Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPD Fittness Requirements for academy graduation

Hello all,

One year ago I was 221 pounds of fat, and through hard work I am now down to 179 with a 12:00 mile and a half, 44 sit-ups in one minute, and 36 push-ups in one minute. I run 7 miles every Sunday, and about 3-4 miles every other day or so.

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the physical requirements for academy graduation at MPD. Although I will try my hardest to "max out" and get my numbers much higher than just passing, i want to get a sense of where I should be to feel comfortable that I will not be too disadvantaged going into the academy.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Dwessel; 10-10-2009, 10:47 AM.

There are a few recruits on this forum that are in the academy now. They can advise you of the PT requirements to graduate per the recruit handout. I don't recall what they are off the top of my head.

At the rate you're going I doubt you'll have a problem passing the PT test.

Good luck with the application process!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwessel View Post
      Hello all,

I submitted an application to MPD recently. I am currently a student in DC with a 3.45 GPA, a summer internship with MPD, and am currently extending that internship with another unit. While I am sure that I have the academic potential to pass the academy, I am still unsure about the physical requirements.

One year ago I was 221 pounds of fat, and through hard work I am now down to 179 with a 12:00 mile and a half, 44 sit-ups in one minute, and 36 push-ups in one minute. I run 7 miles every Sunday, and about 3-4 miles every other day or so.

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the physical requirements for academy graduation at MPD. Although I will try my hardest to "max out" and get my numbers much higher than just passing, i want to get a sense of where I should be to feel comfortable that I will not be too disadvantaged going into the academy.

Thanks everyone!
      Well, those are three of the four tests. The other is a 300meter sprint. I did not bring my handbook home but as long as you can do the 300m in under a minute, you should be good to go.

The way it works is you'll do an initial pre-test to see where you stand. If you dont pass, it doesnt count against you, it just gives you an idea of what you need to work on. Then, after 40 hours of PT (approx 5-7 weeks) there's a half-way test. Once again, it doesnt count against you if you happen to fail. THEN, after another 40 hours of PT, you'll take the final test. This is the one you have to pass. If you fail, you get two weeks to retake it, and if you cant pass it, you'll be recycled back to a new class to start all over again.

Overall you need 12 points, and at least 1 point in each event. Each event is scored -2, 0, 1, 2, etc. to a possible max of 10 points. To get 1 point for a 20-29 male, you have to do 1.5 miles in about 13:20, 27 pushups/min, 33ish situps/min, and a 64 second 300m. So, where you stand now it looks like you'd be right around the 12 point range on your initial test. And if you're close to passing the initial test, there's no way you should even come close to failing the final.

If you need anymore info let me know.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I recently learned that the MPD hiring guidelines have changed and you now have to be 21 to apply! It used to be (and still said on the website when I applied) that you had to be 21 upon completion of the academy. I am 20 years old and about to graduate GWU with a degree in Islam with a GPA that will be above 3.45 (cum laude) and I am not eligible to apply until 2 months after I graduate!!!

Having interned with MPD for 4 months now (will be 8 when this internship is over, splitting my time between ORM and Gun Recovery) I am in love with this department and am going to try to do everything I can to get them to consider looking at me as a special circumstance and wave the age of application requirement... although I doubt it will work, it is worth a try.

Does anyone out there have any advice on what to do? I have started looking at nearby departments (Prince Williams, Fairfax, Arlington) and while they are really attractive I am kinda bummed that I might not be able to do MPD. I mean, with a hiring process that could take up to 8 months I cannot wait until almost a year after I graduate to get a job.

Comment

Two months is no time. Get in shape, gather your info for your background investigation and find a job to keep you busy.

I haven't heard of it taking anyone eight months to get hired in a long time. I doubt it will take you that long to complete the hiring process.

Btw, congrats on your upcoming graduation!

Comment

Yea, going on with what Jock said, most people are between 3-6 months. Some guys I've heard have been as quick as 2 months. I'd imagine that if you're doing an internship w/gun recovery, you probably had some kind of background check, right? They might still have some of your stuff on file and make the process quicker....

If you look at the MPD Application Process thread, you'll see that most guys are getting hired between 3-4 months (for the most part). The ones that usually take longer are the ones that have holdups either getting their BI's information or have a holdup in the Medical area because they need to get documentation on pre-existing injuries. I had about a 2-3 week holdup in medical and from test date to hire date was almost exactly 4 months....

Anyways, dont let it get you down, a 2 month gap isnt anything to get all worried about. Take a little break from school and relax a little bit before the academy...

Good luck...

Comment

Do you know what the approximate standards are for a male age 35? Do they vary alot as age increases? Thank you for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigredmachine View Post
                Some guys I've heard have been as quick as 2 months.
                Me.

The flip side of that is a recruit that was in the academy with me took 10 months to get hired.

Bottom line: As long as you're hired, it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by adm1 View Post
                  Do you know what the approximate standards are for a male age 35? Do they vary alot as age increases? Thank you for your response.
                  To get 1 point in each, it's 21 pushups, 30 situps, 13:53 mile/half, and a 64 second 300m...

To get 3 points in each, it's 27 pushups, 36 situps, 12:51 mile/half, and a 59 second 300m...

Comment

Dwessel, I brought home my Handbook and here is what you'd score:

36 pushups = 4 points
                    44 situps = 4 points
                    12:00 mile/half = 3 points

So, you're pretty much where you need to be as a baseline. You dont have to worry though, In the 3-4 months I've been here i've improved my pushups by about 20/minute, my situps by about 15/minute, got my mile/half time down about 2 minutes, and my 300m down about 4 seconds, so even if you're just under where you need to be, the amount that you'll be working out/running will help you improve your numbers.

You also asked about maxing out... If you want to get 10 points in each, you need to do:

54+ Pushups
                    61+ situps
                    8:41 or less mile/half
                    0:42 or less 300m sprint
                    Last edited by Bigredmachine; 09-06-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks BigRed

I will keep working to max out, but I really appreciate that info on where I need to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwessel View Post
                        Does anyone out there have any advice on what to do? I have started looking at nearby departments (Prince Williams, Fairfax, Arlington) and while they are really attractive I am kinda bummed that I might not be able to do MPD. I mean, with a hiring process that could take up to 8 months I cannot wait until almost a year after I graduate to get a job.
                        you have yourself a minor "obstacle" there if you ask me. most of these guys on here will tell you the same thing, follow your heart and do something you would love to do. if ur heart is with MPD then wait it out for a couple of months. that is what i am doing.

i graduated this past summer and I applied with MPD as well. in the mean time, i am working nearby my home town (philly suburb) as a personal banker (dont laugh) to keep some money in bioth my pocket and bank account. that is what i would reccomend you do, find any job you can out there.

if your process works out anything like mine is currently, you will be AMAZED about how fast the department works through the process. just take a look at my timeline so far in my signature. MPDC is almost waiting for me at this point since i had to reschedule my med/psych eval. keep at it!!

now back to the topic of the thread... i took this physical test with another department before and i would not consider myself to be in good shape and i passed it easily. 1.5 mile in 12:09 (felt like i was walking at that pace), 300m sprint in 35s, 38 sit ups (could have done more but they told us to stop when we reached our minimum). we did not to push ups but we had to bench press 99% of our body weight (anyone can physically do that, it is all mental and form).

with the way you going right now in your training, you have nothing to worry about.
                        Last edited by cmm491; 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM. Reason: bad typing

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6271 users online. 348 members and 5923 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X