300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route 66

I've searched to see if this was already posted/answered - couldn't find anything. Sorry if this is a stupid question - you'd think I'd already know the answer since I've lived here all my life - but, do county cops have authority on rt. 66?? (Just curious)

Yes. As long as 66 runs through their county (i.e. Northern VA 66 area - Centreville to Falls Church would be Fairfax County jurisdiction).

Comment

There are no stupid questions. Any local LE agency has jurisdiction on an interstate running through their boundries. In practice however, the VSP will handle most enforcement and/or response on the interstates but the locals can and sometimes do the same if need be. Same with regard to local roads. VSP can but usually don't handle incidents there. At least not in the urban areas. Out in the more rural areas, VSP may be the only ones available.
      sigpic
      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Well, good to know you don't think there's such thing as stupid questions - because I have a million of them & Google just isn't cutting it these days. So here's another then:

Why do cops pull people over for having a "dirty" license plate? Can I actually get a ticket for this? He let me "off with a warning." ---- Just so we're clear, I'm not hoodlum & don't look like one either.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeRoll View Post
          Well, good to know you don't think there's such thing as stupid questions - because I have a million of them & Google just isn't cutting it these days. So here's another then:

Why do cops pull people over for having a "dirty" license plate? Can I actually get a ticket for this? He let me "off with a warning." ---- Just so we're clear, I'm not hoodlum & don't look like one either.
          This should answer your question:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+46.2-716

Comment

Yep that answer's it. Thanks! Guess you guys have some good eye sight seeming as how he saw it while I was going down 66 @ night during rush hour....At least he wasn't mean.

Comment

Yeah , they don't hire us without 20/20 vision and an obsessive compulsive attention to detail... by the way you have spilled something on your shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by vsp645 View Post
                Yeah , they don't hire us without 20/20 vision and an obsessive compulsive attention to detail... by the way you have spilled something on your shirt.

You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vsp645 View Post

yeah well I'm saving it for later
                  .......I like snacking on it every now & then

Comment

I've searched to see if this was already posted/answered - couldn't find anything. Sorry if this is a stupid question - you'd think I'd already know the answer since I've lived here all my life - but, do county cops have authority on rt. 66?? (Just curious)

Rt. 66 ran from Chicago to Los Angeles, more than 2000 miles (mileage varied slightly depending on year and alignment as it was constantly being improved, it varied near 2400-2200 miles) It became an official U.S Highway in 1926, it was officially robbed of it's U.S Highway designation in 1985.

The picture above is taken from the California side of the Colorado at Needles, looking back east towards the old 1917 National Trails Arch bridge which predates Rt 66, it now carries pipe line over the river. It isn't much over one lane wide. You saw it in "The Grapes of Wrath" released in 1939, it was used for Rt 66 up into the early '50s. It's still pretty sharp looking.

That's Rt 66 on the right, I-40 on the left, RR center, looking west near Az/NM line. I've driven a majority of whats left of it, one can still drive from Chicago to Los Angeles and spend about 85% of their mileage on old Rt. 66. Takes longer than interstate, but the getting there and back is what makes a road trip. In some places you even have a choice as to whether you want to drive old old Rt. 66 or just old Rt. 66. You can often see old old Rt66 from just old Rt 66, or relics thereof.

It's all great, relaxing, fun, interesting, and historical. In two trips west, I've driven both old old and just old Rt 66. On Rt 66 will one pass such old famous sights as Owl Rock in western NM.

Ready to go back again, still much to see, both on Rt 66 and so many other roads. None of Rt 66 runs through Virginia.

We've also done a lot of the Lincoln Highway. Lee Highway, National Road, Midland Trail, and so many others. Even found a brick paved portion of the old Lincoln Highway to drive in Ohio, dates to early 19teens.

Found "Little Sure Shot's" final resting place by accident in western Ohio on one such trip as I drove north towads Lincoln Highway. She was an example of "special people".

