300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPP vs. USCP

I'm currently in the hiring process for both the USPP and the USCP. I've been reading the threads fairly religiously (like everyone else in my position seems to be) and have been trying to decide which one I would most like to work for. I mean, assuming I get offers from both. I'm just looking for a little advice as to which I should choose (if it comes to that).

From what I've gathered, it's like this:

Capitol Police is a more security-oriented agency, which I guess translates into alot of standing around and guarding different areas of the Capitol building and surrounding areas. In terms of money, Capitol Police seems to be the way to go. Not only do they start out at a higher salary than Park, but from what the other threads say, there is all sorts of overtime to go around. I know I shouldn't choose a job based on money or possible overtime, but I think one post said something like a possible 80+ first year? That'd be pretty sweet.

Park Police seems like a more traditional police force. From what I understand, they work more closely with the MPD and have a wider jurisdiction in which to work. Park Police almost sounds like a regular police department, except it's federal. That's kind of what I always wanted: regular police work, but on a federal level.

So I guess I'm facing the "money or happiness" dilemma. I know I should choose happiness, but being not completely miserable with a fat wallet might work too. I know it's ultimately a matter of personal preference, but anyone's thoughts would be helpful and very much appreciated. Any pros, cons, cool stuff that I don't even know about, etc...

Thanks.

P.S.
    For those who are also in my shoes, I know about as much as you do. As far as the process goes, I'm currently undergoing the background investigation portion for both the USPP and USCP.

Originally posted by user0330 View Post
    I'm currently in the hiring process for both the USPP and the USCP. I've been reading the threads fairly religiously (like everyone else in my position seems to be) and have been trying to decide which one I would most like to work for. I mean, assuming I get offers from both. I'm just looking for a little advice as to which I should choose (if it comes to that).

Capitol Police is a more security-oriented agency, which I guess translates into alot of standing around and guarding different areas of the Capitol building and surrounding areas. In terms of money, Capitol Police seems to be the way to go. Not only do they start out at a higher salary than Park, but from what the other threads say, there is all sorts of overtime to go around. I know I shouldn't choose a job based on money or possible overtime, but I think one post said something like a possible 80+ first year? That'd be pretty sweet.

Park Police seems like a more traditional police force. From what I understand, they work more closely with the MPD and have a wider jurisdiction in which to work. Park Police almost sounds like a regular police department, except it's federal. That's kind of what I always wanted: regular police work, but on a federal level.

So I guess I'm facing the "money or happiness" dilemma. I know I should choose happiness, but being not completely miserable with a fat wallet might work too. I know it's ultimately a matter of personal preference, but anyone's thoughts would be helpful and very much appreciated. Any pros, cons, cool stuff that I don't even know about, etc...

Thanks.

P.S.
    For those who are also in my shoes, I know about as much as you do. As far as the process goes, I'm currently undergoing the background investigation portion for both the USPP and USCP.
    All i can say is that just follow your heart. If you enjoy what you do, eventually money will follow because you will succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by user0330 View Post

Thanks.

P.S.

Well pick security related or actual police related

you will not make 80+ your first year at USCP...

And sure u can make that much there but enjoy living there and having no life like many others do.

Keep in mind that will also depend what division u are sent too...some have lots and some have practically zero OT
      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Try setting up a ride along and experiencing what an average day is like. Only you can decide which path to take. Good Luck.

Comment

I can't speak for USPP, but USCP does not do ride alongs. You pretty much have it right about the differences between the agencies, however you should note that USPP has its shared of fixed posts also. USCP has a patrol division, and while it may not get as much action as USPP, they can do their fair share if you have the motivation to go out there and work.

Don't expect to get directly into a patrol slot with either one for a little while.

Comment

your looking at several years before you may get a patrol slot at USCP....upwards of 5+ is very realistic
            Just shut your damn hole

Comment

In reference to the comment that USCP does not do ride alongs, we do. Just call Patrol Division to set one up.
              Rock on Bitche$

Did I offend anyone??......Too bad.

Comment

USPP hands down!
                The Thin Blue Line!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Ride-alongs sound like a pretty good idea; maybe I can set something up for when I go down for my poly/psych/med (for Capitol) at the end of the month. Anyone have any details as to how that works? Like how far in advance I'd have to schedule something?

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller View Post
                    your looking at several years before you may get a patrol slot at USCP....upwards of 5+ is very realistic
                    There are exceptions. Officers have in the past been assigned patrol in a year (things may have changed under the past couple admins). However they took advantage of opportunities to make contacts, and write citations. Something many up on the hill don't do unfortunately.

I was not aware USCP did ride alongs, are they available for the general public or applicants only? Is this new?

Comment

Persons coming out of training for USPP are assigned fixed post and not patrol?

Comment

Didn't they get bad press earlier this year about security at the monuments? I'd guess that would mean more focus on standing posts and less on patrol. I have no inside knowledge--I'm just speculating about what leadership does when an organization gets "bad" attention.

Based on what others have written over the years, isn't that what slowly happened to USCP and USSS UD?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyReb View Post
                          There are exceptions.Not anymore Officers have in the past been assigned patrol in a year (things may have changed under the past couple admins)Yes they have changed...u will ot be assigned there at all. However they took advantage of opportunities to make contacts, and write citations.Now there are availabilities to somewhat patrol in other divisions as well but PD is much harder to get nowadays Something many up on the hill don't do unfortunately.this is true..hence why i prefer to be outside

I was not aware USCP did ride alongs, are they available for the general public or applicants only?Anyone can get them except me I guess( I can stops all day if i want now though)...I asked 1.5 years ago and my LT. denied it...LOL..guy was and still is a flaming ***** though..f-ing toolbag he truely is Is this new?dont know

I'd suggest a Friday night if doing one
                          Just shut your damn hole

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller View Post
                            I'd suggest a Friday night if doing one
                            OK talked to my family member and turns out USCP does ride alongs on a very limited basis and it has to be approved by the chief. Most end up being denied.

PD is apparently much smaller now with the increased posts outside, it less necessary for the mission of the USCP.

Chiller, I hear all about the admin up there, what do you really expect when there are Lts, that have never made a lock up their entire career?

Comment

Every USPP officer that I've ever spoken to has only had good things to say about their agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5611 users online. 334 members and 5277 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X