Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPD Testing

Hi all-

I submitted the online app a couple weeks ago and received a packet today with paperwork and a testing date. However, the testing date is January 10th, and I don't think I will be able to make that date. They provided a number to call and reschedule, but do they look down upon you for not sticking to the original appointment?

Also, I read on another post that you can walk in any Saturday and take the test. Is that still true? My brother lives in Leesburg VA, so if I could go up on a Friday (currently live in Atlanta) and take less vacation days, that would probably actually work out alot better.

One more thing....for those of you who are out-of-state applicants, how many trips are required to complete the process?

Thanks for any and all responses! I made it through the entire Phoenix PD process after 3 trips out there, and then they implemented a hiring freeze. Hopefully I will be more successful in this process and actually get hired!

Originally posted by flyer2007 View Post
    Hi all-

I submitted the online app a couple weeks ago and received a packet today with paperwork and a testing date. However, the testing date is January 10th, and I don't think I will be able to make that date. They provided a number to call and reschedule, but do they look down upon you for not sticking to the original appointment?

Also, I read on another post that you can walk in any Saturday and take the test. Is that still true? My brother lives in Leesburg VA, so if I could go up on a Friday (currently live in Atlanta) and take less vacation days, that would probably actually work out alot better.

One more thing....for those of you who are out-of-state applicants, how many trips are required to complete the process?

Thanks for any and all responses! I made it through the entire Phoenix PD process after 3 trips out there, and then they implemented a hiring freeze. Hopefully I will be more successful in this process and actually get hired!

1) It's not a problem to reschedule. I had to reschedule mine and was hired in less than 4 months.

2) I dont think the walk-in is on ANY saturday, just the saturdays they are holding the test (usually about once a month).

3) Be prepared to make AT LEAST 2 trips to DC. The first is for the test, the second is for the medical/psych. For out of towners, they'll usually try and let you do both the med and psych on the same day, or at least on back-to-back days.

Good luck.

Comment

You will only have to take about three trips total. I remembered when I took the test there were a hand full of people from out of town. They make you priority over everyone as far as being processed first as far as your paper work after you take your test. Once you pass the test you will have to come back and take the psych and medical. When I was taking the 2, the out of towners had to be seen first by the psych, regardless if they finished last.
      "It has to get dark before you see the previews"

Comment

Few more questions for anyone who might be able to answer:

1) I tried marijuana in October 2004 for the first and only time. I was 26 years old. Will this be an automatic disqualifier because of the late age of experimentation? Stupid, I know.

2) The "Blue Book" that is mentioned.....does this get mailed to you before your written test date? In addition, I've seen other applicants mention that you have to provide a neighbor reference for everywhere you have lived. How far back do you have to go? I haven't really ever talked to my neighbors much, and I have lived in quite a few locations. I'm not unsocial, just never really the need, time, or desire.

3) It appears that the medical/psych tests are scheduled for two separate days, typically a Weds and Thurs. Is this standard? Just trying to determine if it will be feasible for me to take that many potential vacation days. I live in Atlanta, so will be coming from out-of-state.

4) I read in one post that MPD is staffed at desired levels. Does this mean that hiring will slow down to only hire for attrition? Is attrition high with MPD?

I plan on calling and asking these questions to a recruiter tomorrow before I buy a plane ticket for my testing appointment. However, if anyone can provide any feedback regarding their experience(s) with any of the above, that would be outstanding.

Thanks!

Comment

1) I tried marijuana in October 2004 for the first and only time. I was 26 years old. Will this be an automatic disqualifier because of the late age of experimentation? Stupid, I know.
          Errr....

I would call and see if that's going to hurt you....as I think it will from reading the MPD threads over the last several years.....

Better to call now....and get a yes or no....instead of flying to DC twice then get the no.....based on something they could have told you right off the bat....

Just sayin.....

Comment

2) The "Blue Book" that is mentioned.....does this get mailed to you before your written test date? In addition, I've seen other applicants mention that you have to provide a neighbor reference for everywhere you have lived. How far back do you have to go? I haven't really ever talked to my neighbors much, and I have lived in quite a few locations. I'm not unsocial, just never really the need, time, or desire.
            Thanks!
            They didn't mail the book to me. I received it when I was there for testing. You can get quite a bit done if you bring along your information to fill it in since there is a lot of down time after fingerprinting, photo, etc.

Typically they want you to go back at least 10 years. I'm not sure, again, like stated previously you should call them with these questions.

Let me know if you have any questions.
            Brad

Comment

Called, but no one answered. I left a voicemail for them on that general recruiting number.

Comment

Called, but no one answered. I left a voicemail for them on that general recruiting number.
                They're typically pretty good about returning phone calls.

If you don't hear from them by noon, I'd give them another call before end of day.
                Brad

Comment

My call wasn't returned today; I will try again tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks!
                    I just called and asked about this and the investigator acted like it was no big deal. His response was "*haha* come on down and take the test". He said I would be fine. Let's hope so!

However, I think I am going to wait until February, instead of my scheduled testing date of January 10. Plane tickets should be a bit cheaper; they are very expensive for January right now. I called to reschedule the test, and she said they would be testing on January 27th also. That is a Tuesday, so I asked her if there would be a Saturday test in February, and she said yes, but they didn't know the date yet. She told me just to call back around January 13th to reschedule.

Is it okay to reschedule after your original date has already passed, or do I need to cancel the first date and then reschedule?
                    Last edited by flyer2007; 12-30-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Is it okay to reschedule after your original date has already passed, or do I need to cancel the first date and then reschedule?
                      I'd just go ahead and cancel and reschedule, it looks better than a complete no-show. I dunno about MPD, but i know some depts dq you for a certain length of time if you are a no-show to a test.

Comment

Called today and the next Saturday test after January 10th will be Feb 7th. I'm going for the Feb 7th because plane tickets are much cheaper then, and I don't have to use any vacation. However, the lady did not take my name or anything, and I repeatedly asked her if she needed to document the change or anything, and she said no.

I am hoping the process goes quickly and they do not implement a hiring freeze (would be just my luck).

Anyone else testing in February?

Comment

Question for those who have tested....the written test and the "orientation" are the same day, correct? What all is involved in the orientation? Approximately how long do you stay the day of the written/orientation? I'm assuming part of it is spent waiting while someone reviews the intial packet of paperwork that you take with you?

Thanks for any details!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3517 users online. 216 members and 3301 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X