Oh yeah ..........

Interstate 66 is a whole different deal and bears no relationship with "The Mother Road". As others said ... any local whose jurisdiction encompasses Interstate 66 has jurisdiction on Interstate 66 within such confines of said jurisdiction.

Sorry if I bore anyone, I was enjoying viewing and posting some pics, got a wee bit carried away.
                    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-09-2008, 03:52 AM.
                    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Wow! That's great! Not bored at all - just excited that now I have something else to look forward to - a roadtrip on old old Rt. 66....Haven't ever been on a road trip before (too afraid of getting lost because the road might be like I-495, which is all types of jacked up to me, circle or no circle, freaking N,S,E,W and all combo's inbetween - that & afraid if I get lost might get eaten by some dude in mask made of skin carrying a chainsaw or by some inbreed canibalistic family that mates with cows, goats, sheep, trees, whatever, who are gonna eat my inners & use my outers as a food dish & use my bladder as a balloon)....man I need to watch less horror movies.

....I'm sorry, what was I talking about before?....oh yeah....I'll have to do the road trip thing - hear there's a lot of great stops & restaurants along the way....hope gas prices come down by then.

Comment

btw, great pics! where was the brick rt. in ohio?? how long does it stretch for?
                        Last edited by CoffeeRoll; 09-06-2008, 07:59 PM. Reason: mental margarita

Comment

btw, great pics! where was the brick rt. 66 in ohio?? how long does it stretch for?
                          Rt 66 doesn't cross Ohio.

That was the Lincoln Highway, it predates the US road numbering that occurred in the mid '20s, it was marked using a painted emblem consisting of a top red stripe, white middle, blue bottom stripe with a black "L" on the white, or concrete markers like that from New York to San Francisco. The brick portion I photod above was later incorporatwed into US Rt 30 and later became a local road when Rt. 30 was rerouted slightly in the '40s.

You have a whole world of highway history awaiting your discovery across the USA, it parallels our developement as a nation, it's value lies in it's tying us together as one nation, or one people, just as sure as does the English we speak.

Our oldest highways were simply improved paths and trails used by those building this country from it's earliest days of habitation by man. Take Interstate 81 (please), it was built starting in Dec 1957 in Virginia near Buchanan, it was built along the old Rt 11 corridor. Rt 11 through the Shenandoah Valley was predated by the Great Wagon Road and before that by the Wilderness Road and Great Road. It had other names when only the indians used it for raiding and trade trips before the first Europeans came. Remnants dating back 100-200+ years ago still can be found along Rt 11.

The Shenandoah Valley takes it's name from the Shenandoah River, Shenandoah is an indian word meaning "daughter of the stars".

It fits. You too will fall under her spell.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-09-2008, 03:36 AM.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

sorry about the typo with ohio - got carried away with "66" starting to put it after everything :0P that's my way denying that I dumbed out.... I know it doesn't go through there - but it sure did seem like it did when I was typing it!

I hope I do fall in love with the location. I'm looking forward to a change in pace (not with work though - if I don't have some form of stress/adrenaline then I tend to stress about not having it)....I've driven through part of the Shenandoah Valley (very little of it), been hiking & camping in the Blueridge, & from what I've seen, it's just beautiful & makes you appreciate "home." I am a little reluctant about the move though - I know nothing of the people who live in the valley areas & don't know what there is to do for fun - suppose the people I meet at the hosp. I choose to work at will help me out with that - but I'm enjoying the heads up, descriptions, advise, etc. you're giving me ---- thank you! Keep it coming if you've got any more!

Comment

fellow "old" rt 66 road tripper here. i can vouch that its an awesome way to head west. we took it from st louis to flagstaff, went off of it to go to las vegas, and then picked it back up in LA and ended our trip at the santa monica pier. its a shame how much of it is gone, but it will never fully disappear. i do suggest going as soon as you can though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3885 users online. 269 members and 3616 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X