300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring stick?

This is sort of like a break off from another thread but what exactly is a spring stick?

From what I understand, the legal definition is a device on which you push a button that forcibly extends the shaft several times its original length through the use of a spring.

18.2-308

Would an ASP baton be considered a spring-stick under any interpretation of the code? It has to be manually opened -- there's no button or spring-assisted opening.

Is the unconcealed carry/possession of said ASP expressly prohibited under VA law?

I wouldn't advocate the carry of an ASP for non-LE llike myself, but should I worry about the possession of one? For example: I'm pulled over for speeding and I have the ASP (collapsed) in plain sight on the passenger seat. Would I have to worry about being charged/arrested for anything?
    Last edited by Till; 07-23-2008, 04:01 PM.

Coincidentally we were discussing that section this morning with a county attorney.

The way he described a spring stick was a spring loaded weapon, similar to a ASP baton, that was cylindrical and had a push button trigger on the butt end. If you put the tip against someone's head, and then triggered it, it could knock someone out.

It basically sounded like a Monadnock baton on steroids.
    Last edited by JayKay; 07-23-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

So one would be right in saying an ASP is not a spring-loaded stick under the definition of state law.

Comment

correct, it is NOT spring loaded...imagine if you were a good with a toy light saber if you ever had one, it extends in parts from momentum
        dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6150 users online. 341 members and 5809 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X