300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwessel View Post
    You know what, I have to say that GWU police is a great police force.

........Because of this general disdain and belief in rumors about misconduct (that as far as I know have never been upheld) I doubt that they are ever going to get guns because of this rampant student opposition (although I figure they will as soon as an incident happens and people end up dying... that is after they blame UPD for not being properly prepared.

HOW any police force can work without a firearm in the U.S these days is BEYOND me.with what I deal with and the fact I patrol residentials, commercial and transit areas, there is no FANTASY that I won't run into serious criminals,and I would not do this job- no matter what the pay, without one........
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
      HOW any police force can work without a firearm in the U.S these days is BEYOND me.with what I deal with and the fact I patrol residentials, commercial and transit areas, there is no FANTASY that I won't run into serious criminals,and I would not do this job- no matter what the pay, without one........
      I talk to these guys and they all point out to me that they have all made arrests at one point in time or another where the guy has a firearm on him or a big blade. The problem is that the University controls what statistics are reported to the school run newspaper, and they only report the ones involving drunken behavior. If they started saying "oh yea, three kids were brought to the hospital for drinking... two were caught with booze in their rooms underage... and oh yea, we caught a guy walking around campus with a .45 who has a record of violence, but don't worry UPD doesn't need guns" I have a feeling that there would finally be a call for arming these men and women.

The only issue that people really have is that UPD only has 7 weeks of training or something absurd like that. They should start a program IMMEDIATELY in my opinion where all officers who are new and any old ones who want to be armed should have to go through more training.

All I know is that when I see a drunk person on campus I only call UPD. When I see a guy who looks suspicious (asked me how to turn on his "new Ipod" that was scratched up like crazy and was carrying three laptop bags over his back on the street in the middle of a robbery spree where electronics were being targeted) I called MPD before calling UPD.

Comment

The only issue that people really have is that UPD only has 7 weeks of training or something absurd like that. They should start a program IMMEDIATELY in my opinion where all officers who are new and any old ones who want to be armed should have to go through more training.
        GW Police Officers go through 700+ hours of training, which equates to over 22 weeks. The 7 week figure that the GW Hatchet cited in that last article is the length of the Consortium of Universities Police Academy. GW cops go thru 7 weeks of Phase Training before the 7 weeks of Academy Training and then additional training after academy.

This is very similar method that federal agencies use (FLETC Mixed Basic Course was only 8 weeks until it was increased to 12 weeks a few years ago) wherein the academy is 12 weeks, however individual agencies provide additional training on their own.

And lastly, very little of police training is firearms related anyway. Most police training revolves around laws and criminal procedure. I beleive the average new recruit in a police department receives about 80 hours of firearms training, which is only 2 weeks.

And as far as the crime stats. You show your ignorance. The Cleary Act requires all Post Secondary Educational Institutions to post their crime stats on their website and publish them yearly in a crime report. The GW Hatchet reads the crime stats off the UPD website (which is updated daily) and then meets with Chief Stafford for the specifics. The GW Hatchet (which is an INDEPENDENT newspaper) then publishes what they feel is most entertaining and comical in their Crime Log. The university does not play with their crime stats, as that would be a serious crime and result in some hefty fines.

Another big problem that UPD does need to address is that they have purposely blurred the line between their police personnel and security personnel in order to make it appear as though they have a larger force than they actually do. They should take steps immediately to change the uniforms of their security personnel to something completely different than the police personnel. Most of the public outcry over this arming has to do with people thinking that the security officers (who are commonly referred to as "UPD Officers") will be the ones who are getting armed; which is not the case.
        Last edited by DCPSDcop; 10-17-2008, 12:13 PM.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

When I see a guy who looks suspicious (asked me how to turn on his "new Ipod" that was scratched up like crazy and was carrying three laptop bags over his back on the street in the middle of a robbery spree where electronics were being targeted) I called MPD before calling UPD.
          And all you accomplished was making sure that this guy wouldn't be stopped and identified. You call 311/911 and the call goes onto the dispatch board and is dispatched based upon its priority. A call for a suspicous person is pretty low level, so at times you might be looking at that being dispatched 30 mins to an hour after you call. And then once it is dispatched, if the MPD Officer who receives the run recognizes it as at GW, they will advise the dispatcher to notify GW Police anyway.

