Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Special' Police Agencies in DC

e d i t e d . . . .
    Last edited by DEcop989; 06-19-2009, 05:55 PM.

I work for a Gov't contractor and we are "Special Police Officer" with limited powers only to the facility.

There's isn't an academy for the position, but a MILD physical test is required. We make as much, if not more, than than the majority of police officers in the area. The catch is, there is a ceiling with my company.

PM me if you'd like more details...

Comment

There are MANY organizations with special police authority in DC. It ranges from loss prevention agents at department stores, bank guards, armored truck drivers, private security (both at buildings and on patrol), hospitals, universities, and so on. I don't know the process, but it seems fairly easy to get your SP cert from the city, as many people have them! I think there was a security company that was recently busted for hiring armed guards who were felons...

Few do actual police work, as most are just (sometimes armed) security guards with the ability to arrest for offenses on their property. Your best bet and closest thing to being the police, would be to try the colleges/universities. I've heard very good things about GWU...they are even CALEA certified and moving towards being armed.

Comment

e d i t e d . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
          Ahterwards he spoke to me and said I wouldn' me happy there - my style of policing deals in absolutes. I don't tolerate domestic abuse, corruption, rape, or drugs. And from what he gathered they want you to make as few arrests as possible.
          So why just apply to Special Police jobs? If you want to do POLICE work then apply to a POLICE department.

I'm not knocking any of the special police agencies in the city but they just have different missions then what you appear to want to do.

Comment

That's what a few people here have said. My old PD LT actually talked me out of it. He got the call from the GWU Chief for my background and she was talking to him about the campus and the dept. Ahterwards he spoke to me and said I wouldn' me happy there - my style of policing deals in absolutes. I don't tolerate domestic abuse, corruption, rape, or drugs. And from what he gathered they want you to make as few arrests as possible.

So - I've tried searching google under special police, even under dc security, and found very little info.
            Why not just apply to a Police Agency? From the way you are talking and your style of "policing" is not what "special" police and or colleges deal with. Just apply to MPDC or any surrounding agencies where you will get your fair share of drugs, etc.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

e d i t e d . . . .

Comment

...I wouldn' me happy there - my style of policing deals in absolutes. I don't tolerate domestic abuse, corruption, rape, or drugs. And from what he gathered they want you to make as few arrests as possible...
                That is the reality of most special police agencies, colleges/universities especially. Just because you have the "authority" to make arrests, doesn't mean your employer will want or allow you to use it. From what I've heard, GWU is actually more aggressive in terms of arrests compared to others. There are a few former officers on the site, so maybe they will chime in.

What do you have to lose by applying to police departments and trying to build up your endurance? You don't run 3-5 miles every day in every academy.

Comment

I would love to, but again, my leg's a bit messed up. I can pursue for about a mile but running 3-5 every day duering the academy...my leg won't hold up.

As flash said, for MPD it's not 3-5 every day... I would say it was between 1.5-3/day at around your own pace (unless it is a formation run, which the pace is pretty slow). There are days that go up to about 5 miles, but they arent the norm. I think the longest day we had was like 8 miles, but that was with a couple of breaks and at your own pace. This doesnt mean you could walk (unless you want a foot up your @ss), but there were guys in my class that had leg issues that were able to run/jog through them.

The PT test distances are 300m sprint and 1.5mi run...

PM me if you need anymore details

Comment

Unless your a serial killer, then special police will hire you.....I work loss prevention, you should see some of the guys that are "special" police...

Comment

Originally posted by jigsaw457 View Post
                      Unless your a serial killer, then special police will hire you.....I work loss prevention, you should see some of the guys that are "special" police...
                      This guy specifically quoted the University Departments who are commissioned under DCMR 6A as Special Police Officers simply because there are no other statutes in th DCMR which allows universities to create police departments in the District of Columbia (unlike most other states).

However the campus and university special police officers were separated from standard SPO's under the Campus Security Act of 1995, which amongst other things requires academy training for all campus or university police officers and gives then 2 year commissions.

The universities and especially GW have very high standards ... GW's standards are on par or higher than MPD's ... if you don't have a BA/BS, you will be hard pressed to get on there unless you have already graduated from a police academy.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

OH yeah and as far as GW and not arresting people. HaHa. GW will lock anyone up, they don't care who you are.

And as far as why someone would be a GW cop instead of a "real" cop ... well I'd say at least half of their sworn officers are obtaining Masters Degrees from GW tuition free. Most will move on to bigger and better things than street cop work after they get the paperwork.

Also, GW is in the process of arming their police force finally. It should be finalized with armed officers by this summer.
                        Last edited by DCPSDcop; 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

2D or 3D ... the university owns property that the University Police Dept is responsible for in both police districts.

Comment

You know what, I have to say that GWU police is a great police force.

Ever since I became an Intern for MPDC I have been much more willing to talk to these guys than other people are. I have become friends with three of them (two because I had to call UPD a few times for medical help for others and they were amazed that I was so friendly and talkative to them and a third because I approached him while he was on duty and just said hello).

The biggest problem with GWU's UPD force is that the student population seems to think that a lot of them are unprofessional. I have never once seen a UPD officer act in an unprofessional way, but everyone else that I know says that they are unprofessional because "a friend once told me that he saw a UPD officer drink with students/steal my beer/inappropriately touch a drunk girl." The only problem is that I feel that nobody who I would trust has ever actually seen as much with their own two eyes.

The fact is most of the student population just has a general disdain for police officers and their authority. If you go to work here you might meet a few students who want to become officers themselves and will be nice to you, as well as a few veterans who are nice to you. Most of the people will be rude and treat you like an idiot. Because of this general disdain and belief in rumors about misconduct (that as far as I know have never been upheld) I doubt that they are ever going to get guns because of this rampant student opposition (although I figure they will as soon as an incident happens and people end up dying... that is after they blame UPD for not being properly prepared.

I know that officers get a lot of disrespect in any jurisdiction, but unless you are trying to get a free Masters/BA I would not suggest working here. They are great officers, but even MPD officers working in the 7D get handshakes and thankful citizens coming up to them every now and then (I have seen it with my own two eyes). That is just something that you will probably get maybe once a year at most if you work here.

Comment

Sorry,Decop989 - you are going to have to go "inside". Working a specialized dept myself ( Airport PD), we often get people who mistake the idea that we "don't do traditional policing" or a are some type of overglorified security guards 'cause our patches say "airport" or "transit", "port", or "college" - these people usually don't make it off probation,let alone the academy. I understand your dilema,believe me. but anytime you work as a LEO and have to put on a uniform, you're STILL expected to perform the job as well as your city copper or state copper counterparts,even IF they don't get the serious calls all the time.

You sound like you can still perform a decent days work, but you have to be realistic about your limitations. working as "special police " job ,will only mean security guard,and that won't satisfy you.but thinking that working a Campus cop job isn't going to entail a potential issue that would only happen on a city street? don't mislead yourself. There are alot of "investigator" positions, which require field work, but aren't the routine "traffic stop and radio call" work of a patrol officer. you can find them in state and federal positions.these will probably be type of LEO jobs you should aim for,as any uniformed patrol job is going to require you to be 100% physically.good luck.....
                              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11873 users online. 446 members and 11427 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X