time in DC, Alexandria city, Arlington, Fairfax, Montgomery and Prince Georges counties. Traffic and criminal court fall on separate days in all of those locations (DC traffic? hah). If you are smart and aggressive you can stay as busy in court as you want.

The application process is simple. Apply, don't lie, and hopefully you'll get hired.
        Great post....and a great agency.....

You guys helped me out when I was working for DHS a couple of years ago at the Neb Ave Complex..... Suspicious package at a bus stup in front of the place....our folks found it....You guys responded....took the scene....let me stand and watch from afar.....and got to play with the robot once things were handled....

A real pleasure to work with....

Comment

What is a "more security-focused mission"?
          Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Simply re-stating what I've heard in other threads. Sounded like management expects more security/counter-terrorist duties, opposed to typical proactive LE duties. I'm glad to hear that's apparently not the case!

What is the schedule like? Has hiring slowed down like everywhere else?

Thanks for the information...it's nice to see an MTPD officer on here!

Comment

Bearcat - glad to hear that! My only experience with the robot, thankfully, was a demo when I was in the academy.

Flash40 - Don't worry, I was not offended. Foot patrol works 4x10s. Cars work 5x8s. I have no clue what the hiring pace is. Regarding "counter-terrorism", our mission is the safety and security of transit passengers, workers, and facilities. You don't maintain that without proactive law-enforcement activities. 90% of my work is self-initiated. I'll leave it at that.

I'm happy here. I could be happier, but that's the case with any agency in the country.

Comment

I just submitted my online application and am excited to get the ball rolling on this!

Comment

90% of my work is self-initiated. I'll leave it at that.
                Sounds good to me !

I imagine a car position is tough to get...how long on foot before one can expect that? How do the sectors work for foot and car officers? What are some of the problems that would change if you could? I know MTPD has jurisdiction throughout the "1,500 square mile Transit Zone," but what does that actually mean? I remember hearing something about within 500 feet of a bus stop, 1000 feet of a station and anything involving or aboard a Metro vehicle? Is working off WMATA property, frowned upon? For example, pulling a traffic stop unrelated to Metro.

Comment

I applied 2-3 months ago, and got a call last week asking if I was still interested and was setup with a Feb 21 date for written test and PAT.

I'm exicited about this department :thumbup:

Comment

Bearcat - glad to hear that! My only experience with the robot, thankfully, was a demo when I was in the academy.
                    No problem. I worked with one of your MAJ's that day and he was a great guy. Got to talk to your intel folks and they told me a lot about the missions you guys do when you get stuff like that happening.....Outstanding info....

Once again, a great agency to work for if you are wanting to work in the DC area....they are right up there with MPD.....the Airports....PFPA....Capitol Police....USPP.....USSS-UD....etc......

Comment

What problems would I address?

For starters every officer should have a $90,000 base salary. Next I'd increase the size of the force to just under 7,000 sworn members. I'd also offer catered lunches for all officers and patrol sergeants every day of the week. Finally I'd have heated blankets and Sealy mattresses in our districts for a 45 minute paid nap time during your shift.

Sarcasm aside, you are asking questions that a sworn member of a police department would be crazy to disclose. Our jurisdiction is available on our website. Here's all that I am happy to say: It's a good place to work. It's not MPD 6d or 7d, so you aren't running code all night with backed up calls, and you aren't going to do big narcotics raids. We have good equipment, we make a halfway decent living, and having three days off is nice. Further questions should be directed towards our recruiters.

Comment

I was looking at the online app and there is a question that asks about prior traffic convictions. Anyone know if this also refers to moving violations (i.e. speeding tickets)?

Comment

Originally posted by LeoHopeful4 View Post
                          I was looking at the online app and there is a question that asks about prior traffic convictions. Anyone know if this also refers to moving violations (i.e. speeding tickets)?
                          Have you plead guilty (paid fine) or been found guilty of any traffic charge within the last twelve months? Five years? Seems pretty straight forward.

Comment

Only 10 people passed the testing today...

People were being sent packing in every phase. Background pre-screening, physical fit test, and the written....man on man....it was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrain02 View Post
                              Only 10 people passed the testing today...

People were being sent packing in every phase. Background pre-screening, physical fit test, and the written....man on man....it was interesting.
                              Ten, eh? Out of how many?

When did you apply? Any idea when the next test date will be? I applied online in November and haven't heard anything from them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8262 users online. 427 members and 7835 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X