On the other hand, if you call GW Police, the call is likely to be dispatched much quicker than a 2D unit would be dispatched and the GW Police unit is probably much closer to the call and thereby might actually arrive while he is still in the area.
          Last edited by DCPSDcop; 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

All right - heard back from AU PD. They're "going forward" with my app. So, step one - complete. Lord knows how many left.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
              All right - heard back from AU PD. They're "going forward" with my app. So, step one - complete. Lord knows how many left.

You do realize AU is alot more reactive compared to GWU PD. Basically lots of parking tickets being written. I looked into a part time gig with them when I worked at NNMC.

If your looking to go special, why not try for DC protective services police. Im sure DCPSDcop can give you the skinny with them.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

e d i t e d . . . .
                Last edited by DEcop989; 06-19-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                  You do realize AU is alot more reactive compared to GWU PD. Basically lots of parking tickets being written. I looked into a part time gig with them when I worked at NNMC.

If your looking to go special, why not try for DC protective services police. Im sure DCPSDcop can give you the skinny with them.
                  We are no longer Special Police Officers of the Metropolitan Police Department.

We are also now operating on the MPD radio channels and responding to calls for police service that are occuring in our vicinity (whether it's government property or not).

Our duties have always been far outside what a Special Police Officer Commission allowed, but no one in the past asked for the Attorney General's opinion; which is all it took to get us out from the stupid SOMB bs.

This just proves how stupid some of our previous chiefs have been as they were requiring us to mantain SPO Commissions from MPDC that we never used other than carrying the card behind our Police Officer credentials which have always been issued by OPM by the authority of the Director of the Office of Property Management.
                  Last edited by DCPSDcop; 11-06-2008, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
                    I've applied with them; actually been speaking with a few of their officers. I could handle the work, and the academy is regular metro PD's but their running standard is lax. The only hickup is it takes 12-18 mos to go thru the process. So, we wait.

But until then, I could work AU.

Orlando - IM me if you have a chance. Have a few au-specific questions.
                    Interesting. I wasnt aware that DCPS attended MPD's academy. I know DCHA does.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPSDcop View Post
                      We are OFFICIALLY no longer Special Police Officers of the Metropolitan Police Department. According to our new Chief of Police, Louis Cannon and DC Attorney General Peter Nickles, DCMR 6A and DCMR 10 allows the Office of Property Management to create it's own police force. Thus we are OFFICIALLY now sworn under DCMR 6A (same as MPDC) and DCMR 10 as opposed to DCMR 6A Chapter 11.

We are also now operating on the MPD radio channels and responding to calls for police service that are occuring in our vicinity (whether it's government property or not).

Our duties have always been far outside what a Special Police Officer Commission allowed, but no one in the past asked for the Attorney General's opinion; which is all it took to get us out from the stupid SOMB bs.

This just proves how stupid Chief Arnold Bracy and Chief Thomas Francis (the two Chiefs we had since DC Council officially classified us as 0083 Police Officers) were by requiring us to mantain SPO Commissions from MPDC that we never used other than carrying the card behind our Police Officer credentials which have always been issued by OPM by the authority of the Director of the Office of Property Management.
                      Sweet! Concurrent jusrisdiction or just near your properties?

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                        Interesting. I wasnt aware that DCPS attended MPD's academy. I know DCHA does.
                        It's been a while since we sent any recruits through MPD's Academy ... like pre-2001. For the last few years we used FLETC, however I heard that we will soon have an MOU in place with MPD to put recruits through their academy again.

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                          Sweet! Concurrent jusrisdiction or just near your properties?
                          This isn't quite clear to me yet. We have a meeting later today with the Command Staff, perhaps they will explain this.

Although we are now being told to take police action throughout the District as needed (although our mission continues to be Force Protection oriented).

Comment

Not to highjack the thread but i have a question.
                            I'm thinking about applying to the University of the District of Columbia PD this week.

Does anyone have any experience working/interactng with them? Any pros or cons that you have seen/heard?
                            Also, I was wondering if special police officers are allowed to carry off-duty for personal protection? I live in VA if this makes a difference too.

Thanks for your time.
                            Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5398 users online. 208 members and 5190 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X