Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP Supervisory Test, What do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBP Supervisory Test, What do you think?

I've been in CBP since it's creation, prior to that I was with legacy US Customs (K9 Off). To me it's a joke, the Sup Test. They should promote according to job experience and personal recommendations. Not by taking some test that normally college grads will ace almost automatically. Most of these college grads have no common sense in making on the spot decisions. Any comments.
    Last edited by eagle79; 09-08-2008, 05:44 PM. Reason: grammer

When I took my test, I slept at the Holliday Inn Express !!!!

And now the serious part:

Test for GS-12/13 should not be available for anyone that has less than 5 years experience. PERIOD!! I have seen sexy chicas with 3 years on the job and barelly 1 year as GS-11s getting their 12 because they were the GS-14's candy bar. When it came to decide on anything, they ran back to the Chief on duty for second opinions... You are absolutely right Eagle, you need to earn the gold-leaf with sweat and backaches !!!!
    Last edited by matyoka; 09-08-2008, 08:06 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

MATYOKA,
      Thank you for your candor, but, I don't think even 5 years in the service makes an individual a good officer. He or she must serve at least 7 years. It takes an average Officer at least 3 to 5 years to feel comfortable in his/her job. That's why I feel at least 7 years before even been considered to be allowed to take the Supervisor test. To me the test is a joke. It's all pretty much grammer. If you can afford to attend college or improve on your grammer, chances are you will never pass the exam. Good officers, Good Hard working Officers are not going to get promoted because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle79 View Post
        I've been in CBP since it's creation, prior to that I was with legacy US Customs (K9 Off). To me it's a joke, the Sup Test. They should promote according to job experience and personal recommendations. Not by taking some test that normally college grads will ace almost automatically. Most of these college grads have no common sense in making on the spot decisions. Any comments.
        Why Eagle...just take the test, narrowly squeak by it and then promote through the CBP time-tested and proven strategy of boot-licking, brown-nosing and plenty of hours spent on your knees and/or back/front.

You'll likely make GS-15 in no time.

Comment

Nice one Merlin !!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Merlin, Quite honestly I've taken the test at least 3 times. I haven't been able to pass it yet. I've passed the Inbasket portion of it. That don't mean nothing. I consider myself a hard worker and I am still learning to do my job. I'll probably never get promoted or at least not anytime soon. Then if they decide to do away with the Test, then comes the good ole boy system or click as some called it. Yes I was under that too. I was never part of the click.

Comment

If CBP had any sense,( Yeah...I know that'll never come about.)they'd develop GS-12 and maybe GS-13 non-supervisory positions with the idea of rewarding those legacy and longtime officers who have honed their skills and proven themselves to be 'experts' on various CBP missions.

Comment

Merlin, you are absolutely right. IF CBP had any Sense. They don't (Higher Echelon) no common sense what so ever. They are all prior college grads with no field experience what so ever. They only think of themselves (PERIOD). Management only takes care of management.

Comment

I hear you.

MY idea...a system where GS-12 supervisors earn their promotions not through upper management, but by nomination of their fellow officers. Have them keep the test if they want, but have the decision of who to hire off. the list be settled by officers at the port/service port level. Upper management can then takes over and promotes GS-13 and above.

If base line sups were put in place by their co-workers rather than management, think of how much better that would be.

Comment

Merlin, I like your last sentence very much. People work better when they know that they have someone who truly understands them and we know they have our best interests and will get our backs. They will work best knowing that if you make a decision, they will back you up 100 percent. Not someone who is on the public side and will believe them before a blink of an eye. Take Border Patrol for example. Those officers that went to prison for doing their jobs. If their superiors would have back them up 100 % they would not be in prison right now.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9898 users online. 372 members and 9526 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                    X